MTurboComp why so few reviews?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here we go again with the UI thing, as all the other Melda threads...

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 pm Here we go again with the UI thing, as all the other Melda threads...

Dude, what am I even looking at?
Speed 23%, Release 34%
I love intricate compressors, but for a million bucks I couldn't tell you what the hell that's supposed to be doing.

It's not just looks or layout (layout is a big one for me). Some Melda tools are plain confusing.

well, jo chicago, i can tell you what speed and release are on a compressor. they are pretty common. but, you are right in your point. let's look at this compressor. we have a "compression" knob and a "ratio" knob. unless the compression knob is indicating what KIND of compression (FET/TUBE so on) isn't the ratio the amount of compression? we also have a "saturation" and a "wet dry". unless the saturation is denoting a type of distortion, are they not the same thing?

i'll tell you one that still makes me pull on my hair. i bought MPOWERSYNTH. love that thing. the sound is delicious. but, it took me weeks to find the envelope amount. i'm still not sure i have yet. in the filter section there is a "range" measured in octaves. it does seem to act as an envelope amount on the cut off, but doesn't seem to apply the envelope to the cut off so much as extend the upward range of just the attack and decay! worse yet, it's the ONLY ENVELOPE AMOUNT on the whole damn power synth! are you kidding me! i love it other wise, and every time i open it i want to scream! it's a POWERSYNTH. where is the envelope amount? please GOD give me an envelope amount! is it so much to ask?!

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pmworse yet, it's the ONLY ENVELOPE AMOUNT on the whole damn power synth!
You have eight modulators, all of them able to act as an envelope with its own amount - besides being a LFO or a random value if you want.

When you chose to use the mod as LFO it can also be a step sequencer or a multi-stage envelope. More than that, you can blend all 'LFO' types together and - on top of that - gradually smooth them. Never seen such a flexibility in any other synth.

But you're right, the range design is also unique, but not in a good sense. It confuses so many users...

However, back to the original topic...

it's the labeling on these things... and all the nesting. {nest[nest(nest)]}. i can't even work a smart tv. i'm horrible with menu diving and coding too. programming has to be one of the most tedious tasks ever asked of man. i envy those with the focus, but it's not me. i need to know where to go and what to grab - and it's the labeling, the placement. "hhhmmmmm... where would i go to do such a thing, let me see." i own three melds plugs and i'm thinking about more because i LOVE the sound. the guy obviously knows... i mean, he understands what he is talking about... it's just... i don't. there's a communication issue there. it's a real learning curve.

elassi wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:56 pm
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:30 pmworse yet, it's the ONLY ENVELOPE AMOUNT on the whole damn power synth!
You have eight modulators, all of them able to act as an envelope with its own amount - besides being a LFO or a random value if you want.

When you chose to use the mod as LFO it can also be a step sequencer or a multi-stage envelope. More than that, you can blend all 'LFO' types together and - on top of that - gradually smooth them. Never seen such a flexibility in any other synth.

But you're right, the range design is also unique, but not in a good sense. It confuses so many users...

However, back to the original topic...

so, the range in the modulator window is the amount? and there are different types of ranges listed for what ever reason, i have no idea what all those are yet.

ah, i'm getting it, thanks to you elassi. the range sets a parameter in which the value can act.... instead of an envelope amount. again, thanks.

Maybe it's just not that popular? Generally popular gear gets a lot of reviews (either out of being good or being disappointing), so I assume it's not a big seller. Can't say I've even heard of the company, and the prices seem very high for a company that's not that well known.
Sweet child in time...

LOL. it's very high quality software that gives you options few, or no other, software gives you in a lot of cases, it just comes with a caveat. you have to actually LEARN how to use it. people are just overwhelmed by the options it's presents. it's overwhelming. like a whole isle of macaroni and cheese. i walked into the store a few weeks back and there was an intire isle of macaroni and cheese options. i walked out without macaroni. i didn't have time for that.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:51 pm LOL. it's very high quality software that gives you options few, or no other, software gives you in a lot of cases, it just comes with a caveat. you have to actually LEARN how to use it.
It's actually not that hard to understand. The basic insight to know (and that's true for any synth): Modulations turn a waveform into a 'sound'.

Envelopes are the most common modulations. Though we better call them shape tools. You shape a waveform until it sounds pleasant. Like a sculptor. This can be static (by filtering) or over time (by modulating). In addition, it can depend (if you want!) on the pitch or the velocity. Already sounds exciting, no?

Melda's modulating system adds many more sculpting tools to the arsenal. You don't need to understand them all to configure a nice sound. But the more you want to sculpt, the more you'll ask for them.

Example 1: A welcome method of sculpting is to apply it 'on the long run'. Have a boring repetitive 4 bar synth loop? Assign various modulations with various time frames. The more you add and the more they differ, the more your loop will become a loooong journey with no repetition at all.

Example 2: Want to hear something 'new' every time you press a key? Assign tiny randomness to some parameters, don't overdo it, just a small change. Listeners call it "livelyness", coders "humanizing", feuilletonists "expressiveness".

The Melda Mod System is there to provide you with all of this. And it's gets even better: Once you understood it by exercising with one Mplugin, you will understand any of their plugins.

Meh...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Vortifex wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 am MTurboComp = £175

MJUC = £21
DC8C = £20
DMG TrackComp = £74.99
Kotelnikov = free

Simple as that for me.
This.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Really not sure what's so confusing. You have presets on the left, and extensive metering section on the right, you're A-B comparisons that go all the way to H on the bottom along with a limiter button and an Automatic Gain Compensation Button.
The global controls control the dry/wet, saturation, and the compression knob increases the input while decreasing the amount so it's more like a drive button. Then you have side chain filters and regular compressor controls.
The reason it's in percentage instead of time is because the attack time and release time on any compressor is a lie anyway.

https://www.attackmagazine.com/features ... mpression/

jochicago wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:07 pm
Neon Breath wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 pm Here we go again with the UI thing, as all the other Melda threads...

Dude, what am I even looking at?
Speed 23%, Release 34%
I love intricate compressors, but for a million bucks I couldn't tell you what the hell that's supposed to be doing.

It's not just looks or layout (layout is a big one for me). Some Melda tools are plain confusing.

So any new plugin and interface is going to be confusing if you don't know how to use it. But can anybody honestly say after watching this short video that's it's still confusing? Or can somebody tell me another compressor that comes close to matching it's capabilities? The metering section alone on they're plugins puts them in a league of they're own.
Do any plugins offer better metering? Are there any other plugins that allow you to take compression settings you like then bullk process them onto every audio file in a folder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugot7j8JrSc&t=239s

Nothing from Melda is particularly difficult to use, tedious is probably a better word.
Anyway, most don't want an exorbitant number of parameters, couple that with
an interface many find uninspiring and popularity will suffer. Simple as that.

Not to mention the cost, while its true that you can get most everything at -50%,
IMO, 2000 euros for everything is insane.

Return to “Effects”