Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
kmonkey
KVRAF
3977 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 am

I am stupid. What is MPE? No really what is it? Some expression script engine what? Sorry for ot - please some links

And yeah that keyboard player is awesome. Totally.

andypryce
KVRist
124 posts since 2 Nov, 2014

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:20 am

kmonkey wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 am
I am stupid. What is MPE? No really what is it? Some expression script engine what? Sorry for ot - please some links

And yeah that keyboard player is awesome. Totally.


Midi Polyphonic Expression
One of the most differentiating functions from a regular keyboard is like you can pitch bend notes to opposite sides while playing a sound or pitch bend just one note etc ( with a suitable controller like Roli Seaboard, Linnstrument). And much more.
It is basically per note expression.

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/mpe.html

Reefius
KVRian
522 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Belgium

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am

Can we make this thread about Ableton Live 10.1 Beta again now? Thank you.

pottering
KVRian
679 posts since 14 Dec, 2014

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Exposing the Clip Modulation Envelopes as new button in the GUI was a good move, seeing some beginners asking about it, while before they wouldn't even notice Live has modulation (not only automation and the M4L stuff).

jlgrimes11
KVRer
3 posts since 5 Jan, 2008 from Atlanta

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Ableton always comes through in terms of minor releases.

I remember in v9 we got the cool new filters, this feels like v11.

zzz00m
KVRAF
1711 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:57 am

Reefius wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:56 am
Can we make this thread about Ableton Live 10.1 Beta again now? Thank you.
I think that it's great that Ableton will finally include VST3 support in 10.1, as that has been past due for quite some time now. :tu:

There are a few other FRs that they should consider soon, such as MPE. We will probably get that when it is ready, and not before. Rather have it working well when they do release it. Until then, there is always Bitwig. :lol:
Windows 10; with instruments from Ableton, AIR, Ample Sound, AAS, Cakewalk, IK Multimedia, iZotope, KV331, NI, PreSonus, Seaweed Audio, SONiVOX, TAL, Tracktion, u-he, Way Out Ware, XLN, others...

acYm
KVRian
901 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:11 pm

how has it been past due? vst2 just ended, and vst3 offers nothing of substance vs the older format (other than more bugs from what I've been reading lately)

had vst3 came before in Live, it would have been at the detriment of something more useful to be added, i.e. anything else.

User avatar
Deep Purple
KVRian
757 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:32 pm

It's not even relevant to anyone who uses AU plugins - I think a lot of Ableton's customers are on Macs, so I can't think it makes sense to put VST3 that high on the list of priorities.
Sweet child in time...

User avatar
Yorrrrrr
KVRian
721 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Cartagena - Colombia

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Does the use of AU instead of VST2/3 have any advantage for us Mac users?

dermage
KVRist
381 posts since 23 May, 2016

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:37 pm

acYm wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:11 pm
how has it been past due? vst2 just ended, and vst3 offers nothing of substance vs the older format (other than more bugs from what I've been reading lately)

had vst3 came before in Live, it would have been at the detriment of something more useful to be added, i.e. anything else.
1) There are more VST3 only plugins appearing: Auto-Tune 8+, PA Scheps Mono Upmix, and more.
2) There are VST with special functions only available in v3 eg. Pro-Q3 can only resize freely in VST3, Melodyne's ARA is VST3
3) Windows user counts are rising in the pro community

User avatar
Deep Purple
KVRian
757 posts since 9 Jan, 2015 from NY, NY

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Yorrrrrr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:35 pm
Does the use of AU instead of VST2/3 have any advantage for us Mac users?
I think the only advantage is that with VST you can share projects with Windows users
Sweet child in time...

dreamstate42
KVRer
8 posts since 13 Jan, 2019

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:33 am

Deep Purple wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:35 pm
Does the use of AU instead of VST2/3 have any advantage for us Mac users?
I think the only advantage is that with VST you can share projects with Windows users
According to my own, completely subjective experience, the AU versions of plugins even seem less "stable" or "reliable" to me than their VST counterparts. I try to stay clear of AU if possible myself :wink:
Ableton Live 10 / Bitwig Studio 2.4 / Logic Pro X

jonljacobi
KVRian
834 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:29 am

Hmm, I’ve had zero issues with AU in Live. But I never noticed any advantage either. The only real issue is cross-platform compatibility, which can be a pain, but is hardly an unsolvable issue. But I’d stick with the VSTs unless you’re using Logic which gives you no choice. Personally I try to work with the internal stuff wherever possible with Windows/macOS DAWs.

jonljacobi
KVRian
834 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am

BTW. The new features are quite nice. Now the #1 “can’t live without it, must have feature” in the forum is comping. Not something I care about. Most of my remaining wishes are interface related.

PieBerger
KVRist
190 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Re: Ableton Live 10.1 now in Beta

Post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:37 am

jonljacobi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:34 am
BTW. The new features are quite nice. Now the #1 “can’t live without it, must have feature” in the forum is comping. Not something I care about. Most of my remaining wishes are interface related.
Me neither, but comping will mean many people abandoning other DAWs for Live, which means more investment, which means more development and greater chance of features that I do care about coming to light :tu:
Always Read the Manual!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”