Omnisphere 2.6 announced at NAMM [RELEASED 27-03-19]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

twolegstoneworks wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 am Looking forward to 2.6. The new arp features will come to great use - and also really looking forward to control Omnisphere with my Virus TI.
I'm curious about it and will finally at least be able to experience this feature for myself but I'm still dubious as to its value. My Virus is setup, and labelled, to control a Virus, the labels and layout are all different from Omnisphere so how am I going to know or remember which knob corresponds to which control on Omnisphere? I still think I'll end up going back to Komplete Kontrol which at least breaks the interface down into logical sections and labels everything.

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 am
twolegstoneworks wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:45 am Looking forward to 2.6. The new arp features will come to great use - and also really looking forward to control Omnisphere with my Virus TI.
I'm curious about it and will finally at least be able to experience this feature for myself but I'm still dubious as to its value. My Virus is setup, and labelled, to control a Virus, the labels and layout are all different from Omnisphere so how am I going to know or remember which knob corresponds to which control on Omnisphere? I still think I'll end up going back to Komplete Kontrol which at least breaks the interface down into logical sections and labels everything.
Yep, it will be interesting to see/feel how it works.
music // twolegs // geometriae
sounddesign // twolegstoneworks

Re the Virus - it should control the same functions, that’s how hardware integration works. Sometimes there’s a variation or two for controls that don’t have an equivalent, but that’s about it.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 amMy Virus is setup, and labelled, to control a Virus, the labels and layout are all different from Omnisphere so how am I going to know or remember which knob corresponds to which control on Omnisphere?
Maybe go back and watch some of the videos to understand what hardware integration is. The *whole point* of it is that the labelled knobs on whatever supported hardware you use control basically the same function in Omnisphere - so you don't have silly mappings to do, or remember which random knob controls which random Omnisphere function.

If you have eg an Osc 2 octave knob, that's what it will do in Omnisphere...

When 2.6 drops it'll include a profile for my Nord Wave. From watching videos I understand that once I select it I will hear Omni making Wave-like sounds which respond to the HW interface. Great!

But does it work the same way if I'm using the Wave to control a different synth's sounds in Omni, or standard Omni sounds?

beely wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:59 am
aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 amMy Virus is setup, and labelled, to control a Virus, the labels and layout are all different from Omnisphere so how am I going to know or remember which knob corresponds to which control on Omnisphere?
Maybe go back and watch some of the videos to understand what hardware integration is. The *whole point* of it is that the labelled knobs on whatever supported hardware you use control basically the same function in Omnisphere - so you don't have silly mappings to do, or remember which random knob controls which random Omnisphere function.

If you have eg an Osc 2 octave knob, that's what it will do in Omnisphere...
Yeah but Omnisphere has many more things it can do than a Virus, including more oscs and filters, granular synthesis etc. so how do I access those?

samsam wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:12 pm When 2.6 drops it'll include a profile for my Nord Wave. From watching videos I understand that once I select it I will hear Omni making Wave-like sounds which respond to the HW interface. Great!

But does it work the same way if I'm using the Wave to control a different synth's sounds in Omni, or standard Omni sounds?
All the while you are connected using the hardware profile, you can control these functions in Omni. So you can change oscillators or indeed whole patches, and other controls will work up to a point, but if the architecture of that patch is quite different you may run into problems.

Personally I think the best way of looking at it is to program using the controller, but if you need something extra the hardware doesn’t have, manually add it in Omni.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:29 pm
samsam wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:12 pm When 2.6 drops it'll include a profile for my Nord Wave. From watching videos I understand that once I select it I will hear Omni making Wave-like sounds which respond to the HW interface. Great!

All the while you are connected using the hardware profile, you can control these functions in Omni. So you can change oscillators or indeed whole patches, and other controls will work up to a point, but if the architecture of that patch is quite different you may run into problems.

Personally I think the best way of looking at it is to program using the controller, but if you need something extra the hardware doesn’t have, manually add it in Omni.
Perfect, thanks.

Can't wait!

aMUSEd wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pmYeah but Omnisphere has many more things it can do than a Virus, including more oscs and filters, granular synthesis etc. so how do I access those?
It has many more things than most hardware synths!

Spectrsonics feature is adapting the architecture of OS to the hardware synth, so you can control it like the hardware. If you want to do something in Omnisphere that the hardware doesn't support, then you do it just as you did before the hardware profile feature (ie manually, with the GUI, with regular MIDI controller mappings, whatever.)

No one's saying that you can control 100% of the features of OS with a boutique SH-101 - but when you use one of those as a hardware profile, OS *becomes* a 101 so you get 1:1 control mapping. Nothing stopping you making additional settings in OS, but that's not what the hardware profiles are for.

telecode wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm Hi. Just wondering from people who have experience, why is Omnisphere so much? Compared to Diva, does it offer.lots more functionality and better quality VST sounds?
We use them both as main synths. We think they fit together very nicely :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Does anyone have experience in this situation:
- You select a hardware profile matching your synth and begin tweaking
- Using your mouse in Omni you choose a new filter type that's not part of the hardware synth profile
- You resume tweaking the sound on your hardware synth and change the resonance amount, filter env amount etc
- What happens to the sound? Does the filter immediately swap back to the hardware profile filter type if you adjust the filter level itself; switch only if you adjust the 'filter type' (ie 12db, 24db); or does it 'remember' that you manually changed the filter type and will now ignore filter type changes on the hardware?

- As another example, let's say your hardware profile synth has a simple delay. You go into Omni via mouse and change the delay type. Now you go back to editing via your hardware and change the delay time. Does that delay switch back to the hardware profile delay type, or does it keep the new delay you selected via mouse?

Imagine the hardware profile had a simple delay and you switched it for the BPM x3, if the delay type doesn't change then altering the time parameter could now result in a weird mess. On the other hand if Omni keeps reverting your manual choices back to the hardware then that keeps you penned into the flavor of that profile.

I've just bought my first hardware synth since the 90s so will be able to answer that myself in a week or two, but am curious how this operates.

Richard deHove wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 pm Does anyone have experience in this situation:
- You select a hardware profile matching your synth and begin tweaking
- Using your mouse in Omni you choose a new filter type that's not part of the hardware synth profile
- You resume tweaking the sound on your hardware synth and change the resonance amount, filter env amount etc
- What happens to the sound? Does the filter immediately swap back to the hardware profile filter type if you adjust the filter level itself; switch only if you adjust the 'filter type' (ie 12db, 24db); or does it 'remember' that you manually changed the filter type and will now ignore filter type changes on the hardware?

- As another example, let's say your hardware profile synth has a simple delay. You go into Omni via mouse and change the delay type. Now you go back to editing via your hardware and change the delay time. Does that delay switch back to the hardware profile delay type, or does it keep the new delay you selected via mouse?

Imagine the hardware profile had a simple delay and you switched it for the BPM x3, if the delay type doesn't change then altering the time parameter could now result in a weird mess. On the other hand if Omni keeps reverting your manual choices back to the hardware then that keeps you penned into the flavor of that profile.

I've just bought my first hardware synth since the 90s so will be able to answer that myself in a week or two, but am curious how this operates.
Although I don't have a hardware unit to use with a profile, I have looked at the midi assignments and I believe that when you change a filter type or effect type, it will revert to that which is assigned for the profile, but only if it's in the slot that it is assigned to. For example a certain hardware profile might just use one filter so tha hardware selection would change perhaps the first filter. If the second one doesn't get used, then you should be able to add one there without having it removed, but it won't be controlled by the hardware. Similarly if you added an effect in a slot that isn't used by the profile it should stay, but if it is in the slot where the profile calls up an effect, then it will change to the effect that the profile uses.

Yes, that sounds right to me Echoes. The principle is - defaults when you start a hardware profile, and these only change when you specifically change something regarding it.

One sort of thing that wouldn't work is changing a Juno pulse waveform to an OB type of pulse in Omni and then switching to a saw from hardware hoping it would change to an OB Saw. The saw would snap back to a Juno from the hardware profile. However, if your synth has a pulse width control, and you changed your Juno pulse to an OB pulse, then changing the pulse width would most likely work on that OB (assuming you picked a comparable OB wavetable). Same thing with filters - if you changed from one type to another, assuming it was a similar type and you changed it in the right place in Omni, your freq and resonance etc should work just fine with the different filter.

So one trick you could do is to hot rod your profile just a little. More of a warm rod than a hot rod. You could swap out a control or two and save the tweaks to the hardware profile, and then swap out a filter or something, and save that as a new custom INIT. You couldn't go as far as changing all the osc types though, that stuff is beyond user-control.

One thing I'm probably gonna try with the MS-20iC is adding pulse width modulation. It's not possible with either Diva nor the Korg MS-20 vst. However I think it should be possible to map one of the rarely-used hardware controls I'm not too fussed about to control the LFO depth to the wavetable. That can be done in the profile tweaks. That's the kind of thing where hardware integration really does make sense to me.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Very interesting, thanks. There still doesn't seem to be much in-depth info on all this. Am looking forward to trying it out (and having some real hardware again).

Caine123 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 am synapse audio would make a dune 4 out of this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

spectrasonics kick A**!!!!
That’s unfair. Those new analog modeled filters are really, really good, and Dune is a much cheaper synth to begin with.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Instruments”