What do you prefer? iLok or USB-eLicenser?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

oh yay, another ilok thread
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

i actually think it would be a good idea to make one thread and refer everyone to that one who wants to talk about it. Like make it where that is where all the talk is required to be and nowhere else.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:15 am i actually think it would be a good idea to make one thread and refer everyone to that one who wants to talk about it. Like make it where that is where all the talk is required to be and nowhere else.
you know there is such a place, we like to call it gearslutz :ud:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

a finishing nail, driven into my eye, by a 5 year old.

I experience no issues with either. I have numerous things on the Syncrosoft dongle and a few things soft iLok.
Right now the dongle is lit, I'm using Nuendo and VE Pro and numerous VSL (dozens) and Activity Monitor Active Processes doesn't have it under CPU or memory.

I have never seen iLok under either (as a background process). ATM, I'm using Softube Saturation Knob (it has an automation parameter which is used in project) and there is no iLok showing as an active process. Playback project where it's being called upon to work specifically, moving the knob via automation: Nope.

So they do not appear to use resources here unless open. Let's look: there it is, iLok auth manager using 170-some MB of RAM, .6% of CPU, updating (my choice). :shrug: 6 activations.

i don't use either...because...well.. i don't have to.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I prefer neither...

PACE runs more than one process. Not under that name. Been awhile since I've let it on my system, so I can't recall what they are, but they're there. And a parasite doesn't try to kill it's host, it just has the result of making sure it never runs at a 100% while it's there.

Thanks for confirming it still sucks off the system.
The last time I dealt with their support, it was that direct lie I caught them in that got me to decide never to let anything on my system that requires it again.

I still would like to know the specific problems that eLicense gave that one commenter though.
Just in case it happens to me in the future.

The company with the protection I prefer?
U-he.

I would rather experience trepanning

BBFG# wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 am The company with the protection I prefer?
U-he.
The company I prefer is Cockos. REAPER has no protection at all.

If Cockos advertises, but I'm almost sure it doesn't, it should use that as a slogan. "Cockos... No Protection At All"

It's like the opposite slogan of Trojan. Well, I don't actually remember what Trojan's slogans are/were.

All I know is that Trojan always reminds me of one, or is it 30+(?) of this guy's songs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

BBFG# wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:26 am
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:46 pm Constant problems with eLicensor, none with iLok
What kinds of problems?
( Ernest question.)
Usually things like a whole bunch of plugins not getting scanning into or loaded in a host every now and then due to the Synsops driver not being loaded, then having to remove and reinsert the dongle and rescan everything (in some cases also unblacklist the plugins) - never had that with iLok

I've never had an issue with either. Been using eLicenser since Cubase SL3 on Mac/PC and iLok for around 2 years on Mac, but I prefer software that doesn't use them where possible and won't buy iLok plugins that only give me 1 activation (e.g. Exponential Audio).

BBFG# wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 am PACE runs more than one process. Not under that name. Been awhile since I've let it on my system, so I can't recall what they are, but they're there. And a parasite doesn't try to kill it's host, it just has the result of making sure it never runs at a 100% while it's there.

Thanks for confirming it still sucks off the system.
I for one confirmed no such thing. I don't have any dog in the fight, but you are making some assertions as to facts which I cannot verify.
processes.png
None of these are PACE or iLok. There are others which come and go, but they're all system*.
I've seen this assertion numerous times, and I was curious. This is what is running and some *fundamental background services. I ran the Manager, it used that amount of RAM and the .6% of a core.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I use both of them in parallel without any issues.

It's been awhile since I've dealt with iLok , but I do remember that the (3?) processes were not under PACE or iLok. And support's last argument was, "well, it doesn't use much" (so what if we told you it didn't use anything). My number one reason for not using PACE now is the company and support.
There's no fight here. The OP asked, I stated what I won't use and why, and I feel no need to argue over it. As a couple have said here, it does indeed use something. And I know the only way that those who use it can confirm it is by removing it completely and checking the difference. Which I wouldn't demand anyone to do.

I'm fine with those who want to use it. After three separate times of dealing with them, they've struck out with me. That's all. And I also have little trust with those that demand to use it for their software but refuse to put its requirement up front. And instead make you search for it.

This is the only thing I'll keep repeating. IMO: It should always be an option to use and never a requirement.

And for the other person telling me the problems they've had with eLicenser, thanks.
I think I've had that happen too, seems like maybe after a major update? Not sure, but running the maintenance task have resolved it so far.

However, not to do with the eLicenser, but Steinberg... I just installed Cubase AI and got a bunch of blacklist programs in it. Contacted support, and they've got me mostly sorted now. And there's always been this quirk with them that I have to move their ASIO driver from their folder and keep it on my desktop (and put out back there while installing an update). Otherwise it demands to be the driver in everything and updates come up with an error if it can't find it.

But yeah, I've heard horror stories about both. Even threw both in a drawer for a couple of years until they both made an offer on software and promised they had improved. And well, everyone knows the rest now.

Return to “Instruments”