How do I make this lead synth sound here ?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I like this synth lead that is first heard at 2m47
I know its a Saw, but is it layered with anything else? There is an amount of reverb in there too obviously...
Any other insight you can give me to make this sound is much appreciated.

I think the synth used was Ana2 (which I don't have).

https://soundcloud.com/neodeavid/eternal-love#t=2:43
Reaper (win), i7-7700k, 16GB

It's vibrato.
Almost any synth can do it. slight pitch movement done with an lfo
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks @choos, the pitch bending is in there.
I'm looking for input on if the Saw wave is mixed with another OSC with a square, is there Resonance in there, Drive, Saturation, Reverb, distortion etc...?

It does sound like "just a SAW". Not even filtered. Or a highpass filter. Maybe some pre-filter drive and/or post filter Waveshaping.

But there are many "SAW" shapes. A "perfect" SAW is a straight (diagonal) line from +1 to -1. But that line can be curved under or above this straight line. Some don't cross 0 a half cycle but before or after. Some don't even have their peak value at start and/or and of their cycle. And all of the sound slightly different.

Generally, for a rich SAW (lots of high frequencies) it needs to have a sharp point at start/end of cycle (jumps straight from -1 to +1, then slopes downward to -1). Any upward curve from the start to peak generally leads to loss of high frequencies. Curves above the straight line tend to give more low frequencies. Curves below, less. Drive generally leads to non-linear effects (clipping/distortion). Overdrive/clipping generally leads to a more square waveshape since peaks are trimmed, leading to more odd partials.

A (free) synthesizer like Surge offers many wave shapes/tables and has multiple option to further shape waves into many derived shapes. So you can create many "SAW" shapes. Surge has both pre-filter mixer GAIN (drive) and post filter Waveshaping. Generally adds high frequency content. And various filtertypes (even a fully opened filter may change the sound just right). There's an FX section too, with distortion option with pre and post flitering. And much more....

Vember Audio - Surge
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio

But as CHOOS said....many synths can probably come close. But there are many variables to tweak if you want to get the exact same sound.

just had another look at this.
If you use tremolo, vibrato, unison and boost the highs a little of a simple saw osc, you're there.
Then drown it in reverb and some delay.

I got it sounding 98% in charlatan but the vibrato has some attack on it (as in it starts a little after you hit the note) which charlatan can't do as far as I know but almost every synth can
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

Thanks @Choos (and @Kwruqx)... I got 75% there in VPS Avenger.
Your input might get me the extra 25%.
I knew it was reverbed, but not delayed. I'll look at an attack vibrato and boosting the hi ends.
Also might try different forms of saws, not just the regular triangle.

Just had a look too. To get a similar sound in Surge you could try;

2 Oscillators. Minimally detuned (0.02). And a few percents Oscillator drift. To make it a bit lively.
Classic Saws, These saws curve below the "perfect" saw line. Width to some 8-10%, Shape to some -15%. This is like mixing a narrow pulse with the Saw. Gives the saw a "notch" at the start of the cycle. A bit like the "imperfection" in the saw shape of the Yamaha CS80. Use one of the legato MONO modes.
Mixer Gain to some +20/25 dB. This is the pre-filter drive and gives it that distortion/richness.
Send it through a nearly completely opened 4-pole (24 dB/oct) Lowpass ladder filter (cutoff around 10Khz) . Maybe 2 parallel to get some extra life.
Maybe a slow attack/decay for the filter cutoff (several seconds, some 12 semitones modulation) to some 50% sustain for some more life . Pretty long release too. For the amp about 2 seconds attack decay to some 98% sustain and long release.
A bit of portamento (to smoothly move between the faster notes) and some 4 Hz of vibrato (pitch modulation via LFO, with some attack time so it does not immediately starts modulation).

The result is "brighter" then the lead in the track. This might be "solved" by delay and/or reverb...and/or some EQ and/or a chorus.

Good luck....

Simple supersaw with vibrato and glide. Resonant filter gives it a little wshistling edge.
Nothing extraordinary here - just go and practice.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Sound Design”