Waveform 10 vs other DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

i've been looking at this over the last few days and, i have to say it seems tracktion/waveform has come a long way since i first used it.
it seems to be very well thought out and it's looking like the daw i may use on a laptop, because of the uncluttered interface. it's definitely maturing a bit and is worthy of investigation. there is a lot under the hood ( i was looking for some kind of slicer in previous versions which indeed it now has! if you look through the menus you'll find tonnes of really well thought out functionality. it's worthy of mention with other daws these days.

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:57 am To be honest, I'm kind of digging it. I may plop down for the basic and try it for a tune or two.
no need to be ashamed : )
'tis a solid piece of kit...
at the very least i would use this for composing. i like all the chord track stuff....

I have Waveform 8 and it runs really well w/ no issues (light on CPU also). I use all of my VST's with no problems. I can easily finish complete tracks as well. If you don't have a Push controller (I have Ableton and Push) and do not have a need for Max 4 Live then I'd go with Waveform 10 over Ableton. Most of those M4L patches don't even map to Push...and the ones that do cost money, that along with the price of Ableton Suite...not a cheap route for a DAW. I wouldn't get Intro.
Ableton Live 10 / Push

There's a lot to like about Waveform, I have v9. I find the workflow fast and convenient, particularly when creating more than mixing.

There's also a lot to dislike. I personally don't use it anymore, moved to Studio One. T7 and W9 crash constantly, tons of compatibility problems with commercial plugins, stupid bugs that have been known for years, etc. Just can't use it when I also have S1 available. (Windows 10, Ryzen 7 CPU)

Price-wise, it may seem somewhat inviting but don't be fooled. S1 Pro can be had second hand or on a good sale for less than $200. When you compare S1 vs W9 at roughly the same price, IMO there's no competition at all. W9 is not ready to play in the big leagues by a distance. S1 never crashes (for me), near 0 compatibility issues, the stock plugins are a world apart in quality, the engine handles twice the load before it crackles.

My advice: try it first, and try it for a while. It is easy to like a lot of the cool features, but see if you can also take the bad with the good. Then buy it on sale so it will sting less when it acts up.
Last edited by jochicago on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

you Mac or PC?

What is S1?
jochicago wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 am There's a lot to like about Waveform, I have v9. I find the workflow fast and convenient, particularly when creating more than mixing.

There's also a lot to dislike. I personally don't use it anymore, moved to S1. T7 and W9 crash constantly, tons of compatibility problems with commercial plugins, stupid bugs that have been known for years, etc. Just can't use it when I also have S1 available.

Price-wise, it may seem somewhat inviting but don't be fooled. S1 Pro can be had second had or on a good sale for less than $200. When you compare S1 vs W9 at roughly the same price, IMO there's no competition at all. W9 is not ready to play in the big leagues by a distance. S1 never crashes (for me), near 0 compatibility issues, the stock plugins are a world apart in quality, the engine handles twice the load before it crackles.

My advice: try it first, and try it for a while. It is easy to like a lot of the cool features, but see if you can also take the bad with the good. Then buy it on sale so it will sting less when it acts up.

Tracktion user since 2004, switched to Ableton in 2011 when Mackie dumped Tracktion, always kept a copy of Tracktion around & always updated to support the guys.

Reading this thread got me thinking about how Tracktion has matured since I used it as my main DAW. Managed to get a copy of T1 running to appreciate how far its come:
Not bad for a 15 year old daw; here's the same T1 demo project in Waveform 9:
I think I like where W10 is going but not in a hurry to upgrade, very much wed to the Ableton / Push ecosystem now...but it's good sometimes to stop, take a look behind you, and appreciate how far you've come.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

I'm still on 9, getting a bit fed up with the push for yearly paid updates, I think this year the changes are pretty superficial and not worth it for me.

Waveform is the BeezKneez

inkwarp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:45 pm and it's looking like the daw i may use on a laptop, because of the uncluttered interface.
I use W9/W10 everyday on the train with a 15.6" laptop. Really nice.

jochicago wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 am Price-wise, it may seem somewhat inviting but don't be fooled. S1 Pro can be had second hand or on a good sale for less than $200. When you compare S1 vs W9 at roughly the same price, IMO there's no competition at all.
I can get Waveform 9 for less then $50 used. Your point on price is Used vs New.
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

I use Waveform 9 so much I even use it Live. Haven't had an issue. Waveform 10 has a plugin that verifies it and can be sent to the developer. Waveform 10 reboots to your project with everything saved in 1 - 3 seconds.

I enjoy using Waveform 10 more then any other DAW. I have a ton and used a tracker in the 80s so to me that means a ton.

I just need something to launch clips the way I want and follows verse, chorus, bridge etc. better then Live or Bitwig!
-------------------
Bitwig is my DAWs and UHe and Tracktion Synths are my Bae. I maybe buy one synth a year. REMEMBER SELF just one synth a year!

pdxindy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 am you Mac or PC?
Mac and so reading all the reports of bad performance on Mac already has me thinking against W10 tbh

jochicago wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:58 am There's a lot to like about Waveform, I have v9. I find the workflow fast and convenient, particularly when creating more than mixing.

There's also a lot to dislike. I personally don't use it anymore, moved to Studio One. T7 and W9 crash constantly, tons of compatibility problems with commercial plugins, stupid bugs that have been known for years, etc. Just can't use it when I also have S1 available. (Windows 10, Ryzen 7 CPU)

Price-wise, it may seem somewhat inviting but don't be fooled. S1 Pro can be had second hand or on a good sale for less than $200. When you compare S1 vs W9 at roughly the same price, IMO there's no competition at all. W9 is not ready to play in the big leagues by a distance. S1 never crashes (for me), near 0 compatibility issues, the stock plugins are a world apart in quality, the engine handles twice the load before it crackles.

I'm strongly considering S1 Pro too after seeing a lot of KVR users recommend it. I'm really liking Ableton's workflow right now however but with the $9.99 per month price on Splice it's very tempting. What would you say are the advantages of S1 Pro over Ableton Live Suite? (Btw speaking of prices, I'd be buying Live with an EDU license so I'd be saving like 30/40 percent which is why I'm even considering it)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”