0-Coast + ARP Odyssey vs Vermona Perfourmer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have you considered a Waldorf Pulse 2 or Elektron Analog-4? You don't have to make sacrifices to get good sound - you can have all the conveniences of modern synths with the classic sound of old-school analogue if you want it. I paid less than $500 for a used Pulse 2 and around $800 for my Analog Keys (Analog-4 with a keyboard), also used.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:55 am
I just thought about another option which has slipped under my radar untill today (dominion 1/x) but I am not sure if that would be to intimidating for me. Really loving the sound though and I could get a dominion 1 for about 750€ atm which would be a lot cheaper than the perfourmer.
Sounds like a good deal to me, I would jump on it. Can't see how it would be intimidating.
Then wait for the Behringer Odyssey.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:58 am Have you considered a Waldorf Pulse 2 or Elektron Analog-4? You don't have to make sacrifices to get good sound - you can have all the conveniences of modern synths with the classic sound of old-school analogue if you want it. I paid less than $500 for a used Pulse 2 and around $800 for my Analog Keys (Analog-4 with a keyboard), also used.
The Pulse 1/2 has sparked my interest since a long time. It actually sounds great and is relatively cheap but I am not sure if it is what I am looking for. Can you get it to sound warm and lush or is the character a bit harsh in general?
The analog four is definitely interesting but I am not completely sold on the sound yet.
How would you describe the overall character of your analog four?

stimresp wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 am
layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:55 am
I just thought about another option which has slipped under my radar untill today (dominion 1/x) but I am not sure if that would be to intimidating for me. Really loving the sound though and I could get a dominion 1 for about 750€ atm which would be a lot cheaper than the perfourmer.
Sounds like a good deal to me, I would jump on it. Can't see how it would be intimidating.
Then wait for the Behringer Odyssey.
I guess I will actually do this, the posibilities on the dominion seem to be endless and at this price almost nothing compares feature/sound wise :) Would you say it is worth going for a dominion x for 150-200€ less?
They seem to be pretty identical, apart from a few small differences. On the plus side it is way smaller and would be better suited for live usage.

egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:11 am
layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:56 am I thought about the model d but I heard there are some tuning issues with units and a few other little issues, how reliable is yours?
The oscillators seem to drift over time. This seems to be a behaviour common to Minimoogs, so the Behringer model D is authentic, but this isn't ideal in live situations. This was just something people put up with in the seventies when the Minimoog came out.

I think the Crave sounds amazing, even with a single oscillator. Another one to consider is the Korg Minilogue XD. While it is a 4-voice polysynth, it does have the filter from the monologue, which has a very nice bass sound, even when resonance is turned up. It also has a third digital oscillator that is custom programmable.

If you don't mind pure digital and want something very different, then Arturia's MicroFreak is another very interesting and great sounding new synth.
Well it seems like it does not affect every unit and there is a way to fix it but you need special equipment and some knowledge of what you are doing. Minilogue XD also got my interest, sounds a lot better than the first one imo (too thin) but I am not sure if it would be the right synth for me. I need to see/hear more of it. The microfreak looks interesting and it does sound nice but it is not even close to the others for me, especially since I am already covered on the digital side of things.

modularfreq wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 am Also very nice for Acid / Techno / House is the Leploop 2.
It takes some time to master, but once you do .... :party:
Check this out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JlXt30wNHg
Looks very interesting but I think this would be better as some kind of addon when I have at least 1 other synth :)
Hard to find reviews on this and they are quite mixed, do you have one of these?

the crave is definitely one to keep an eye on, at that price especially. im sure ill be picking one up at some point. gutted i didn't get in on the cheap preorders :lol:

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:04 pm the crave is definitely one to keep an eye on, at that price especially. im sure ill be picking one up at some point. gutted i didn't get in on the cheap preorders :lol:
It is pretty much a no brainer, the only downside - I heard that it will be coming Q4 2019.
So we still have to wait some time :wink: Have you checked out the demo of the behringer odyssey though?
Sounds incredible... And they said it will be about 400-500€ for the keyboard version. I can not wait :D

The 0-Coast bass sound is more along the lines of what I would associate with an FM bass, not a warm, fat analog bass.

For warm and fat bass, you really can’t beat the Model D. With 3 oscillators and a 24db filter, that is where it excels. And yeah, the original Minimoog wasn’t known for staying in tune.

The Crave and Mother-32 will get you good bass, but not the huge sound of three detuned oscillators, so keep that in mind.

The Odyssey is great, but again, it has a different sound, so you really need to try these things and decide what you prefer.

Neutron sounds great to my ears, but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice when making a bass sound.

In the end, most of these synths have more in common than differences. You can make music with any of them, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:08 pm The 0-Coast bass sound is more along the lines of what I would associate with an FM bass, not a warm, fat analog bass.

For warm and fat bass, you really can’t beat the Model D. With 3 oscillators and a 24db filter, that is where it excels. And yeah, the original Minimoog wasn’t known for staying in tune.

The Crave and Mother-32 will get you good bass, but not the huge sound of three detuned oscillators, so keep that in mind.

The Odyssey is great, but again, it has a different sound, so you really need to try these things and decide what you prefer.

Neutron sounds great to my ears, but it probably wouldn’t be my first choice when making a bass sound.

In the end, most of these synths have more in common than differences. You can make music with any of them, and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Thank you, I guess the model d would be the perfect entry choice (especially considering the price).
And I would have enough left to get either the dominon 1/x or the 0-coast.
The only problem is that it is a bit hard to demo the synths because about 50% of them are not available at my location.

layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm
Looks very interesting but I think this would be better as some kind of addon when I have at least 1 other synth :)
Hard to find reviews on this and they are quite mixed, do you have one of these?
I have the Leploop 2 and have the 0 Coast as well.

Leploop is fantastic ! Just a bit of a steep starting learning curve, but the sound and performance possibilities are great. They are hand made in Italy and not too common.

For semi modular, another favorite of mine is the Pittsburgh Lifeforms SV-1.
Very thick, warm , fat analog bass and leads and very fast envelopes for percussion.

Gets a lot of use on Acid and Techno releases.

layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pmCan you get it to sound warm and lush or is the character a bit harsh in general?
I have no idea what "warm and lush" means. Honestly. Pulse 2 has a huge sound - you can have three separate oscillators or you can have one paraphonic oscillator with 4 or 8 voices. The filter is perfectly fine and it has modulation options up the wazoo. All the elements are there, it's up to you to make it "warm and lush" by programming it appropriately. I run it thorough a distortion effect so it's definitely not harsh enough for me on it's own.
The analog four is definitely interesting but I am not completely sold on the sound yet.
In a word - breathtaking. It' incredible. The depth and breadth of timbres it is capable of is unbelievable. It's the first synth I've owned in 30 years that I feel has stretched the bounds of what I can do with those same basic building blocks. I think a lot of that is in the approach of the sound designers who contributed presets - they do things in a very unconventional way that I found strange at first, but soon embraced wholeheartedly. e.g. Some of the joystick modulation seems absolutely ridiculous at first but once you get used to it, it offers profound sound-shaping possibilities. It is really something you need to experience yourself but for me it has been a game-changer in the way I approach things. It is definitely as much at home doing the silky-smooth stuff as it is the huge cinematic sounds I mostly use it for. It does some nice basslines, too.

Here's one out of left-field you should absolutely consider - Audiothingies MicroMonsta. It is 100% digital but it's capable of being the most analogue sounding digital synth around. It's cheap, it's tiny but it is joy to use, both to play and to program. It is also amazingly full-featured. And it has 8 note polyphony, so it is a lot more useful than anything else you'd be looking at. I think it's just about the most under-rated hardware synth around.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

modularfreq wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 pm
layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm
I have the Leploop 2 and have the 0 Coast as well.

Leploop is fantastic ! Just a bit of a steep starting learning curve, but the sound and performance possibilities are great. They are hand made in Italy and not too common.

For semi modular, another favorite of mine is the Pittsburgh Lifeforms SV-1.
Very thick, warm , fat analog bass and leads and very fast envelopes for percussion.

Gets a lot of use on Acid and Techno releases.
The pittsburgh sounds great, one more to consider :)
If you had to choose between the leploop and the 0-coast, which one would you take?

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37 pm
layer of haze wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 pmCan you get it to sound warm and lush or is the character a bit harsh in general?
I have no idea what "warm and lush" means. Honestly. Pulse 2 has a huge sound - you can have three separate oscillators or you can have one paraphonic oscillator with 4 or 8 voices. The filter is perfectly fine and it has modulation options up the wazoo. All the elements are there, it's up to you to make it "warm and lush" by programming it appropriately. I run it thorough a distortion effect so it's definitely not harsh enough for me on it's own.
In a word - breathtaking. It' incredible. The depth and breadth of timbres it is capable of is unbelievable. It's the first synth I've owned in 30 years that I feel has stretched the bounds of what I can do with those same basic building blocks. I think a lot of that is in the approach of the sound designers who contributed presets - they do things in a very unconventional way that I found strange at first, but soon embraced wholeheartedly. e.g. Some of the joystick modulation seems absolutely ridiculous at first but once you get used to it, it offers profound sound-shaping possibilities. It is really something you need to experience yourself but for me it has been a game-changer in the way I approach things. It is definitely as much at home doing the silky-smooth stuff as it is the huge cinematic sounds I mostly use it for. It does some nice basslines, too.

Here's one out of left-field you should absolutely consider - Audiothingies MicroMonsta. It is 100% digital but it's capable of being the most analogue sounding digital synth around. It's cheap, it's tiny but it is joy to use, both to play and to program. It is also amazingly full-featured. And it has 8 note polyphony, so it is a lot more useful than anything else you'd be looking at. I think it's just about the most under-rated hardware synth around.
Nice to hear, they are both on my list for sure. English is not my native language, I meant a warm and "juicy" sound, hard do describe exactly what I mean but this demo sums it up pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yb3MIMmXbg
The micromonsta is really appealing, especially considering the formfactor.
Does it sound better than the arturia plugins? Some of them are a bit hit and miss but the good ones sound pretty great.

Might not be cheap but the Arturia MatrixBrute is insanely good. It’s up there on my wish list next to a Arp2600.
:borg:

layer of haze wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:45 am
The pittsburgh sounds great, one more to consider :)
If you had to choose between the leploop and the 0-coast, which one would you take?
I think the 0 coast is much more versatile sound wise, but what the leploop does, it does very well ! Plus the sequencer... The one in the leploop is tricky, but as you can hear in the youtube videos.. it's pure underground goodness and will give you many inspiring rhythms and riffs.

Personally, for pure modern underground acid and techno I would take the leploop 2 + 0 Coast combo and forget about that "warm vintage bass". If you have a good kick with plenty of sub and sounds from those two synths on top you will be good for many tracks :tu:

0 coast is a beautiful little beast

layer of haze wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:45 amThe micromonsta is really appealing, especially considering the formfactor. Does it sound better than the arturia plugins? Some of them are a bit hit and miss but the good ones sound pretty great.
It's hard to say - Analog Lab doesn't get on very well with my host so I have hardly used it but MicroMonsta is very capable and has a really sweet core sound - it's thick and smooth, probably what you'd call "juicy". Listening to the video, I don't think MicroMonsta would have any trouble doing that piece, although you'd need to drown it in your own reverb, as it only comes with delay effects.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”