SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

did i miss something ? where are the ST2 legacy Instruments Import like in ST3 ? got it removed ? i can only see and find Sample Import .

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 pm
jacqueslacouth wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:38 pm Have they got that list out yet of the comparison of instruments in each version?
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st4/#soundlist
Ok i checked the list and it is very dissapointing the least. Sampletank 3 standart has more variety then standart 4.

Look if you sign up for standart edition you expect some sort of univeral rompler with all type of sounds and standart edition of v4 covers like only 30-50% of what Sampletank 3 had to offer. There is not a single String ensamble patch. I was expecting to see every area sounds just less of them and without those extra banks. But now standart is without some type of sounds at all.

I mean how you can fake even a simple orchestra sound when Standart version has only trombone and chromatic. Not even timpani drum :lol:

To sum up if you want Sampletank 3 like offerings you have to get ST4 Max

Come on IK you can do better :-)

I ordered the USB-version but expected the software to be downloadable from my account as well (for future updates etc). Did anyone else who order the USB-version get the download as well?

Quite a few people have asked about the overlap between ST3 and ST4, but I don´t see definitive answer to if there is an overlap, or if can safely keep my ST3 folder without wasting any hard drive space. Does anyone know?

Can someone else with Windows 10 fully updated confirm whether they've been able to run the plugin or standalone? I don't think I've ever seen a program misbehave quite like this. It corrupts desktop graphics, crashes Windows Explorer, makes the entire computer hang, breaks the graphics driver causing the screen resolution to revert, and even crashes the Windows error reporting service. If this is widespread, IK's devs should be ashamed.

EDIT: If you're having these issues and only have 8 GB of RAM, increase the size of your page file in Windows. It needs to be around 4 GB or more for Sampletank 4 to even run. Credit to someone over on the IK Forum for figuring this out. How did this slip past quality control?

mixtur.se wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:29 pm Quite a few people have asked about the overlap between ST3 and ST4, but I don´t see definitive answer to if there is an overlap, or if can safely keep my ST3 folder without wasting any hard drive space. Does anyone know?
It's still downloading so I don't know for sure, but the download for Max includes all the existing ST3 content (other than the full Miroslav) plus a bunch of new ST4 instruments supplied in separate installer. It looks as though there is no direct overlap. But you will wind up with a lot of pianos.

DrumAddict wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 pm did i miss something ? where are the ST2 legacy Instruments Import like in ST3 ? got it removed ? i can only see and find Sample Import .
You don't need to import SampleTank 3 samples, as you can simply point SampleTank 4 to your SampleTank 3 library (as ST4 support multiple library locations now) and if you'd like to use SampleTank 2.x sounds you'll have to import (or have had to already imported) them into SampleTank 3.

mixtur.se wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:28 pm I ordered the USB-version but expected the software to be downloadable from my account as well (for future updates etc). Did anyone else who order the USB-version get the download as well?
USB versions do not include a pre-download. You can download sounds after you receive and register
the USB version if you need to (and there will eventually be updates etc of course, too).

No strings?? They can't be serious. I expected and upgrade and not a downgrade...
I think we all thought that we would at least get the same types of instruments in the standard version as before.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm
DrumAddict wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:24 pm did i miss something ? where are the ST2 legacy Instruments Import like in ST3 ? got it removed ? i can only see and find Sample Import .
You don't need to import SampleTank 3 samples, as you can simply point SampleTank 4 to your SampleTank 3 library (as ST4 support multiple library locations now) and if you'd like to use SampleTank 2.x sounds you'll have to import (or have had to already imported) them into SampleTank 3.
thanks for the clarification . tbh very dissapointing , in this case ST4 are an downgrade if you like some of the older ST2 Librarys for direct import older Instruments . new user which does not own a previous version can not use or import older ST2 Librarys .

another Question : Why the Folder View within the Instrument Browser gots removed also ? Why there are not even an drop down menu that user cold edit the browser tagging mode to your own like ?

very dissapointing too .

DrumAddict wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm
thanks for the clarification . tbh very dissapointing , in this case ST4 are an downgrade if you like some of the older ST2 Librarys for direct import older Instruments . new user which does not own a previous version can not use or import older ST2 Librarys .

another Question : Why the Folder View within the Instrument Browser gots removed also ? Why there are not even an drop down menu that user cold edit the browser tagging mode to your own like ?

very dissapointing too .
SampleTank 3 Custom Shop (which is free) can import SampleTank 2.x sounds if someone has skipped a version.

I will relay your thoughts on the browser/views too. Thank you.

I took a screen shot of the sounds available to download for ST4 MAX and crossed out the sounds available to download for ST3 MAX. If a sound isn't listed, then it is unique to ST4 MAX.

https://imgur.com/a/l3gOtjs

jcgam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 am I took a screen shot of the sounds available to download for ST4 MAX and crossed out the sounds available to download for ST3 MAX. If a sound isn't listed, then it is unique to ST4 MAX.

Thanks! Surprising that IK doesn't have a tech note, that details this type of info.

emasters wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 am
jcgam wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:11 am I took a screen shot of the sounds available to download for ST4 MAX and crossed out the sounds available to download for ST3 MAX. If a sound isn't listed, then it is unique to ST4 MAX.

Thanks! Surprising that IK doesn't have a tech note, that details this type of info.
What we really need is a function to tell us what we are missing. For example if we miss one of the 16 piano installs we won't know until we hit a piano sample that doesn't work, and then good luck trying to find out which one is missing.

Things to know:
- You may have to authorize the software twice - I did;
- 40 of the 101 packs (if I counted correctly) are double ups from ST3. If you have ST3 MAX istalled you'll already have 40% of the content. Maybe a blessing in disguise, or sleight of hand by IKMM marketing. You decide.
- Prepare to redownload many packages. I have had at least 5 corrupted downloads so far.
- Then you'll have to manage the multiple package installations. It's a LOT of packages. Be sure to have your concentration hat on.
- The way the ST4 content patch lists are set up there are multiples of patches (usually 3 - and I can't hear any difference in the 3 yet). So why have multiples? I'm sure I'm missing something here...
-I think the easiest install method is to use the default install location then move and repoint the entire folder where you want it to be then rebuild the library in settings.

Multiple library locations is cool. Bringing in ST3 was almost a breeze so thanks for mentioning the 'multiple library pointer'. Probably need to RTFM. I thought I'd have to consolidate the ST3 and ST4 libraries and was preparing for a long haul of trial and error. It really took me a long time to sort out the ST3/ST2/MP2/Syntronik consolidated library way back when. Now that they're consolidated they seem to just work in the ST4's UI.

I'm predicting close to 12 hours to finish install/setup. I slept while the sound files were downloading to save some time.

EDIT: On MacOS when your sound installation .app fails and declares a "no sound content" message use this helpful tip from IK MM forum:

"Re: 'Installation Aborted Cannot find any Sound Content to C
Postby djike » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:50 pm

MacOS: Right click on the installer, Show package contents, Click Contents, MacOS, Then click the sample tank installer. Terminal will open, then you should be able to use the installer. Sampletank will rebuild your database, and I think all should be okay after that."
Last edited by Vaultnaemsae on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”