Digital Performer 10 is now Ableton Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Digital Performer Live

Resonant- Serpent wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:16 pm Does DP still ship with a 64 and 32 bit version?
My Windows install included 32-bit and 64-bit versions of DP10.

Many thanks for your answer.
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 am I don't see anything new that allows MIDI file preview at project tempo. I'm trying to think of a DAW that does that?
Studio One, Cubase or Reaper for example while Bitwig and Live do preview in tempo with a generic synth sound at least (in Live you also can change the preview sound with a simple hack).
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 am Audio file wise, yes in a way. MOTU teamed up at pretty much exactly the right time with Loopmasters, they include a couple gigs of loops yada yada who cares, but the real interesting part of that is their stand alone application with a VST plug in that gets tempo info etc. Loopmasters stand out for allowing you to add your own loops to the application, and not having a subscription service. The app analyzed 41,000 loops and one shots on my drive in about an hour, mostly did a good job tagging them. Super useful to me anyway.
Does this mean DP10 can't preview audio files in sync with the project tempo on its own?

I do know the 3rd party browsers like ADSR, Samplism, Sononym, Soundly, AudioFinder or Resonic. Loopcloud is one of the more cumbersome ones in my opinion as it doesn't take into account the name of the file path / folders - that's why I can't find a kick drum sample sitting in: /samples/sample magic/rock grooves/one shots/kickdrum/bd0001.wav (for example) if I simply search for "kickdrum". Also Loopcloud can't preview MIDI files at the moment. And the instrument slot connection bridge thing - can't relate to that. Maybe they will make it more slick in the future.

steve.lindqvist wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 am Many thanks for your answer.
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 am I don't see anything new that allows MIDI file preview at project tempo. I'm trying to think of a DAW that does that?
Studio One, Cubase or Reaper for example while Bitwig and Live do preview in tempo with a generic synth sound at least (in Live you also can change the preview sound with a simple hack).
machinesworking wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 am Audio file wise, yes in a way. MOTU teamed up at pretty much exactly the right time with Loopmasters, they include a couple gigs of loops yada yada who cares, but the real interesting part of that is their stand alone application with a VST plug in that gets tempo info etc. Loopmasters stand out for allowing you to add your own loops to the application, and not having a subscription service. The app analyzed 41,000 loops and one shots on my drive in about an hour, mostly did a good job tagging them. Super useful to me anyway.
Does this mean DP10 can't preview audio files in sync with the project tempo on its own?

I do know the 3rd party browsers like ADSR, Samplism, Sononym, Soundly, AudioFinder or Resonic. Loopcloud is one of the more cumbersome ones in my opinion as it doesn't take into account the name of the file path / folders - that's why I can't find a kick drum sample sitting in: /samples/sample magic/rock grooves/one shots/kickdrum/bd0001.wav (for example) if I simply search for "kickdrum". Also Loopcloud can't preview MIDI files at the moment. And the instrument slot connection bridge thing - can't relate to that. Maybe they will make it more slick in the future.
Audiofinder doesn't preview at the DAW tempo as far as I know? Yeah, I own Live and Reaper as far as tempo syncing DAWs that could do MIDI files. Honestly I don't see the point unless you can use the instrument that you want to to preview the MIDI file.

I dunno, I thought Loopmasters importing 41k audio one shots and loops into it's bowser in less than an hour was pretty useful and don't really mind the whole browser that has to be open to use the VST.

For my use I have at least 20 improvements I would want to see before MIDI file preview native to DP10. Audio file export options, MPE, full screen plug in evaluation preference window, expanded Clips capabilities in line with Live and Bitwig, click drag velocity edit on MIDI notes, MIDI expression maps etc.

I do feel like they're on the right path though, and they are expanding on Clips capabilities within the v10 update cycle according to tech support last weak so you might get what you want in the future. :phones:

When is DP10 out
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:25 am When is DP10 out
it started shipping almost 2 weeks ago.

http://motu.com/newsitems/digital-perfo ... w-shipping

dayjob wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:06 am
v1o wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:25 am When is DP10 out
it started shipping almost 2 weeks ago.

http://motu.com/newsitems/digital-perfo ... w-shipping
Do they have a demo? I will need to see how well it runs on Windows.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

DP10 demo is available on MOTU's website:
http://motu.com/download
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

^^^ Everyone should be aware that it is a .0 release. In 20 years of DAW use with at least six different DAWs used I can count the amount of times a .0 release had no bugs with half a hand. :hihi:

machinesworking wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:13 pm ^^^ Everyone should be aware that it is a .0 release. In 20 years of DAW use with at least six different DAWs used I can count the amount of times a .0 release had no bugs with half a hand. :hihi:
This .0 release is pretty darn stable. :tu:
http://admiralbumblebee.com/
Audio Software Reviews, Woodworking, Programming and more...

Robert Randolph wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:33 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:13 pm ^^^ Everyone should be aware that it is a .0 release. In 20 years of DAW use with at least six different DAWs used I can count the amount of times a .0 release had no bugs with half a hand. :hihi:
This .0 release is pretty darn stable. :tu:
For a .0 release it's not bad at all. I'm getting some minor issues, but nothing too horrible. I'm really liking the new features, it's messing with my trend towards Reaper. :hihi:

I cannot say enough good things about the Search Commands feature, that's beyond brilliant.

6 years ago I bought DP8 and it literally did not work on Windows at all. Box is still sitting here brand new. Has anybody gotten it to work flawlessly on Windows?
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:22 am 6 years ago I bought DP8 and it literally did not work on Windows at all. Box is still sitting here brand new. Has anybody gotten it to work flawlessly on Windows?
Windows peeps seem as stable as OSX so far, but don't expect flawless out of a .0 release. IMO if you're not a long time user of any DAW really, wait until the first update at least before diving in. I would bet the last version of DP8 is usable for instance...

machinesworking wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 am
Orbit-50 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:22 am 6 years ago I bought DP8 and it literally did not work on Windows at all. Box is still sitting here brand new. Has anybody gotten it to work flawlessly on Windows?
Windows peeps seem as stable as OSX so far, but don't expect flawless out of a .0 release. IMO if you're not a long time user of any DAW really, wait until the first update at least before diving in. I would bet the last version of DP8 is usable for instance...
Thanks man. The performance was so bad, that I had become totally spooked out, and I never tried another version after that and just chocked it up as a loss. Maybe I'll give the demo a shot now, and upgrade if all works out.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Orbit-50 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm Thanks man. The performance was so bad, that I had become totally spooked out, and I never tried another version after that and just chocked it up as a loss. Maybe I'll give the demo a shot now, and upgrade if all works out.
You might want to try the last version of DP8 for fun as well, it's possible the bugs were squashed, it had at least four updates that I recall?

I don't remember if PreGen was introduced in 8 or 9? I think it was 9? Before that DP at least on OSX performance wise was between Live and Logic in terms of track counts, after it's doing slightly better than Logic, slightly worse than Reaper. Reaper only gets maybe 5% here on OSX against DP9 anyway.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm
Orbit-50 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:39 pm Thanks man. The performance was so bad, that I had become totally spooked out, and I never tried another version after that and just chocked it up as a loss. Maybe I'll give the demo a shot now, and upgrade if all works out.
You might want to try the last version of DP8 for fun as well, it's possible the bugs were squashed, it had at least four updates that I recall?
DP8 is very old. Even DP9 came out already in 2015 already. It was much more stable in Windows than DP8, especially the latest iterations (9.5x).

It would be pointless to try DP8 now. Try DP10. The demo will be fully working for a couple of weeks (if I'm not mistaken, you'll have like 30 days).
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”