Buss Compressor Alternative To Brainworx Townhouse

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like I said, with compressors, it doesn't matter. You should see some of the compressors that came with Cubase. I can still use them. With so few controls, I don't even have to be able to read them. And if I absolutely have to, I can use the generic editor that Cubase let's you switch to.

Bottom Line: The sound is exactly what I'm looking for and with a plugin with so few controls, I can deal with the GUI's shortcomings. If it was a synth, sure. No way. But for compressors, not a problem. I've worked with some pretty bad ones.

wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:02 pm Like I said, with compressors, it doesn't matter. You should see some of the compressors that came with Cubase. I can still use them. With so few controls, I don't even have to be able to read them. And if I absolutely have to, I can use the generic editor that Cubase let's you switch to.

Bottom Line: The sound is exactly what I'm looking for and with a plugin with so few controls, I can deal with the GUI's shortcomings. If it was a synth, sure. No way. But for compressors, not a problem. I've worked with some pretty bad ones.
You've always got the generic editor in a Cubase too I guess.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:16 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:02 pm Like I said, with compressors, it doesn't matter. You should see some of the compressors that came with Cubase. I can still use them. With so few controls, I don't even have to be able to read them. And if I absolutely have to, I can use the generic editor that Cubase let's you switch to.

Yep, and as boring as hell as it is to work with, it gets the job done.

My need to get this sound just right outweighs any problems with a GUI. And so far, no compressor I've tried gives me what Townhouse will. So I'll deal with it.

I know that feeling when you find a compressor that gives you the exact sound you're looking for and you then go through you 100 other compressors playing with settings trying to replicate the sound so you don't have to buy another compressor only to find that nothing sounds like it.
In my case it actually happened when I demoed Soundspots Firefly compressor, for whatever the combination of the extra punch buttom, with the analog button, gave me a heavy, warm, hard hitting sound that I just couldn't emulate with none of my other compressors/transient shapers combined so I just bought it. Everybody's different and is searching for a different sound in they're head tho.
wagtunes wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:19 pm

My need to get this sound just right outweighs any problems with a GUI. And so far, no compressor I've tried gives me what Townhouse will. So I'll deal with it.

Exactly what is it that Townhouse is doing for you, wag? What do you hear it do that other don't? :phones:

plexuss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:56 pm

Exactly what is it that Townhouse is doing for you, wag? What do you hear it do that other don't? :phones:
A roominess and trashiness without losing the transients. The others simply don't give me that sound. As soon as I heard it on Warren Huart's video I knew right away what was missing from my hard rock tracks.

Now granted, the guy is a professional who does this for a living and has worked with some really big names, but he got the sound he did without doing any fancy tweaking. He just cranked it up and let it rip. It was amazing.

My first rock track with it, you'll hear the difference.

Hi Wagtunes

Just giving some advice - sorry it sounded disagreeable to you!

OMG, those tiny knobs. Does it at least have a "pop up" giving the values? My eyes are not that bad but that is insane. No wonder the OP is put off!

Aren't they aware of this? Seems it should be easy to fix.

wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm I'm not spending $300 on a buss compressor but I do love what that thing does. Big sound without demolishing the transients all while annihilating everything else if you abuse the crap out of it. Great for big rock band sound.

I have Brainworkx E or G, that I got second hand. Not sure which one. All I know is it doesn't quite get me to where the townhouse seems to go.

So what are the alternatives (if any) that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Keep your eye out and get on their mail list. They often do sales and you never know your luck.

As for an alternative, well a regular SSL buss compressor should get you close, but you’lol want to add some low mid harmonics to that. If you have the right kind of saturation plugin you could probably get close. But you’ll need to hear it side by side with original so you can fine tune those harmonics.

Unfortunately it’s a one of a kind plugin and I think this is the only way you’re going to b able to get close to it.

simon.a.billington wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:56 pm
wagtunes wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm I'm not spending $300 on a buss compressor but I do love what that thing does. Big sound without demolishing the transients all while annihilating everything else if you abuse the crap out of it. Great for big rock band sound.

I have Brainworkx E or G, that I got second hand. Not sure which one. All I know is it doesn't quite get me to where the townhouse seems to go.

So what are the alternatives (if any) that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Keep your eye out and get on their mail list. They often do sales and you never know your luck.

As for an alternative, well a regular SSL buss compressor should get you close, but you’lol want to add some low mid harmonics to that. If you have the right kind of saturation plugin you could probably get close. But you’ll need to hear it side by side with original so you can fine tune those harmonics.

Unfortunately it’s a one of a kind plugin and I think this is the only way you’re going to b able to get close to it.
Thanks. I got it 2nd hand from the Marketplace for a good price. All is well.

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:18 pm Currently on sale for $49...

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... er+for+all!
$29 again if you use the voucher. And I doubt there will be another $29 flash sale on it this year (where monthly vouchers can be used), so this is probably the best price it will be for the rest of the year....

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:18 am

$29 again if you use the voucher. And I doubt there will be another $29 flash sale on it this year (where monthly vouchers can be used), so this is probably the best price it will be for the rest of the year....
I think its a pretty safe bet to assume its gonna go on a similar sale several more times this year ;) at least a summer sale, black friday, christmas and then a new year madness.....

mrj1nx wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:18 am

I think its a pretty safe bet to assume its gonna go on a similar sale several more times this year ;) at least a summer sale, black friday, christmas and then a new year madness.....
This would be my suspicion, especially around Black Friday. It’s just never guaranteed.

What's wrong with you guys, giving up on one of the BEST ITB bus comps because the GUI is a little small? Seriously, a handful of knobs.

I'm on 3440x1440 Ultrawide and I can see it more than fine (and don't even wear glasses). That said, even better, I have an AVID ICON D-Command 24 fader mixing desk which controls all PA eq/compressor plugs in beautifully so I just use physical knobs that are already pre-mapped (and includes gain/gain reduction LEDS in hardware), stunning to use but even better with the great sound of PA under the hood. I use the ICON with BX_Console N/E, Townhouse, VCS-2 (A great but slightly different alternative) and many other PA plugs and I don't even need the GUI on screen.

For those with just mouses and screens, yeah It sucks but the sound is worth it, it's hardly impossible to see - you're just beeing fussy. I love the look of the GUI myself when I do occasionally see it pop up during mixing.

Return to “Effects”