DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Thanks, this is working much better. At least it is playable now. Thanks!

I want to send a Midi program change (eventually with Bank Select) with the encoder of my Dj2Go. Is that possible with Flexi? I could not find a function for that...

Is it possible to simultaneously address more than 8 device remote controls in GenericFlexi (or anywhere else)? (My controller has 16+ knobs.)

Dear moss,

I am using your GenericFlexi script for my controller with great success (first of all, thanks for your great work, I am really impressed, especially after looking at the code!)

The controller (actually, a Bass Station 2 with local off) has more than 8 knobs which all send MIDI CC, so it would be nice to be able to control more than the first 8 device remote controls (or actually, other remote controls than those on the currently selected remote controls page in the UI). Would it be possible to extend GenericFlexi to control, e.g., the remote controls on the second remote control page of a device as well, say as "Device Parameter 9" and so on?

I have actually tried to dig into your code, looking at

Code: Select all

/src/main/java/de/mossgrabers/controller/generic/controller/FlexiCommand.java
and at

Code: Select all

/src/main/java/de/mossgrabers/controller/generic/controller/GenericFlexiControlSurface.java
where in principle it seems it would be simple to add Device Parameter 9 and so on, but even though the code is really well organized, I then got lost trying to find out whether in the Bitwig API, it would actually even be possible in principle to address anything else than the remote controls page currently selected in the UI. Perhaps one can access a chosen remote controls page by name? By ordering?

Any hints would be appreciated whether this is possible and whether you might be thinking of adding Knobs 9-16 to GenericFlexi in the future.

Thanks a lot and all the best!

Working great now thanks!

DrivenByMoss 5.7 is online!
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

Launchpad
  • New: The Bootloader and Firmware version is now logged to the console
  • New: Pro: The user button acts now like the Shift button
MCU
  • New: Option + one of the Mute buttons: Deactivate all mutes
  • New: Option + one of the Solo buttons: Deactivate all solos
Push 1/2
  • New: Select + Mute: Deactivate all mutes
  • New: Select + Solo: Deactivate all solos
Regarding the Launchpad Pro issue of some users:
I still cannot reproduce the problem. I tested both with Firmware 1.1 and 1.2. The detailed version numbers are now logged to the console, please check them. Furthermore, the USER button behaves now like the Shift button, please check if that makes a difference.

5.8 is online, which fixes the mysterious Launchpad bug!

* Launchpad: Fixed: Switching of Note and Sequencer did not work (only if also Push 1/2 was running)

moss wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:30 pm 5.8 is online, which fixes the mysterious Launchpad bug!

* Launchpad: Fixed: Switching of Note and Sequencer did not work (only if also Push 1/2 was running)
Excellent!! Note mode functioning great now!

Thanks again Moss!
I've made a slightly modded version for anyone who is interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfneno9k9urta ... nsion?dl=0
The latest changes from moss are merged into it.

What's different:
Pressing first row button on a selected track arms the track (instead of going into device mode)
Shift pressing any first row button arms ONLY that track (un-arms the rest)
Shift pressing any second row button solos or mutes ONLY that track (un-solo / un-mutes that track).
Tested on Push 1 as I don't have a push 2. The mute/solo behaviour is different on 2 so that last feature is not available on push2

Moss iff you're not ok with posting modded versions here let me know. My changes are also open source of course in the Steeboo/drivenbymoss fork.

Thanks moss and SB-SIX! Your work is highly appreciated.

@SB-SIX check your inbox.

Moss, sorry to bother you with this, but I wanted to ask:

Is the screen of the Push 2 "fed" by QML?

The reason I am asking this, is it has occurred to me that QML is what Native Instruments uses to drive their screens, which means it recreates frames from the GUI of the application, on their device screens.

If this is the case, I believe a Maschine MK3 would be a better controller for Bitwig, than the Push 2, providing better screen information, and most likely able to provide a more direct interface to Bitwig (I would say Logic Pro X as well, however that's a closed ecosystem, so I am only focusing on Bitwig right now)

If this is the case, I have some ideas in how to remove the Maschine MK3 hardware completely from dependency on the Maschine application (which I detest), and able to be a completely multi function controller for bitwig, rivaling the Push.

It could most likely do everything, except the chord function (as bitwig has still not created a chord device), with the Maschine Jam as a supplementary interface, also completely removed from the Maschine application.

Any and all information and guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Moss

New to Bitwig and just getting going with your extension, thank you for making it. I'm using a Beatstep and it's mostly working except I don't have 'Track' and 'Device' modes. Shift-Pad 1(Gsharp) gives me 'Play', then the other modes follow, but no 'Track' and 'Device'. Have I missed something obvious?

I'm on DrivenByMoss 5.8, Bitwig 2.5 (though same issue on my laptop running 2.4), OSX 10.12.6

Thank you for any help you can give

@Moss, re not being able to show which scenes on the Launchpad are playing due to BW not having the concept of an 'active scene', wouldn't active clips themselves be 'active' (they display a play head in the scene launcher in BW when playing), so wouldn't you be able to identify playing clips that way? Or is there more to it than that?

Civa wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pm Is the screen of the Push 2 "fed" by QML?
No. QML is used by Ableton to render the display graphics. The transmission is only pixels.
You can find the full specification on GitHub: https://github.com/Ableton/push-interface
Civa wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:29 pmIf this is the case, I believe a Maschine MK3 would be a better controller for Bitwig, than the Push 2, providing better screen information, and most likely able to provide a more direct interface to Bitwig.
Yes, that would be nice but in contrast to Ableton, Native Instruments is not pusblishing their specification.

Troub99 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:12 pm I'm using a Beatstep and it's mostly working except I don't have 'Track' and 'Device' modes. Shift-Pad 1(Gsharp) gives me 'Play', then the other modes follow, but no 'Track' and 'Device'.
Thanks for reporting! Will be fixed in the next update.

kmatm wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am @Moss, re not being able to show which scenes on the Launchpad are playing due to BW not having the concept of an 'active scene', wouldn't active clips themselves be 'active' (they display a play head in the scene launcher in BW when playing), so wouldn't you be able to identify playing clips that way? Or is there more to it than that?
Yes, I thought about that, too, if it would make any sense. The problem is that the user can start any clip (not only from the "playing scene". OK, then I could still deactivate the playing state but also I would need to monitor all clips in the session. Should still be possible but I decided to wait if Bitwig comes up with a solution for that.

Return to “Controller Scripting”