Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

This might be a good time to remind people that if you buy Hive now, you'll get a free upgrade to Hive 2. #JustSayin

vurt wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:15 pm anyone else think balls in orbit sounds fun?
No that sounds painful vurt.

Are FUNC1 and FUNC2 different? I see FUNC1 has a 'Rising' and 'Moving' switch, while FUNC2 has 'Falling' and 'Still'.
The new section looks suspiciously similar to the Rossum Control Forge.
Urs you should show this to Dave at Superbooth, he'll be just down the corridor: u-he vs Rossum :D
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:03 pmAre FUNC1 and FUNC2 different? I see FUNC1 has a 'Rising' and 'Moving' switch, while FUNC2 has 'Falling' and 'Still'.
Those are not switches. Those are additional modulation signals. "Rising" goes high while Func1 goes up. So if you use Func1 as an LFO, you get your triangle/sawtooth shaped output from the A and D stages plus a free squarewave output as well. Latter is variable in pulsewidth by the ratio between A and D.

Now, Falling does the same in Func2, but during D stage. Moving and Still do something similar, they go high while the Funcs move or stand still respectively.

What you do with it... lots of things. You can get a square wave which runs at an even fraction of an LFO (aka Clock Divider). You can trigger one Func as an envelope from another when, say, Glide is over or when some ADSR envelope reached sustain/zero. You can delay a modulation and fade it in. You can observe if the ModWheel is turned and start an envelope.

One of my favourite applications is to trigger a function generator envelope from a stepped random LFO. This way you get a random rhythm that is quantized to LFO rate. It's pretty OMG with pads and stuff.

Urs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pmThose are not switches.
Well they look like slider switches. If it looks like a switch I'm gonna try and switch it. :hihi: Why are they all switched to the right? And why is the 'Moving' one lit blue? Does it blink with the signal? If each Func has multiple signals how do you select which signal when you are assigning a Func? Also, in the shape sequencer why are some coloured blocks full-colour and others half-colour? Hehe I'm sure it will become clear with 5 minutes of use...or maybe 10 minutes...or... :phew: 8)
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:13 pm
Urs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pmThose are not switches.
Well they look like slider switches. If it looks like a switch I'm gonna try and switch it. :hihi: Why are they all switched to the right? And why is the 'Moving' one lit blue? Does it blink with the signal? If each Func has multiple signals how do you select which signal when you are assigning a Func? Also, in the shape sequencer why are some coloured blocks full-colour and others half-colour? Hehe I'm sure it will become clear with 5 minutes of use...or maybe 10 minutes...or... :phew: 8)
It'll be immediately clear.

"why is the 'Moving' one lit blue?" - because it's an LED showing its state. The oval aerea around it will probably expand over the labels and become a fully mouse-over sensitive drag area for a modulation target.

"why are some coloured blocks full-colour and others half-colour?" - full colour = the segment that is currently played back in the sequence. Half colour = a segment which is selected for the sequence, but not currently being played.

Shape Sequence A is represented in the top row (blue). It plays an envelope made out of shapes 1, 2 and 4. Currently it's doing shape 2.

Shape Sequence B has the two segments in the greenish row selected. So it does segments 3 and 4. Currently it's at segment 3.

C (pink/red) does 2,3 5 and 6. Currently at 5.

D (brownish) does 3,4, 6,7,8. Currently doing 7.

:)

Urs wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm One of my favourite applications is to trigger a function generator envelope from a stepped random LFO. This way you get a random rhythm that is quantized to LFO rate. It's pretty OMG with pads and stuff.
Shut up and take my money!!!!
MAN FROM SPACE
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/135uz9UwHtdXZgiFyAc3oz
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/manfromspace

GumRoad (FREE Ableton racks and synth presets): https://gumroad.com/manfromspace

Excited times again :D
Hive is already rised a lot of levels, where it will goes.. counting back to the launch of the rocket :tu:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:15 pm This might be a good time to remind people that if you buy Hive now, you'll get a free upgrade to Hive 2. #JustSayin
will this save me money?
im thinking, from a big release pov by the dev. a ramp in sales post update is preferable to giving out free updates?
sales figures matter! i think? :hihi:

what say you urs? which is preferable for you?

I actually thought someone had posted an image of a reason rack extension lol :D.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I like how little space it takes in relation to how much capability it has...

And it looks lovely! Are there improvements under the hood Urs? Engine quality, filters, oscillators, effects and such?

looks like hive is approaching spaceship territory, but not yet in the realm of rockets, okay by me
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

The lighter grey background looks much better for the eyes - I would go even further. Some of NI's new stuff like Massive X has a nice, light background which is great for contrast and legibility.

The new west coast stuff sounds very cool indeed. And re. balls in orbit, there are subtle, low-contrast ways of doing that which won't make Hive look like a christmas tree. Regardless, looking forward to Hive 2. I imagine it will get used even more than it is now (which is a LOT 8) ).

Yorrrrrr wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 am Engine quality, filters, oscillators, effects and such?
No changes there.

In my view this new Func Mods are completely overcomplicated for Hive's concept and are a total flop. It's of course a callange for a developer to program something new, but not always is something news better than what already exists. 2 or 4 simple MSEGs would have been much better in every aspect, especially to Hive`s concept of "easy to use".

Even in Zebra 3 I would not use it because it takes to long time to fidel out any usefull things.

Beside this the GUI of this Hive 2 looks like the cockpit of a military jet or U-Boot, at least in my view.
Sorry, but I will stay with Hive 1.2, because of wavetables, the nice GUI, easy to usage and good sound.

Return to “Instruments”