UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Can anyone educate me of Alchemy 2 vs Falcon?

Hard to compare them. But I'd rather say they are complementary. Modularity on Falcon's side vs spectral synthesis available only on Alchemy. Any number of sound sources in Falcon vs bigger selection of LFO shapes and speed up to 220 Hz (vs max 20 Hz in Falcon) in Alchemy. Easier handling of wavetables in Falcon (I'm not sure Alchemy even supports wavetable scanning or only wave shapes).

I suppose you have Logic Alchemy and wonder if Falcon can add more so in my opinion yes, it definitely does.

Well I kinda overbought. My synths are Alchemy, Avenger, Falcon and Zebra2/ZebraHz.

Iam wondering which synth to learn to master first after Avenger (i decided it’s my first choice).

I don't think you overbought. Zebra2 can do things other ones can't. Avenger can do some cool things but I often tend to remove it from big projects as it is a very big resource eater (ram & CPU). Alchemy can mangle fast EXS packs and Falcon can be anything from a single-sample player to the most animated pads ever.
NeoKortex88 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:24 pm I am wondering which synth to learn to master first after Avenger (i decided it’s my first choice).
Well, I can't speak for others but in my opinion whatever you learn will translate a lot to other synths too. Avenger is definitely the simplest one of the pack with it's fixed architecture. The other ones open the doors to experimentation.

I would strongly suggest to study the factory presets in Avenger to get a grip on Manuel's philosophy on making presets (a very straight-forward way, mostly layering). Then check the ZebraHz presets which are mainly made by Howard Scarr and you'll discover a completely different approach - a very smart way of doing presets with limited resources. Then go to Falcon, study the presets and also see how you can combine both of these approaches. Cheers! :tu:

Support.png
I have opened and worked with and performed and improvised and experimented with UVI Falcon thousands of times for years.

Thank You.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't think you overbought :) they are all good but different synths. With that said I would concentrate on Falcon as once you get your head around that you can do a large chunk of what the others can do and more. You can then mix it all up into something new. For some, Falcon has a steep learning curve, but it will be the most rewarding and anything else after it will be a walk in the park.

Definitely Falcon, it's more of a PITA to wrap your head around than Zebra, so learning Zebra afterwards won't be so bad. You don't want to get confused enough learning Zebra then dive into an even more confusing synth/sampler.

That's a nice brutal arrangement of modern synths you bought BTW, Avenger is the one I don't own of the bunch, but I've got too many synths to be tempted by it at this point!

Thanks guys. One question: if i load up presets and wanna check how they are done at the edit tab it often just get like Ircam Granular or Wavetable (2) or something and i cant open it. Why is that?

TrackGuyx wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:57 am Thanks guys. One question: if i load up presets and wanna check how they are done at the edit tab it often just get like Ircam Granular or Wavetable (2) or something and i cant open it. Why is that?
Open tree view on the left of the GUI, click on a keygroup you want to check, once you click on it, it will reveal itself in the interface.

Try the tree, you can isolate the key groups from that

I eventually want to get Falcon, as I have synth anthology and want to use it with falcon. I am a bit hesitant as I find frustrating UI's and learning curves unfavorable to synths that are better laid out like Serum or U-He synths. Can anyone elaborate on a question for me?

Lets say I have Synth Anthology, and I want to make a simple sequence. Does Falcon recognize the whole preset in Synth Anthology? Or does it only take the single Oscillator? I am not understanding how that works in Falcon if you have expansions like Synth Anthology

Falcon works exactly like UVI Workstation regarding loading patches. You get greater editability options tho.

Imagine it as UVI workstation with total edit abilities, including, but not limited to, sequence ingredients, effects, even the sample.

It’s the best sampler around, imho.
I hear people complain about the interface which I can understand their qualms but it’s more like a CAD program interface which I’m quite comfortable with. I look at the programs as 3D models rather than patches.

...there are areas that need improvement though. fe, the 20 hertz thing mentioned above and the ability to snap to zero... but hey, it’s v1

UVI really needs a forum here, 333 pages is a joke.

Edit: guy ^ beat me to it.

is it possible to access the samples used in the UVI libraries on my mac?
So that i can build my own sounds with it?

NeoKortex88 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:23 pm is it possible to access the samples used in the UVI libraries on my mac?
So that i can build my own sounds with it?
As they're stored in a protected container you would have to save each sample as an oscillator preset in order to use them in new patches.

Return to “Instruments”