Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Quick GPU update:

Last night I succeeded in getting Fathom's wave building C++ code implemented in CUDA GPU. It is running now in the Video Card GPU processor. My video card has 1024 threads, so the 16384 sample wave takes only 16 loops through the GPU to construct the waveform from the partial buffer. So the speed comparison is between 16384 loops verses 16 loops which is a speed multiply of 1024.

However, the latency is indeed an issue which will need to be resolved. As people warned me, the time it takes to transfer the data from the CPU to GPU makes it approximately the same time as running it on the CPU. Keep in mind though that I'm not doing any buffering yet, so I'm still optimistic that the latency issue can be resolved.

Also, my initial test only uses standard memory between the CPU and GPU. Today I will implement the page locked memory which is suppose to be much faster.

The code I did is the critical section of code which is used to calculate waveforms after you move any dial. I have not yet done the main processing code for detune voices. That will take much more effort, but if it can be done it will increase the run time polyphony in addition to just making the dials faster.

Hey, does anyone in the UK (or elsewhere) have the Computer Music issue 268 yet?

I read CM through Zinio and they have not posted the May issue yet. It does not look like it has hit the news stands yet here in the Philadelphia area USA. I'm dying to see the Fathom article. Could someone please scan the Fathom pages for me and email it to our support email?
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

How dare they not post the May issue yet - after all, its already mid-March...
:party: (funny hat is a hint towards sarcasm, for those who possible didn't realize)
Last edited by Harry_HH on Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think the asubscribers get the issue first, and after 2 weeks or so, it'll be available digitally. I also checked, because i'm interested in Fathom CM.

I think some people in the UK have gotten a hold of it already.

I think I will just subscribe to the hard cover version since there's no reason not to. If I do it now maybe it's early enough to get 268 in the mail.

Plus I can play though all the other CM synths in the DVD and see what features Fathom does not have yet. I've been dying to try Thorn, maybe now's the time.

FathomSynth wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:24 pm I think some people in the UK have gotten a hold of it already.

I think I will just subscribe to the hard cover version since there's no reason not to. If I do it now maybe it's early enough to get 268 in the mail.

Plus I can play though all the other CM synths in the DVD and see what features Fathom does not have yet. I've been dying to try Thorn, maybe now's the time.
Yup. UK here and my copy came in the week (paper copy subscriber).
Also, Thorn - mmmmmmm yet another superb synth for the price of a magazine. And don't forget you also get Dune CM :wink: :love:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:16 pm How dare they not post the May issue yet - after all, its already mid-March...
:party: (funny hat is a hint towards sarcasm, for those who possible didn't realize)
They‘ll issue the May magazine next week! :party:
Last edited by martinjuenke on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

82F8EF92-321C-448D-BE95-9BF20A9C9420.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cool, Thanks!

CM need to step up their game, the developer
of the featured instrument didn't get the very earliest
releases of the article in a pdf? :dog:
and the plugin download itself wasn't provided
in some dropbox? :roll:

They've got one too many interns at CM.
Or maybe a few too many bosses :hihi:
Phat is OK in Fathom, but not on a payroll :wink:
Cheers

Please be nice to CM, I'm really lucky they included us and spent their time doing the article.
It was just my own impatience to read it.
I'm going to subscribe to the hardcover anyway so I will get it soon.

I'm nice to them with my money :hug: and my occasional
how-2' posts to access their digital editions and vault/filesilo.
Hopefully the digital May issue will hit Zinio and
the other sales sites soon, it will be a collectible :hyper:

In the super happy column, V 2.27 keeps up the string
of Fathom releases that work in linux/wine/reaper
...thats skating on smoothe and solid ice in my book 8)
It says to me that you code without having
fully sold out to the whole windoze ecosystem.
Little wonder it's such an excellent instrument,
and as free from drama as any product
worth the electricity to light it up.

It's great fun to latch a busy arpeggio in my UNO synth,
and use it play the Fathom presets, and when a fun combo
is found, turn up the volume on the UNO and find/make
something to blend in, and then grab the guitar
that's in the UNO's Audio input, and have a fantasy
practice session with such wonderful sounds :party:
Cheers

Cool, I'm glad it's working well for you.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I really hope they didn't stamp their really really horrible cheap and tacky brand logo on the synth.... UHE's Bazille synth they included on their disks could be edited to remove that so that remains. Anything with their logo permanently brand on it however gets binned on my system, regardless of what it is. Visuals matter to me.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Fathom's CM logo is on the lower right front page and I think it looks great.
Same color theme as the rest of the interface.
And it is only visible on the global panel not for any of the other audio units.

:phones: Exciting GPU update.

I now have Fathom's wave building code running on my video card GPU.

This is Fathom's central wave processor which does the following:
1. Takes the raw user draw wave.
2. Performs the Fast Fourier Transform.
3. Creates an array of partials.
5. Sums all the sin waves into the final alias free wave.

Execution times are shown below for a 16384 sample wave buffer using 1024 partials.

0.02035 Seconds CPU
0.00292 Seconds GPU

The GPU time is about 15% of CPU time or 6 times faster !

This is with no buffering, just brute force sending the buffers to the GPU and waiting for the result !

The final design will be even faster with buffering and using the CUDA FFT.
My video card is three years old and has 1024 threads.
Newer video cards with 2048 threads or more will be at least 12 times faster.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:16 am I really hope they didn't stamp their really really horrible cheap and tacky brand logo on the synth.... UHE's Bazille synth they included on their disks could be edited to remove that so that remains. Anything with their logo permanently brand on it however gets binned on my system, regardless of what it is. Visuals matter to me.
Well since almost nothing is actually free, if you don't pay, it will probably need to be sponsored by someone. Adware, or payware, your choice. This is a good opportunity for potential customers to try for free!

If you don't want a sponsor's logo, buy the product!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”