any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:18 am
TS-12 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:27 am
Deep Purple wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 am The OP seemed like an attempt at baiting to me, or to give the benefit of the doubt, it intertwined dubious claims with questions.

I understand that people come here with questions, but I think sometimes those questions are rhetorical, as the entertainment is in lighting the bag of shit and ringing the doorbell before running off to watch from a distance...
Sorry I don’t understand your point. Please elaborate on it
Rather than just ask the question I think you were deliberately provocative.

Less ports? Less options to configure hardware? It's scary to think what Apple will do in the future? The last MacBook suitable for music production was mid 2015?

What is all that based on?
Some people think to parrot received 'common wisdom'. It's like the first time I mentioned I bought this thing, someone spit up something from some hack journo, things like 'The display is gorgeous, they say but it is not true 4k'. NONE of it meant a damned thing.

I don't personally equate being able to get inside a MacBook Pro to its viability as an audio production machine.
It's a non sequitur.

Evidently mine is, and that's it for me. It's expensive, but it was around half what I paid a decade ago for a machine, and this performs vastly better. The rest of it is, like I said, on the level of gossip, it might be good for small talk but that's really about it afaic.

Putting aside the discussion of the merits of being able to swap out the RAM (apparently you just cannot now), this equates to professional in music how? As far as I know, 'professional' means 'gets paid'. So here computer geek gets blended into a question of musicians tools. I've swapped out the RAM numerous times in the past, now I can't. It's not something I did for laughs. I've called their prices gouging inside this thread.

People complain about the new ports. Fine. But since I'm NOT paying for more than the 1TB because of the insane price (I don't expect necessarily to make money with the music I make) I want as fast a bus as there is in this world for external storage, and I would have to research what actually uses it.
OTOH, if I were in the industry, I shouldn't be worried about cost as I am.

In point of fact, this has 4 ports. One of them is for the power adaptor. Was there some MBP that had more than 3 USB?
I've owned 5 of them before this one, and as far as that goes, no. So there's just this confusion of terms. It has 3 of the new ports besides the power adaptor, but this is no longer for a professional. :?

Before users easily could upgrade SSD and ram, now it’s all soldered in to mobo.
There is no upgrade from 32GB DDR4 2400 for this machine.
There is nothing faster to upgrade to from the NVME SSD either.

So are we supposed to live in the future? If I took a job in audio, I would expect to make enough to keep up with changes as they come such as buying the next generation when it's out. So the whole of that argument to me is bullshit. It's people thinking negativity is the one critical, smart look. But it's just regurgitating some tropes that are out there, it's not critical thinking.

OTOH the "timed" daemon vis a vis this T2 chip is reality. That would suck.
It looks like the "timed" can be unloaded but it starts up any reboot.

jancivil wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:18 am OTOH the "timed" daemon vis a vis this T2 chip is reality. That would suck.
It looks like the "timed" can be unloaded but it starts up any reboot.
I haven’t looked into it but I suspect it can be prevented from running at startup by disabling SIP and renaming it, just as I reported above with the AppleSmartBatteryManager problem.

Disabling kexts is a dodgy business though because other processes and software may depend on them.

Yeah, I don't think I want to fug with that one, particularly.

Here is an interesting insight... just a survey, so make of it what you will.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... 18vClsyd7Y

toonertik wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:50 pm Here is an interesting insight... just a survey, so make of it what you will.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... 18vClsyd7Y
When even the least sensitive group is changing place, Apple should be worried. Except they don't care about computers (and music) anymore. All eggs are in the mobile basket now.
Fernando (FMR)

Macbook is a very nice laptop but lack of physical ports annoys me. Want more ports? Buy an official hub.
What a shame. But it is still a good laptop with a good body, good display. It is hard to find simething that good from other manufactorers.

The best way is to buy an Elitebook or similar and install mac OS on it (hackintosh).

I am using my HP Elitebook 840 G1 with Sierra and love it for music stuff. Way better than Windows regarding performance, stability and "space". Windows is eating up an SSD pretty quickly. Mac OS / Linux stays the same.

I think the lack of upgradeability in the latest hardware is due to the thermal managment. I suspect that if you were to upgrade your RAM to something faster in a macbook that it could cause a increase in the temperature. So maybe thats why you can’t go beyond the max preconfiguration?
:borg:

I prefer Mac OS GUI and apple computers over windows.

But currently built a windows PC
(i7-8700k, 32gb, 2TB m.2 nvme ssd + 3TB sata ssd) for now, for around $1500.

Will see what happens with apple in near future,
I got my Mac OS backed up by time machine,
so if apple gets their act together and I buy the new Mac than I'll restore the backup from timemachine and update to latest OS..
But for now (unfortunately) I will have to use Windows 10..
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

How bad is this T2 situation?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am How bad is this T2 situation?

/C
Overall it increases security for the end user, but also makes certain components (such as the Touch Bar) inaccessible for third-party repair. It makes MacBooks harder to hack, but harder to introduce third-party hardware to.

The crash issues seem to affect only a very small percentage of owners, but from what I gather, it's a random and not very frequent occurrence.
Sweet child in time...

Apparently the newly-announced iMacs don't have a T2 chip. Make of that what you will.
Image Image Image Image

I'm sure the T2 chip will be great and glorious when they figured out the kinks. But how bad is the situation for audio at the moment? Is it like everybody has problems?

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Certainly seems still unresolved for RME which is amazing considering their technical knowhow

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”