Sylenth1 in 2019

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sylenth1

I buy synths based on the value they add to me and my productions, not what value others might have. I favor a quick and easy workflow with a stable interface (means nice to read, not to be changed much in updates). Sylenth fits into this. Since uhe decided to rework hive (feature and interface wise) it doesn't fit anymore.

pdxindy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:11 pm
canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm My main synths include Serum and Diva, aswell as the ableton native synths. I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway. The things I like about it are the way it sounds, the cpu usage, and the filters. Anyone have any input to help talk me in or out of purchasing it?
If you like it get it... with Serum and Diva it is good to have a less CPU consuming synth on hand.
Yep. I actually think that that's the best argument for Sylenth1 these days.

At this point, Dune 3 is a better value. Dune was always going for the same type of sound as Sylenth, but I think version 3 surpassed it, and it has more features. I've always put sound ahead of features which is why I think Sylenth has been so successful. Dune surpasses in both areas now. They're very CPU efficient as well. The only no go for me with both of them is that they each changed their C/P to C/R. If they end up going back to serial or key file, I would probably at least end up getting Dune 3.
Last edited by djanthonyw on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You are currently reading my signature.

Agree with above .. dune 3 is much closer replacement sound wise than Hive.

I won't argue with the feature part, and that it's more bang for the buck, but, i don't think Dune was ever going for the Sylenth1 sound. In my opinion, it sounds quite different, and, Spire is much more in that ballpark, while also sounding pretty different to Sylenth1. Sylenth1 has a lot of punch, and can be very aggressive sounding. It also has great filter drive, which really makes the sound fat. Dune has a more soft vibe to it, which of course also can be very pleasant, if you're into that.

Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 pm Actually, I don't quite understand why Lennard seem to have rested upon its laurels all this time. Overconfidence too much? Or is a Sylenth2 in the works?
It still competes with new synths, it's still being updated and optimized, it's still bringing in money, the cottage industry of Sylenth1 presets is making money, there's no point in diluting the sound designers across two similar products, and what would Sylenth2 even be like? Would it prioritize low CPU consumption? Sylenth1 already does that. Add more complexity? The way it is is its very character.

If people can't see that then I question if they've demoed it. It's one of those synths that are more than the sum of its parts. I didn't believe or get it either until I tried it (and yeah, it's easy to judge a synth based on its number of X modules and Y modulators). The FX section is integral in some cases. Reverse engineer some of the more interesting patches, you'd be surprised.

As to OP, if you want to buy it, wait for a sale. There's usually one around the winter holidays. 30-40% off usually. Puts it around $99 sometimes, which is plenty reasonable.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pm
Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 pm Actually, I don't quite understand why Lennard seem to have rested upon its laurels all this time. Overconfidence too much? Or is a Sylenth2 in the works?
It still competes with new synths, it's still being updated and optimized, it's still bringing in money, the cottage industry of Sylenth1 presets is making money, there's no point in diluting the sound designers across two similar products, and what would Sylenth2 even be like? Would it prioritize low CPU consumption? Sylenth1 already does that. Add more complexity? The way it is is its very character.

If people can't see that then I question if they've demoed it. It's one of those synths that are more than the sum of its parts. I didn't believe or get it either until I tried it (and yeah, it's easy to judge a synth based on its number of X modules and Y modulators). The FX section is integral in some cases. Reverse engineer some of the more interesting patches, you'd be surprised.

As to OP, if you want to buy it, wait for a sale. There's usually one around the winter holidays. 30-40% off usually. Puts it around $99 sometimes, which is plenty reasonable.
To answer your question, yeah, I demo'd it just for the hell of it. I heard it, went "meh", uninstalled it, and never looked back.

It did nothing for me.

I like the sound of Sylenth, but honestly since I own Hive, Dune3 and Diva so I got those sounds basically covered. I did a demo once at a friends house who owns a copy and was impressed with how many you could use on a older computer.

If i was just starting out I would probably want to learn on it as it's a decent subtractive synth.
:borg:

canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway.
I'd recommend Sylenth1 to you it's a fantastic sounding synth and one of the very few (5) I still have and wouldn't part with.
Had it from the beginning, not many mod slots but you want it to produce right? Then buy it.

Goodluck

Rob

is a moog still a good instrument? is a korg MS? a sequential C? a yamaha CS series? it's not about features, it's a classic sound. he has one of the first classic softsynths. why would he change it? and if you like to play it why wouldn't you buy it? at this point he should explore making something else more complicated maybe, and maybe he is! who knows. if you like playing it, own it. if you like playing something else better then buy that instead. obviously everyone is still interested in it so he will keep selling it as is with little to few changes. it's a classic now.

sinemotor wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:25 pm I don't know man... I see u-he Hive 1.2 as the Sylenth1 of 2019. I consider Hive to be an updated and improved Sylenth1 that also includes wavetables import with a light cpu usage. Hive 2 is around the corner and if I'm not mistaken, you buy Hive now and you'll get the update for free.
There never will be another Sylenth. Too many good synths around today for that to happen. Plus (IMO) Hive sounds too good to be compared to something as lowly and old as Sylenth... :hihi:

Joking aside, I agree that Hive has become a very impressive synth! There is something beautiful sounding about the Uhm scripts. So clean, especially with modulation! Between the Uhm scripts and the new v2 modulators (which are so flexible and powerful!), Hive now has capabilities and sonic qualities unique to it.

I've had Hive since it was released, but it has become a must have from 1.2. Plus it is excellent for MPE and is easy on resources.

I don't understand why you're being so defensive. I never said Lennard should replace it for something completely new. It's so simple to look at what all the other competitors are doing: Releasing a new version, but keeping it backwards compatible (Dune, Hive, PolyKB).

Yeah, Sylenth may prove to be a classic, but I think it's too early to say that (considering "classic" is something that gets to hold on it's own for decades). And I personally wouldn't bet on it.

canaden wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:15 pm My main synths include Serum and Diva, aswell as the ableton native synths. I know serum can do everything Sylenth1 can do and more but I still cant stop myself from wanting to make the purchase anyway. The things I like about it are the way it sounds, the cpu usage, and the filters. Anyone have any input to help talk me in or out of purchasing it?
Lots and lots and lots of presets. CPU friendly. I personally thinks that it sounds great!

But if I was looking at it right now, and hadn't owned it for all the years that I have - I'd put it up against a few other synths before I bought it; especially the latest versions of Hive and Dune! Sylenth1 hit the sweet spot in terms of sound; but the two aforementioned synths eat it for lunch capability-wise - *far* more versatile.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:03 pm To answer your question, yeah, I demo'd it just for the hell of it. I heard it, went "meh", uninstalled it, and never looked back.

It did nothing for me.
Well, when I say demo, I mean make good patches with it, not just listening to presets. And it can be difficult to make a patch that isn't very similar to one of the thousands already made for it with a cursory glance. But when you figure out how to break out of the obvious, and it really helps to deconstruct existing patches, you've got arguably the largest individual synth market for presets.

You don't make EDM stuff, right? The Factory presets are all geared toward that so I can understand an aversion to it. Check out Joseph Hollo's Silenth Goldmine. Think you can make something on that level?

See that's why i like such soundsets. They show that such synths are well capable for any kind of genre, and not just the EDM genres they're usually connected with.

Return to “Instruments”