Maschine or Akai

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
SLiC
KVRAF
3415 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 am

The mpc is not realy a DJ Tool, it’s basically a pattern based midi sequencer and sampler. It samples, edits samples and plays back samples. It’s. An also record audio in a liniar way (so you can male a track using short chained patterns and then record a single vocal track over the top). It’s more of a DAW than. DJ tool in my opinion.
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

machinesworking
KVRAF
1584 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Re: Maschine or Akai

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:51 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:12 am
The mpc is not realy a DJ Tool, it’s basically a pattern based midi sequencer and sampler. It samples, edits samples and plays back samples. It’s. An also record audio in a liniar way (so you can male a track using short chained patterns and then record a single vocal track over the top). It’s more of a DAW than. DJ tool in my opinion.
I consider it a drum sampler and sequencer, with a few soft synths, and performance options thrown in for good measure. It's IMO going to be a good companion for Ableton Live in live situations.

Mostly I just like using it as a drum and other samples addition to a DAW, it works flawlessly for me as a hardware drum machine synced to DP10, Live, Reaper etc. and takes zero resources from the computer in sync mode. When it's time to finish the song you can even instantiate the VSTi and open up everything you did in stand alone in the DAW of your choice. No one seems to mention this, but a lot of full featured sequencers like MPC or Maschine suck up massive mounts of CPU as VSTi's and you can get around that pretty dammed easily with the MPC Live.

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 am

Yeh, I would agree with all of that. Its a hardware sampler/sequencer to me, I am in my 50's so I am used to working with hardware samplers connected to a record player and that's what I continue to do.
I realise others record in to their computer for this but I like to be out of the box sometimes and the MPC is also great for sequencing my hardware synths (along with my Octotrack). I have a project studio and often have 4-5 people in my space, they cant all be on the main studio DAW, instruments help!

You could make an argument for any item of hardware being replaced by software, but I am happy my studio is full of hardware and not just a laptop on a desk, but as I said before, its whatever makes you happy, music should be fun!!
i7 Win 10 + Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, X32 Desk. Rubicon R8s, DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

SLiC
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:25 am

telecode wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:44 pm
bmanic wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 am
If you only use basic sample triggering and processing and some basic non-CPU intensive synths then a few generations old i5 will be plenty enough to make huge complex songs.

This is exactly what the MPC is built on. It has a very slow crappy CPU inside it, running Linux as the operating system. Thus it allows you a limited amount of polyphony for sample triggering and only offers very basic synthesizers coded by AIR Music Technology.. which also offers some synths on the PC and Mac platforms, all of them really CPU friendly.

The problem is that as soon as you get a "real" computer you expect much more from it than a standalone box, which is also a computer but sort of hidden. It's a weird psychology.
still looking into it. what i don't get about the MPC LIve is, is this thing a DJ tool?

I see it comparted to a Toriaz.

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product ... /overview/
Why not just download it and try it- the hardware does the same as the software version other than hosting VSTs

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-software-2

telecode
KVRist
414 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:49 am

SLiC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:25 am
telecode wrote:
bmanic wrote:
If you only use basic sample triggering and processing and some basic non-CPU intensive synths then a few generations old i5 will be plenty enough to make huge complex songs.

This is exactly what the MPC is built on. It has a very slow crappy CPU inside it, running Linux as the operating system. Thus it allows you a limited amount of polyphony for sample triggering and only offers very basic synthesizers coded by AIR Music Technology.. which also offers some synths on the PC and Mac platforms, all of them really CPU friendly.

The problem is that as soon as you get a "real" computer you expect much more from it than a standalone box, which is also a computer but sort of hidden. It's a weird psychology.
still looking into it. what i don't get about the MPC LIve is, is this thing a DJ tool?

Why not just download it and try it- the hardware does the same as the software version other than hosting VSTs

thanks will try it. :tu:

My kid told me about the new Akai Force so I checked out the online stuff about it. The Force I am finding might be a bit of a toy item in that I can't see myself every moving to a product like that. But the MPC, maybe.

Goning off to checkout the discussions on the MPC forums as well.
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

telecode
KVRist
414 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:52 pm

SLiC wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:25 am
telecode wrote:
bmanic wrote:

i tried it. yup. it can do different time signatures and different bpm's per sequence in the same song. :tu:
Just a keep on a goin' a forward, without a single ounce of fear

Straight2Vinyl
KVRist
243 posts since 10 Mar, 2017

Post Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:19 am

The MPC is kind of a classic layout for the boombap generation. There's no getting around that. If you're sampling things live from vinyl and other sources, it's still probably one of the best ways to go about doing it, though in this day and age I would think you would still be sending whatever tracks you make out to a DAW of some sort.
Not sure if anyone suggested this, but Renoise is a pretty spectacular option if actually sampling and sample mangling is what you want to do. You can load wav files, or record a sample live into the software and from there basically every cool function of the software is designed to manipulate samples. You can render every performanc into another sample with lightening speed.
Trackers are an old school design, but Renoise has plenty of modern features and you can even Rewire it quite easily into other software. I always used Renoise, then after I hiatus from music switched to Reaper and now have begun using both and it's the best workflow I've ever had. Use Renoise for your beats and samples and Reaper, or some other traditional DAW for recording vocals and all your vst instruments.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Renoise + Reaper rules.

DrGonzo
KVRAF
2177 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from A Swede Living in Budapest

Post Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:32 am

I just wanted to add a bit of personal experience with the Akai Force.

I'm 2+ weeks in and it's probably the best purchase I've done in a long long time. The brain is like an MPC Live/X but way more streamlined and optimised for a quick workflow. Basically it's like working on Live but without a computer. Recording tracks and MIDI is as easy as with Live. Just arm and record. Recording automation is easy - arm automation for the track, go to the page where the parameter is and record your movements.

The new Air effects are really decent and usable. Sure, it's no Valhalla/Strymon/Eventide - but a big step up from the previous generation.

I thought the Force would be an MPC Live with a different set of pads, a quick variation of their MPC line. And while the OS for the Live and Force shares lots of things, the Force feels like something else than the MPCs.

The workflow is just brilliant.

:clap:

/C
Plughugger Sound Design
ELEKTRONIQ for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Roland S750/DJ70 - Ensoniq ASR10/EPSm

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”