Looking for a very basic, pleasant to use freeware synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kvotchin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:42 am
Kwurqx wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:31 amI guess we can all stop looking and suggesting then?

Somehow you can't be satisfied with the many great options that are currently avalailable (many of them FREE).
I have specific criteria, though they are hardly exotic or demanding. So far, there is not even one VST synth that meets them.

It's not a matter of being satisfied with "great options", etc. None of them meets those basic criteria. Simple as that.

By all means, go your own way, and if you are so compelled, feel condescending or dismissive as you leave.

But if anyone else wishes to look, or suggest something, that would be up to them, not you.

Have a nice day!.
As multiple people pointed out, it might be helpful to recompile your list of „specific criteria“ as well as thinking about to maybe change or stretch some of them... :roll:

Ever thought about getting a license of Reaktor and build your own dream synth? Honest question btw.

hlecram wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:42 pm Ever thought about getting a license of Reaktor and build your own dream synth? Honest question btw.
I did. The result is that it's rotting in my VST folder now, sort of. :D

kvotchin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 am I mean, if this can't be found for free, I'll pay a small amount, sure. But this is just for practice, nothing more.
I'll go with Synthmaster (One and 2.9).

exponent1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:33 pm
kvotchin wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:55 am I mean, if this can't be found for free, I'll pay a small amount, sure. But this is just for practice, nothing more.
I have a feeling that those both lack that tiny little feature, which is absolutely essential, so, the never ending quest for that perfect synth which has all that is listed in the OP, and in the dozens of posts in this thread by the OP, continues.

chk071 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm
exponent1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:33 pm
I have a feeling that those both lack that tiny little feature, which is absolutely essential, so, the never ending quest for that perfect synth which has all that is listed in the OP, and the dozens of posts in this thread by the OP continues.
Haha, which tiny feature would that be? He was looking for >=2 OSCs with all the basic wave shapes and 12/24 dB HP, LP filters which I think both of these synths have.

Either this does it, or I think the guy is simply trolling or looking for an exploratory and open-ended discussion :hihi: :shrug:
Last edited by exponent1 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The thing is, i wouldn't even know why you'd want such a precise feature set. I mean, either he really knows exactly how every single sound he ever wants to make is designed, or... dunno. I just don't get it.

For me, it's rather the other way around: I experiment with a synth, and see what's possible with its features. I wouldn't even know how to do it the other way around.

kvotchin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 am Oh, and btw, the reason I missed a few things before (inc. noise as dest, sorry!) is exactly that: I'm used to decent hardware, and expect at least the absolute basics to be here too... except, time and time again, they're not. Or, they are, but never all together in the one synth. Not so far...
BTW if you're so used to decent hardware, just buy Diva and call it a day. :dog: I don't know why you want all those "basic" features for "free". It's like an oxymoron. If a feature has not been implemented in free synths, it would have been due to some technical or practical reasons. Or you could go talk to the developers themselves.

As for paid options, a lot of people suggested paid synths that do all what you want and more. So either pay up, or don't have such high expectations. :hihi:

A lot of free tools almost meet your "basic" requirements, so that should be good enough for sound design (go check on One Synth Challenge thread to see how people have even used 1 oscillator synths to make music).

Do you have any examples of your sound design prowess BTW?

kvotchin wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:01 am
Is it really that hard to find a softsynth with "all these" extremely basic features?

Name one, please.
Then I guess we must have pity on all those poor folks making mediocre sounds with vintage hardware such as the OBX, having only two oscillator types, sawtooth or pulse. And no HPF. :lol:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/obx.php
Last edited by zzz00m on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57 pm
Is it really that hard to find a softsynth with "all these" extremely basic features?

Name one, please.
Then I guess we must have pity on all those poor folks making mediocre sounds with vintage hardware such as the OBX, having only two oscillator types, sawtooth or pulse. :lol:

You're beating around the wrong bush here mate :D I think we should just evacuate. Let the OP figure out his dream "free" synth.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:57 pm

Name one, please.
Then I guess we must have pity on all those poor folks making mediocre sounds with vintage hardware such as the OBX, having only two oscillator types, sawtooth or pulse. And no HPF. :lol:

*original MiniMoog Comes Out*

70s Synth People: "EXCUSE ME, ONLY ONE LFO AND NO WAVETABLE SUPPORT?"
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

exponent1 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 pm
You're beating around the wrong bush here mate :D I think we should just evacuate. Let the OP figure out his dream "free" synth.
LOL! You are probably right. I am done here. But I couldn't resist calling out the fallacy of the comparison made with hardware apparently having ALL of these "basic" elements. :D

This thread was pretty much a waste of everyone's time here...

Mod: I think it is about time you lock this thread (no offense to the OP). It's kind of like Sex and the city - after the show was over you wondered why you ever saw it. :wink:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:40 pm Mod: I think it is about time you lock this thread (no offense to the OP). It's kind of like Sex and the city - after the show was over you wondered why you ever saw it. :wink:
What? It's been all quiet here since Friday. Until you showed up to give it another bump! :lol:

IBTL!

I dunno, it seems like a reasonable request, which is surprisingly hard to fulfill
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

kvotchin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm Good luck finding something that meets all my criteria (even though this is simple as heck, or by rights should be...) *and* is a precise emulation of a vintage hardware synth. Oh, and is free.
Why would you expect all this to be free? :?

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”