SampleTank 4 on the way

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3 SampleTank 4 SampleTank 4 MAX SampleTank 4 SE SampleTank Custom Shop

if they fix the crashes and the memory usage, i'll be a happy camper (this is coming from a person who paid the preorder MAX price!) - there's a lot to like about SampleTank 4, and i sure wouldn't want a refund. even in today's damaged state, i can make use of it, since now i know where it crashes :D i can't rely on it while jamming, but i sure can use it for other things.

however, if, say, IK threw in some extra goodies for us early adopters as a "thank you" for enduring the pain and doing the beta test for them, i certainly wouldn't mind! that said, knowing IK, were any "goodies" to come, it'd probably be something useless, like more JamPoints or Gear Credits. now, if they released some new T-Racks modules and gave me those for free... that would be awesome!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm if they fix the crashes and the memory usage, i'll be a happy camper (this is coming from a person who paid the preorder MAX price!) - there's a lot to like about SampleTank 4, and i sure wouldn't want a refund. even in today's damaged state, i can make use of it, since now i know where it crashes :D i can't rely on it while jamming, but i sure can use it for other things.

however, if, say, IK threw in some extra goodies for us early adopters as a "thank you" for enduring the pain and doing the beta test for them, i certainly wouldn't mind! that said, knowing IK, were any "goodies" to come, it'd probably be something useless, like more JamPoints or Gear Credits. now, if they released some new T-Racks modules and gave me those for free... that would be awesome!
This.

I can use ST4M but it has issues and was a nightmare to install (I am still finding corrupt patches and re-downloading and using a different unzip package to get a clean install- I wasn't expecting to spend hours on this when I ordered the USB version!)

I am sure it will eventually be fixed and it has the potential to be very good, I can wait, but is was a pretty poor launch experience!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm
Burillo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:46 pm if they fix the crashes and the memory usage, i'll be a happy camper (this is coming from a person who paid the preorder MAX price!) - there's a lot to like about SampleTank 4, and i sure wouldn't want a refund. even in today's damaged state, i can make use of it, since now i know where it crashes :D i can't rely on it while jamming, but i sure can use it for other things.

This.

I can use ST4M but it has issues and was a nightmare to install (I am still finding corrupt patches and re-downloading and using a different unzip package to get a clean install- I wasn't expecting to spend hours on this when I ordered the USB version!)

I am sure it will eventually be fixed and it has the potential to be very good, I can wait, but is was a pretty poor launch experience!
Oh - totally agree! ST4's potential is amazing - for all of these issues, they got a lot of stuff right!

yeah, there's kind of three seperate things, Install,stability/features, plugin capability

The Install is an abomination. Maybe the worst install experience I've had since doing manual kernel builds to resolve incompatible binaries about 12 years ago. Like others, I'm still finding occasional libraries that didn't completely install for whatever reason. And for those of us with difficult internet situations, the process of randomly redownloading to just to figure out if "this is the zip I need" sucks monkey balls.

Memory usage is still terrible. Load times even with the finally added streaming tab are still terrible. However, the streaming itself seems to be working .. maybe because it's actually loading 99% of the samples it seems. Goofy crashes, which are probably more normal for a 1.0 release and are only really a problem due to the crappy installer and associated other nonsense of the release.

But the plugin itself seems to be pretty good. The new interface is way better than ST3. The effects are outstanding. The browser is still a weak link, but again better than ST3. The sounds are anywhere from super awful, to super awesome. Which is normal for stock library of this scope. But it has far more awesome than before. The mod page and the arp/seq page are excellent. I already commented but will reiterate, those pages are a bit obtuse to use. But once figure out they are excellent.

Anyhow, I don't regret ST4 the plugin. I just wish the installer was better thought out. Hopefully the memory allocation issues and streaming will be addressed with patches. I think long term this is a good buy ... which is the point of the pre-sale. Cue asshats complaining about the price because they didn't do the pre-sale.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

lol... i am waiting to hear that all this will be remedied in SampleTank 5... and that all will be worked out in this upcoming future release so pre-order your upgrade now for $99 (limited time intro pricing) and of course you will have to pay up front sight unseen with no demo to be released... you'll just have to trust us. lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:01 pm
DarkStar wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:29 pm
Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:22 pm ISSUE SOLVED: Sorry - did not have the chance to update over the weekend, but after my last post that re-installing the Acoustic drum kit sample parts did not work, support responded within the hour to ask if I had installed Sampletank sound installer 1.1 (not sound updater 1.1). It is very likely that I had installed sound installer 1.0 and then just applied the incremental sound updaters. Apparently this does not give the same result. Installed Sampletank sound installer 1.1 and the missing kits finally showed up.
Hold on. Are you saying the installing Sounds Installer 1.0 and then Sounds Updater 1.1 is NOT the same as installing Sounds installer 1.1? How big is each of those 3 download files?
Now - since IK are telling us to keep a copy of our downloads, what exactly do we now need to keep? And what do I need to install?
There’s a fair number of files I originally downloaded no longer in my list and new ones being added without any email saying they were there.
And do I need to download and run SampleTank 4 Max Instruments Installer 1.1 when everything seems to be working OK?
This hasn’t been the best of roll-outs!
Windows 10, 32GB RAM, Cakewalk by BandLab, Harrison Mixbus 5, Acoustica 7 Premium, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Izotope Elements Suite, Waves singles, Sampletank 4, BFD3, AAS Professional Series, XLN Drums and Keys + other VSTs.

A mess

groverken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm Now - since IK are telling us to keep a copy of our downloads, what exactly do we now need to keep? And what do I need to install?
There’s a fair number of files I originally downloaded no longer in my list and new ones being added without any email saying they were there.
And do I need to download and run SampleTank 4 Max Instruments Installer 1.1 when everything seems to be working OK?
So I would like to be able to say for sure what order to do things in, but I'm not even sure how I arrived where I am. That is to say, I think we need an updated "fresh install" procedure.

If it were me, I would install ST4 4.0.3, Sound installer 1.1 and then Sound updater 1.3, and finally all of the sample content files. I feel like that should work - but it would be nice to have this confirmed.

*FR*
in the sound browser, left click replaces selection instead of adding to it, right click adds to the selection, middle click removes all selection. As it is now it always adds to selection and re-selecting each one to deselect it.
Maybe there already is a modifier like I described but if not, please consider implementing it.

Thanks

How many out there are using successfully and what are your specs/DAW?

Windows 10, up to date. Reaper 5.973. Dell 7559 Inspiron (laptop), 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GTX 960M/Intel HD 530, i7 6700HQ (6th generation).

No crashing unless I really push it hard - more than I would use it in a real situation. Reasonable performance, but latency is high after a half dozen instruments or so (30+ effects, though).

It works well enough for me to actually use and take advantage of the great sound and other features.

@Mkdaws32@gmail.com

Thanks for update. That fixed the missing drum presets.

A quick look at the new sound files showing them as smaller in size. Maybe a better compression.

My specs are Mac, High Sierra. Intel i5 1.6 ghz, 8 gb ram, Intel HD 6000 and 256 SSD. I almost never crash, and I run it alongside a virtual machine (Linux, 2 gb ram). I use Notion 5, which is an outdated software for my OS.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:08 pm
groverken wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm Now - since IK are telling us to keep a copy of our downloads, what exactly do we now need to keep? And what do I need to install?
So I would like to be able to say for sure what order to do things in, but I'm not even sure how I arrived where I am. That is to say, I think we need an updated "fresh install" procedure.

If it were me, I would install ST4 4.0.3, Sound installer 1.1 and then Sound updater 1.3, and finally all of the sample content files. I feel like that should work - but it would be nice to have this confirmed.
I just got it & thats is the order in which I will be installing it..I will let everyone know how it go''s
fup4000

Weasel-Boy wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:47 am ...

You padded the library with more than 20 gigabytes of useless (or just plain boring) synth samples and loops, rather than providing useful sampled band and orchestral instruments. There was far more value in the standard ST3 purchase than the standard ST4, as far as original content is concerned, .... with an extra burn of an inflated upgrade price for previous ST3 owners thrown in for good measure.

Irrespective of the merits of your other criticisms, this one point is one for which you have no right to speak for everyone. Maybe the synth sample content is irrelevant to the kind of musical productions you pursue, but for some of us this "useless or just plain boring" synth content is much appreciated.
Last edited by dmbaer on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mkdaws32@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm
SLiC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm

This.

Oh - totally agree! ST4's potential is amazing - for all of these issues, they got a lot of stuff right!
Thank you for these honest assessments and some kind words, and I look forward to when any of the issues still affecting those in this thread are taken care of (and I'm confident they will be based on what I'm seeing internally where many are getting to truly use SampleTank 4 to its potential according to their reports back to IK Support). I appreciate the patience of those who are up and running well as well as those who aren't quite yet but will be soon.

With that in mind, there are some verified issues that have been added to the SampleTank 4 Status thread on the IK Forum:
  1. Crash when playing notes after loading several instruments (i.e. Black LP) [Will be fixed in 4.0.4]
  2. Sporadic crash when playing arpeggios [Will be fixed in 4.0.4]
  3. Crash when loading instruments with corrupted tanks [Will be fixed in 4.0.4]
  4. Combis from ST2 imported via ST3 not loading instruments correctly [Will be fixed in 4.0.4]
  5. PSTS engine (Pitch-shift/Time-stretch) or STRETCH resource usage optimization in certain cases
  6. General ongoing optimization

Return to “Instruments”