One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CS_TBL wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:07 pm Voted. Say uhm, since this is my maiden voyage in the OSC, that website now just says 'All Tracks Scored!'. And that's it? No need to do anything else and I can just close that website? :oops:
first time? way to show up, really enjoyed what you did, blew me away tbh cheers mate

and btw i'm only partly through voting but OMG what a month, you lot really brought it, super inspiring

doctorbob wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm Things like "nice track", are ok to get, but only tell you the person sort of liked it.
I feel guilty about that - I totally did it this month. I usually save my 3-word reviews for tracks I don't have a strong opinion about, but I realized there was probably no chance I'd find the time for 48 100-word reviews - I'd be busier than Robert Christgau in his heyday! I still thought it'd be nicer to at least acknowledge everyone's work with a little greeting than nothing at all, so I did that.

Also, this month was a lot more even in terms of mixing quality and sound with all of these great synths in action, which makes it harder to say anything specific about it - almost all of the tracks sounded somewhere between pretty and very good!

Oh well, in regards to my short reviews: The stronger the adjective, the better. Also, if the music brings to mind some association or other that I mention, it's usually a good thing. And "love" beats "like"! :hihi:
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

And I have voted! Still a lot of listening and adjusting to do, though - this is a massive collection of works!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

mmGhost wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:56 am first time? way to show up, really enjoyed what you did, blew me away tbh cheers mate
First time in this corner of the web. I've won contests elsewhere, but those are mostly new orchestral tunes for movieclips. :harp: :violin:

More FM8, covers mostly: https://www.youtube.com/user/mvsmsx/
Sound designer, composer, writer, FM8-galore, Win/SSD/i7/32GB, Cubase10Pro

Voted. What a brutal round. I wish there was a 3.5 and 4.5. I'm a little surprised and disappointed to not see an entry from Peter H. Would've liked to observe him in his natural habitat :)

Does anyone notice any new playback troubles with SC and/or Firefox? I get unusual buffering-type skips the last few days?!

functionform wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:46 pm Voted. What a brutal round. I wish there was a 3.5 and 4.5. I'm a little surprised and disappointed to not see an entry from Peter H. Would've liked to observe him in his natural habitat :)
He he he, nice that somebody missing Peter:H crap...actually I f***ed it up. I used Parawave Rapid ... but I've used some presets as base and too late recognized that they are built on samples. Then I was a bit pissed about me being stupid, gave up and threw some commercial fx on the WiP, added some pathetic samples and here you are... The samples are taken from a Movie scene featuring Pennywise. I took the german version because the voice was better...
https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/i-dr ... ll/s-BPxmx

Sounds like it would've done well, Peter! Haha... what gave it away it was samples? :lol: ... music is actually quite melodical and even pretty, which is weird, considering the title, hmmm... ah well. I didn't get to make one at all this month. But in light of what I was just listening through I am rather happy i didn't, haha... AMAZING STUFF!

I have voted...for no reason, but I did. :shrug: UNBELIEVABLE STUFF! Fantastic new musicians, too! :tu: :hyper:

VOTED
This was a tricky month, only cool tracks to judge. :phew:
Your skills of sound design, mixing and composing are really impressive :clap:

Good luck to all!

Leonard Bowman wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:59 pm Sorry to remain off topic
mostlyjustj wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:54 pm This is a bit unrelated, but as I'm going through these songs I'm wondering if there are any OSC'ers who are interested in jamming with me???
Yes... always interested in jamming, although I don't have much time for it. There's also Ninjam for jamming without latency issues.

There was a brief discussion of OSC jamming on the Slack channel a while ago. That may be a good place to coordinate such a thing.

Also, I guess I'm now eligible to vote, but due to time I'm not going to put myself through that. So far the tracks are really solid though. maybe i should vote straight 5's because that's how I feel!
Hahah... While it would be easy and somewhat explainable to vote all 5's for effort, there are definitely a few that stand out in their 5ness. Voting takes a while but I enjoy it, haha. I'll send you a DM about jamming if you are into it :tu:

Voted!

Feels like voting was the most difficult part of the challenge .. there's just so much amazing stuff in there :hyper:
Well done everyone! :tu:

Voted.
This time, for me, very distinctive top 4:

Full Bucket: best house jam piece
OnTrackP: most versatile, impressive set of sounds - absolutely great piece of work!
Loris: most evocative, symphonic piece
DrBob: funniest, great playing, skillful mix of trad/modern

All of the above, good balance in mastering.
(unfortunately, can´t say quite many of the other participants, too loud/unbalanced mixes/masterings take points down in my evaluation).

:party: :tu:

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 am unfortunately, can´t say quite many of the other participants, too loud/unbalanced mixes/masterings take points down in my evaluation.
I see. Now I understand why I was getting low points from you for the past few months. Point noted. :tu:

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 am All of the above, good balance in mastering.
(unfortunately, can´t say quite many of the other participants, too loud/unbalanced mixes/masterings take points down in my evaluation).
You sure about that?

I will give you some numbers for tracks you said that have balanced mix/master.
I don't want to badmouth those tracks and I'm not saying that they are bad. No no no, those are great tracks, but you pointed that these are well balanced regarding mix and other tracks go too much for loudness. For all tracks you mention only one of them have acceptable loudness range but still there is some clipping here in that track. I'm not attacking you choice of top placement it is your choice and you have all rights to choose whoever you want. It just you use wrong arguments. :P
Full Bucket - Dark Drums
Max momentary loudness -6,6 LUFS
Max short term loudness -8,8 LUFS
Integrated loudness -11,1 LUFS
Loudness range 3,7 LU
True peak L +0,20db / 321 clipped samples
True peak R +0.09db / 248 clipped samples
DC offset L +0.770%
DC offset R +0.801%

OnTrackP - Zebra Blues In Em
Max momentary loudness -7,3 LUFS
Max short term loudness -8,2 LUFS
Integrated loudness -10,7 LUFS
Loudness range 5,7 LU
True peak L +0,86db / 393 clipped samples
True peak R +0.35db / 35 clipped samples
DC offset L -0.001%
DC offset R -0.001%

Loris - Off World Colonies
Max momentary loudness -6,3 LUFS
Max short term loudness -8,5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -13,6 LUFS
Loudness range 9,4 LU
True peak L +0,86db / 472 clipped samples
True peak R +0.35db / 269 clipped samples
DC offset L +0.003%
DC offset R +0.003%

DoctorBob - LindyHoppers
Max momentary loudness -3,7 LUFS
Max short term loudness -5,4 LUFS
Integrated loudness -7,1 LUFS
Loudness range 2,7 LU
True peak L +0,00db
True peak R +0.01db / 1 clipped sample
DC offset L +0.018%
DC offset R +0.019%

I can show you example of two you didn't mention that have far better balanced mix (and it is not just about numbers I posted but overal tonal balance and so on) and those are:
Photonic - Moonrise
Max momentary loudness -10,0 LUFS
Max short term loudness -10,6 LUFS
Integrated loudness -16,7 LUFS
Loudness range 11,1 LU
True peak L -0,49db
True peak R -0.29db
DC offset L +0.000%
DC offset R +0.000%

VCA-089 - Starry Ocean
Max momentary loudness -8,3 LUFS
Max short term loudness -9,5 LUFS
Integrated loudness -14,4 LUFS
Loudness range 10,4 LU
True peak L -0,38db
True peak R -0.74db
DC offset L +0.000%
DC offset R +0.000%

So again your choice is good because it is your choice and it is up to you what do you like. You can not be forced to like something else but you should not use imaginary data. No offense. Sorry I just can't help myself and yea I know I'm an as*hole. :oops:

Return to “Instruments”