One Synth Challenge #121: Any One Synth (Rellik Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everyone has their own opinion on what they consider good technique.
We all try to attain a sound that we want to hear and that includes musically style, tonal balance, dynamics, ...

I can't critique, or give advice on a piece based on what I would like to hear, but instead try and keep an open mind and assume that the creator made their choice based on their personal preference.

Reviews/advice should very much be taken with a grain of salt and not be taken literally.
Last edited by mclstr on Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrojakEW wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:00 pm So again your choice is good because it is your choice and it is up to you what do you like. You can not be forced to like something else but you should not use imaginary data. No offense. Sorry I just can't help myself and yea I know I'm an as*hole. :oops:
To your credit, you're a very entertaining a**hole! :lol:
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

schiing wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:42 pm
TrojakEW wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:00 pm So again your choice is good because it is your choice and it is up to you what do you like. You can not be forced to like something else but you should not use imaginary data. No offense. Sorry I just can't help myself and yea I know I'm an as*hole. :oops:
To your credit, you're a very entertaining a**hole! :lol:
That is very subjective, too. Someone may have DATA, which support the opposite evidence.
P.s. Was that entertaining, as well?

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:43 am Voted.
This time, for me, very distinctive top 4:

Full Bucket: best house jam piece
OnTrackP: most versatile, impressive set of sounds - absolutely great piece of work!
Loris: most evocative, symphonic piece
DrBob: funniest, great playing, skillful mix of trad/modern

All of the above, good balance in mastering.
(unfortunately, can´t say quite many of the other participants, too loud/unbalanced mixes/masterings take points down in my evaluation).

:party: :tu:
Cough, cough,
Also one of them used non synth thingies
:o
I just thought I'd point it out, however now I feel like a tell tale :oops: was mentioned when submitted.
All good with me though, my voting is based on my own criteria :phones: :hug: :party: 8)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm That is very subjective, too. Someone may have DATA, which support the opposite evidence.
P.s. Was that entertaining, as well?
Well, I have to admit that I detect an ominous undertone here, so that can't be good. But juxtaposed with your profile pic, I totally read that comment with Harry Callahan's voice in my head - so I'm afraid it was.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Hmm...this seems to be bloody serious for some people. (What comes to the claimed rule violations, those reclamations should be directed in formal way to the organizer - or otherwise shut up).

Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm Hmm...this seems to be bloody serious for some people. (What comes to the claimed rule violations, those reclamations should be directed in formal way to the organizer - or otherwise shut up).
Or what?
Its in the submission detailz....

Chillout doooode, Crumb's, some people just make my day :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

"using banned stuff" … in the oft quoted famous words "It wasn't me!" …

Also, as you say stats are great as a guide. I did use all the tools available to me to analyse as I went on. My "30's'" styled track sort of reflects the sound you would have got from a small band (not a full big band) playing in a small dancehall or "tea room" dance.

In those days no-one really cared too much about technical streaming or broadcast standards! Heck, a full orchestra would, and still does in many cases, break all the health and safety audio rules! The bands I worked with and listened to in the 70-80-90's were all very loud (ears ringing for many hours afterwards! Yes, I know VERY BAD). Then we had the various club eras with their loud bangin' music, which again, would often hit the red light limiters in the venues! Easily fixed by disabling the device!

Yes, I know I *should* adhere to some of the "standards" for loudness and compression, but, I did that and then pushed it away from the -14LUFS to get the sounds/dynamics I wanted for the track. I did not see that ONE clipped sample in my audio view - probably an MP3 coding artefact (known to do this!).

But, maybe I did push it too far and lost the "air"! Weirdly, when the "crash" hits, the energy in the high freqs goes bananas, but you don't really hear that, but you do see it and think … whoa, that's gotta be bad, from an analysis point of view!

Anyway, I just hope your enjoyment of the track was not compromised by odd loudness contours.

I still enjoyed making it, and that's what counts for me.

dB

doctorbob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 pm "using banned stuff" … in the oft quoted famous words "It wasn't me!" …

Also, as you say stats are great as a guide. I did use all the tools available to me to analyse as I went on. My "30's'" styled track sort of reflects the sound you would have got from a small band (not a full big band) playing in a small dancehall or "tea room" dance.

In those days no-one really cared too much about technical streaming or broadcast standards! Heck, a full orchestra would, and still does in many cases, break all the health and safety audio rules! The bands I worked with and listened to in the 70-80-90's were all very loud (ears ringing for many hours afterwards! Yes, I know VERY BAD). Then we had the various club eras with their loud bangin' music, which again, would often hit the red light limiters in the venues! Easily fixed by disabling the device!

Yes, I know I *should* adhere to some of the "standards" for loudness and compression, but, I did that and then pushed it away from the -14LUFS to get the sounds/dynamics I wanted for the track. I did not see that ONE clipped sample in my audio view - probably an MP3 coding artefact (known to do this!).

But, maybe I did push it too far and lost the "air"! Weirdly, when the "crash" hits, the energy in the high freqs goes bananas, but you don't really hear that, but you do see it and think … whoa, that's gotta be bad, from an analysis point of view!

Anyway, I just hope your enjoyment of the track was not compromised by odd loudness contours.

I still enjoyed making it, and that's what counts for me.

dB
I shud a kept me keyboard shut. :evil: :clown: :clap:

As an aside, Manalyser is useful, as is Youleans free Lufs.
Sometimes you can get a bit sidetracked by stats and such like without considering the track itself.
So apology to all who may feel slighted by my posts, as I writ its all in the submission details, I look at these as it's a good way to find cool freeware, like Boz BOD or trojakew's super cool amplio...

So, I'll sidle of to my quiet place and leave everyone in peace.

Once again apology, signing off :hug:

doctorbob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 pm But, maybe I did push it too far and lost the "air"! Weirdly, when the "crash" hits, the energy in the high freqs goes bananas, but you don't really hear that, but you do see it and think … whoa, that's gotta be bad, from an analysis point of view!
This may confirm a theory I had actually - this was one of several tracks of yours where I’ve experienced a distracting/piercing amount of high frequencies in the cymbals, and I wondered whether your high frequency hearing (or monitoring) may be somewhat reduced? No offense intended, and I can sympathize that it must be frustrating if that’s the case - I don’t hold it against your tracks by any means - and I could easily be mistaken. But in this case, I think your visual analysis is showing you something relevant.

Yeah, you're probably right. My final monitoring device is now 70 years old and probably not working in the higher frequencies anymore!

I'll pay more attention to the freq analysis and see if it makes a difference!

dB

Eauson wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm
Harry_HH wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm Hmm...this seems to be bloody serious for some people. (What comes to the claimed rule violations, those reclamations should be directed in formal way to the organizer - or otherwise shut up).
Or what?
Its in the submission detailz....

Chillout doooode, Crumb's, some people just make my day :D
This guy seems to be so out with his comments.
I gave my voting, after that some other people commented my voting. Anyone who reads these pages can see, that its you and someone, who are not that cool. :party:

:( :roll:
All I could see was you said peoples tracks were badly mixed/mastered with points deduction from yourself and someone pointed out the stats and then I writ someone had used non synth thingies, which were included in suubmission details and then you said i shud report it or shut up.
That's all....

Oh yes, I have voted, GLTA :party: :phones:

P.S I know I'm not cool, I'm a low ranking contributor to the challenge, that's why I tend to stay stum...

doctorbob wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:21 pmAnyway, I just hope your enjoyment of the track was not compromised by odd loudness contours.
Actually you did good job with your track. I liked and give you 5points. What you achieved is quite great considering loudness. Pushing it so high and not intrudocing "destructive" distortion on audio is hard especially with type of instruments and music style you made.

I'm going compare your uploaded mp3 with streaming version from soundcloud if there are any differencies. Your track is such a good specimen.

@Trojak, WAV file available here … https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1nze9t6mf6ni ... y.wav?dl=0

dB

PS thanks for the confidence vote (and boost!).

Spectra with crash and without crash!

ImageImage

Return to “Instruments”