bx_oberhausen from Plugin Alliance has landed

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

May be I missed something. Do they have dry only demos, so I could compare sound to hardware?
I mean I love they reverb and delay effects but I have spare ones.
Last edited by david.beholder on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murderous duck!

jsp1979 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:46 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:38 pm Nobody comments on Hy-Mono as comparison?
Wha?
https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-mono/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBTFCyfSJ7k
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:10 pm
Teksonik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm Just gave the demo a quick go and here's my review...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone must have sustained a head wound. :drunk:

Anyway if it goes on sale for $9 I might buy it just for grins and giggles...... :shrug:

Serious question , have you ever played a real sem , or own one ?
I guess not , you comment on how bad it sounds clearly proves this
Is it expensive ,yes it is
Is it worth the asking price , you decide
But saying that the brainworx plug sounds like cheap freeware is just ridiculous :tu:
Yes, Oberhausen sounds really good to my ears, despite not having any experience with other SEM plugins nor hardware to compare to.

I wouldn't necessarily discredit freeware though. Noisemaker for example, despite being inspired by Roland - not Oberheim, also sounds very good in my opinion. It might be a tiny bit less accurately modeled on technical level than the latest few emulations, but then again it is also almost 10 years old at this point. Still great sounding nevertheless, still perfectly viable.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I certainly don't discredit freeware , some of them I value more then payware
-dexed
-obxd
-pg8x
-charlatan
-synth 1 etc ... are all top notch

And yes TAL freeware is great , but his payware stuff is a couple of notches higher , TALmod is just :tu: :tu:
ANd I don't think tal noisemaker is 10 years old , the filters got updated 2 or 3 years ago ....
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Aloysius wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:41 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:38 pm Nobody comments on Hy-Mono as comparison?
Wha?
Wow, that's the worst "presentation" video i've ever seen. I mean, i'm sure it doesn't sound as bad as that. :P

My point was rather that i don't really think it's comparable with Oberhausen.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Wha?
Wow, that's the worst "presentation" video i've ever seen. I mean, i'm sure it doesn't sound as bad as that. :P

Reminded me of the classic Timbre Wolf demo. :lol:

A circuit bent one :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:17 pm
Wha?

Ouch, I just watched parts of the video and
....oh yeah, it's pretty bad.

Not the synth, but the demo video itself is just... :shock:

Playing this side by side with the Arturia SEM on the init setting going back and forth between saw and pulse. The BX has a slightly more crisp edge to it for sure, especially when you crank up the frequency of the VCF in both versions. Otherwise the core sound between the two of them is remarkably close. I already own the Arturia version, so while the BX seems slightly better, it's not enough for me to spend the cash. Maybe if it goes for crazy sale someday.

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm To get a real idea of the magic of an 4-voice SEM you should play it with an MPE controller and have 4 different instances each slightly differently set. Unison has not so much to do with the original but can be achieved the same way...
Get creative in your DAW...
This isn't MPE-compatible, is it?

If it is I'd consider it... in a flash sale with my $50 voucher.

Hopefully UA's synth will be MPE compatible, since several of their plugins have been designed to be controlled by the Lightpad.

Am I the only one who finds the scaling on the Oscillator level knobs to be totally bizarre and annoying?

I'm referring the level scaling (volume) of the two Osc knobs -- the ones you turn left for Saw level and right for Square level.

• From 0 to 50% they are either totally inaudible or very, very quiet. At 50% it's still a totally quiet level. This is HALF the range of the knob and it's basically not usable at any value within that half of the range. wtf? Put it at 45%, play a key, my metering in Ableton *barely* shows the slightest sliver of signal. seriously why would you design this like this? There's no functional difference, in use, between a setting of .5% and a setting of 45% on the knob ?!?

• From 50% to 70% it has level, you can hear it, but it it's STILL pretty low level. 60% is still QUIET.

• From 70% to 100% the thing suddenly kicks in and is WAY louder (this is clearly not a linear curve from 0 to 100, no idea if that's accurate or not, but it certainly is weird and seems counter-intuitive). From 80 to 100 seems essentially the same sort of "full loudness".

Point being, anything less than 50% seems functionally useless, above 50 is still way too quiet, you have to hit 70 before it sounds 'normal'. What a useless knob!

As a 'mixer' control it's totally bizarre. I don't get it, and I definitely don't like it. Just me?!

This synth does sound very good, but also good as most of synths today. One thing i dont understand, why not to simplify programing a bit and separate some controls. For a such feature simple synth its sure cumbersome to get around to program sounds.

It has to look like the old SEM. Or people won't believe it sounds like a SEM... Marketing is always more important than features... (For those who sell it, not for those who use it...)

Tj Shredder wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:26 am It has to look like the old SEM. Or people won't believe it sounds like a SEM... Marketing is always more important than features... (For those who sell it, not for those who use it...)
But it has a mid/side function, which is obviously more important than having separate volume controls for the oscillators. :hihi: :roll:

Ou_Tis wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:40 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm To get a real idea of the magic of an 4-voice SEM you should play it with an MPE controller and have 4 different instances each slightly differently set. Unison has not so much to do with the original but can be achieved the same way...
Get creative in your DAW...
This isn't MPE-compatible, is it?
No, its not (well I didn't test it, but I guess not). But in Bitwig and also Mainstage/Logic I have a pretty streamlined method to turn any mono synth into a MPE poly synth. That simply means you route each Midi channel to one instance. Works like a charm and gives you the opportunity to have each voice slightly different. The original Oberheim 4-voice required you to dial in the same sound on every SEM module...

Return to “Instruments”