The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
layzer
KVRAF
6542 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm

Still out of sync:

well, i figured it was about time to see what ol wags has been up to
and im glad i did. this was a good one. i think we are all a little out of sync in one way or another.
but musically this was very in sync. very well done. no critique, i just really enjoyed it as is. good work, wags :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:32 am

layzer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:39 pm
Still out of sync:

well, i figured it was about time to see what ol wags has been up to
and im glad i did. this was a good one. i think we are all a little out of sync in one way or another.
but musically this was very in sync. very well done. no critique, i just really enjoyed it as is. good work, wags :tu:
Shows you what 9 days of hard work'll do. No Layzer nit picks. :lol:

See, now the pressure's on. I gotta follow this thing up with something just as good. :cry: :dog: :help:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 am

jancivil wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm
wagtunes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:22 pm
jancivil wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:02 pm
I have only the sketchiest of notions about what is popular.

However yesterday I was in Starbucks and it was indie rock for a while, then they kinda returned to it after a long set of old jazz vocal numbers, Ella, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday. I'm pretty sure from the production the indie rock was newish at least.
Wow! No Starbucks around us plays that stuff. Must be the location.
This was pretty anomalous. Berkeley CA is the worst in my experience; this is out in the sticks, I wonder if the personnel in the venue determines what playlist. I usually have to leave right away, in fact I don't even use Starbucks typically behind it.
if it's anything like the way supermarkets choose music, areas of high turnover they like to play faster music to keep the staff motivated.
lower turnover (as in less numbers through the door) they play more relaxed music to lull the shopper in to a relaxed state, therefore more likely to browse.
theres more to it obviously but that's the main thrust.

i can however find no scientific reason the dwp use a 12 second gm loop of vivaldis four seasons when you phone them.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am

nice work!
the extra time you're putting in is paying off, doesn't sound like a rushed demo. sounds like a fully formed pop song :)

as for the tribute? i would have said blue oyster cult except for the lack of cowbell :hihi:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:12 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:55 am
nice work!
the extra time you're putting in is paying off, doesn't sound like a rushed demo. sounds like a fully formed pop song :)

as for the tribute? i would have said blue oyster cult except for the lack of cowbell :hihi:
Yeah, a fully formed pop song for 30 something years ago. :lol:

As for the cowbell, I don't think this group used one. :hihi:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:13 am

time is a man made construct that runs in cycles, so you're ahead of your time too :)

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 am

i know in the past you've named a band as one of your favourites of the era, but i dont know enough of their material to judge whether it's close. i only really know one song, which was a ballad...

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:33 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 am
i know in the past you've named a band as one of your favourites of the era, but i dont know enough of their material to judge whether it's close. i only really know one song, which was a ballad...
Well, I can give you a hint. It's actually not a band I've ever named here.

So you can eliminate...

ELO
Genesis
Kansas
Yes
Renaissance
Triumvirate
Starcastle
Gentle Giant
King Crimson
Fireballet

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:38 am

well ill play along as you go 8)

maybe a couple more tracks in, we will get more clues :hihi:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:51 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:38 am
well ill play along as you go 8)

maybe a couple more tracks in, we will get more clues :hihi:
All I need to do is a remake of my song "I See It In Your Eyes" and everybody will get it. That song was as close to plagiarism as you can get without stepping over the line. My only regret is that I wrote and recorded it at a time when I really sucked doing this. Today, it would sound a hell of a lot better.

And it would also give the group away in a matter of seconds.

Can't believe next year will be 35 years since I did "Out Of Sync."

Boy, time sure flies.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
44262 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:35 am

soft machine?
the title made me think of them "see it in your eyes"

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:40 am

vurt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:35 am
soft machine?
the title made me think of them "see it in your eyes"
Nope. Not them. Nice guess though.

User avatar
thejonsolo
KVRAF
2126 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 am

Ha keep us guessing...and keep us listening. I know your tricks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4hkgr0mk8c

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
15547 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 am

thejonsolo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:24 am
Ha keep us guessing...and keep us listening. I know your tricks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4hkgr0mk8c
I just want to do this tribute justice. Anything else is gravy.

Stanoli
KVRist
209 posts since 5 Feb, 2014

Re: The Wagtunes Corner

Post Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:30 am

Chorus from Still out of sync is very similar to Ariel Pinks <Time to meet your god>:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkgFRE1eTeA

Return to “Music Cafe”