DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

tusk
KVRist
51 posts since 18 Jun, 2015

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:56 am

...ooops I can see that the multichannel support works instantly with flexi.... i don't have to do anything, assign any slots.
Very happy with this. Thank you!!

Vette Jus
KVRer
1 posts since 19 Apr, 2019

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 am

@moss Is there a way of set the starting main mode to a different one? Mine is starting at the second scene button: play mode and I would like to start with the session mode (which says it is default, but mine is default at the play mode)

I really like your script, good work! I wanted to ditch Ableton and the APC, but I'm glad I didn't and discovered Bitwig and your controller script. ITS AWESOME!! everything in my studio just works and your script makes the apc even more usefull than it should be with ableton. very nice!!

and btw: When I'm in play mode and play in key or chomatic and hit a key, there are more buttons lid up, is this just to show where the next octave is? or are these notes actually triggered? I think the first one

da10us
KVRer
16 posts since 30 Jul, 2016

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm

moss wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 am
da10us wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:45 am
Thanks for the update!

I'm trying the Flexi script with a Line6 FBV Express (foot controller) to start/stop recordings. This works nice as long as you use CC for the buttons. But I would also like the pedal to control normal CC like Expression. But Flexi will only fulfill a slot when it is connected to a function.

Is it possible to bypass the CC of the pedal and let Flexi forward the CC? Are there any other methods to accomplish this? Or would it be an idea to have a bypass function in Flexi?

Regards
Sorry, I am not sure I understand what your question is. You want to control the different things with the same CC or ...?!
My controller has 4 buttons and 1 fader. When I hook up this controller to Flexi I manage to use CC's to the different Flexi function slots. I don't want the fader (different CC) to use a function, instead I would like the fader CC to control expression on a selected midi track. So on the same controller some buttons/faders to Flexi functions and others just midi controls for devices/tracks.

I could add another generic MIDI Keyboard with the same midi in/ouputs, but that one would also record the buttons. Best would be that Flexi forward unassigned CC/note/etc. to the selected MIDI track as it was a Generic Keyboard. This doesn't seem the case at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hopes this clarifies a bit.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 am

Vette Jus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 am
@moss Is there a way of set the starting main mode to a different one? Mine is starting at the second scene button: play mode and I would like to start with the session mode (which says it is default, but mine is default at the play mode)
Currently, not.
Vette Jus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 am
and btw: When I'm in play mode and play in key or chomatic and hit a key, there are more buttons lid up, is this just to show where the next octave is? or are these notes actually triggered? I think the first one
The notes which are lit represent the same note.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am

da10us wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm
My controller has 4 buttons and 1 fader. When I hook up this controller to Flexi I manage to use CC's to the different Flexi function slots. I don't want the fader (different CC) to use a function, instead I would like the fader CC to control expression on a selected midi track. So on the same controller some buttons/faders to Flexi functions and others just midi controls for devices/tracks.

I could add another generic MIDI Keyboard with the same midi in/ouputs, but that one would also record the buttons. Best would be that Flexi forward unassigned CC/note/etc. to the selected MIDI track as it was a Generic Keyboard. This doesn't seem the case at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong.
Ah, ok. Yes, that's currently not possible. Unmapped notes are forwarded but not the other MIDI types.

da10us
KVRer
16 posts since 30 Jul, 2016

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:23 am

moss wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am
da10us wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm
My controller has 4 buttons and 1 fader. When I hook up this controller to Flexi I manage to use CC's to the different Flexi function slots. I don't want the fader (different CC) to use a function, instead I would like the fader CC to control expression on a selected midi track. So on the same controller some buttons/faders to Flexi functions and others just midi controls for devices/tracks.

I could add another generic MIDI Keyboard with the same midi in/ouputs, but that one would also record the buttons. Best would be that Flexi forward unassigned CC/note/etc. to the selected MIDI track as it was a Generic Keyboard. This doesn't seem the case at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong.
Ah, ok. Yes, that's currently not possible. Unmapped notes are forwarded but not the other MIDI types.
Any change on adding 'bypass' under the function slots? :ud:

XelaBit
KVRer
25 posts since 30 Nov, 2014

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:51 am

Hi Jürgen,
Suddenly my Launchpad Pro is complete black when launching Bitwig (all lights off and no function). I tried the Launchpad the first time with Melodics today and after that it does not work in Bitwig anymore. I tried everything from reseting the Launchpad Pro firmware to a new Bitwig installation. I changed absolutely nothing on my MacBook Pro (no updates). Tried different USB ports without success. I am using your last Bitwig Extension and Mac OS 10.14.4. This issue is driving me crazy. Do you have an idea to solve it?

Best regards, Alexander

XelaBit
KVRer
25 posts since 30 Nov, 2014

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:44 am

Ok, so I found the reason for the issue. I changed the midi channel on the Launchpad Pro to Channel 4. When I switched back to channel 1 everything is working :-)

Best regards, Alex

dadadada
KVRer
2 posts since 16 Sep, 2017

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm

moss wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:50 pm
dadadada wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:08 pm
First of all: thanks a lot @moss you literally drive the controller landscape within Bitwig and thus also mine!

For me it is a AKAI APC40 + XoneK2 (using the GenCtrl) in use and currently I am especially with the drum sequencer like a child in disneyland. So with the high danger that this was asked before and this might not be the perfect place to do so:

Is there any chance to avoid that the clip launcher (especially in drum sequencer mode is following the cursor within Bitwig, means I would like to keep the clip launcher frozen on the drum sequencer "track" all the time. Am I maybe simply too stupid to use Bitwig correctly?

Thanks alot and keep up the awesome work...
cheers
You need to pin the track and device (**Shift + Dev. Lock**) and might also want to turn off "Select clip on launch" in the settings of the extension.
Also watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4JJsxIcUU
This perfectly works for the device pinning (8 knobs on lower right side always pinned to the drum machine's modulators), but once I click (with the mouse) on a track within the clip launcher, the drum sequencer moving "green dot" on my apc40 vanishes and also the lower part of the 64buttons change, too. I somehow have the impression I am really just messing up, especially as I don't fully understand your "Shift + Dev. Lock" in parenthesis. To activate the pinning I simply change into the pinning(?) view and there I select the right "spot" (clip/device) for the controller and (simple, once, left) click on the pin to get it pinned.

To avoid (maybe further) misunderstandings I tried to catch it all with some images:
Attached you'll find screenshots and the 2 relevant images from the akai (for akai set right so far I understood you correctly),
bitwig_drum_sequencer.png
These are just screenshots from relevant bitwig parts, for the sage of completeness.
The full drum sequencer (see last image) is only fully visible (including the chosen notes and the moving "green activity indicator"), if I clicked on the electrokit clip (Track 4, Scene 1 on the attached image). Once I click on _any_ other clip the lower part stays similar and to upper part is black (no moving green light and so on). The latter does not happen if I click a non existing clip inside the launcher.

Thanks alot, best
apc40_non_drummachine.jpg
apc40_drummachine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kfrncs
KVRer
2 posts since 29 Apr, 2019

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am

Hey Moss! I've installed your script for Bitwig OSC on Linux, but when I go into controllers and try to add the settings, I have only "None" under MIDI, and there's no options for send/receive, etc. The OSC button isn't there. What steps can I take to correct this? I'm hoping to get Bitwig and Supercollider playing together. Thanks for your time.

dot.solenoid
KVRer
14 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 pm

Hello Moss,

I'm using your awesome push2 bitwig script, but one issue holds me back in the usage. As an example I created 11 pages device pages for the VSTI Raw-kick. The page for the Layer 2 Sample controls is named "L2 Sample". There are 8 buttons create for "kick start", "Kick curve", "Kick decay", "Vol attack", "Vol curve" and "Vol Decay". Due to the VSTI parameter naming like "Layer 2 Sample Attack volume" every button on the push 2 is now called "Layer2Sam"

Image
https://photos.app.goo.gl/n69JCJiN29iUmJkj8

Could we rename those display parameters names using an XML or TXT file?

VSTI reference.Paramtername = push2displayname

Raw-kick.Layer 2 Sample Attack volume = V.Attack
Raw-kick.Layer 2 Sample Decay volume = V.Decay

Now I never know what a button does so I'm using mouse and VTSI windows instead of the device pages and push2 knobs.

Also, the default contrast difference in the selected device page is really hard to see, is almost unnoticeable in the picture that "l2 Sample" is selected. Without going too deep into the issue, we humans are terrible in detecting levels of brightness. Also, some of us are colourblind, this complicates design UI's. Possible options are: increase the difference between the dark & light grey, different (colourblind friendly) or inverted colours on the selected TAB. Consider contrasting dark and light colours.

Background 424242
Background darker 212121
Background selected 9E9E9E

Image

or https://www.materialui.co/flatuicolors
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:30 am

kfrncs wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am
Hey Moss! I've installed your script for Bitwig OSC on Linux, but when I go into controllers and try to add the settings, I have only "None" under MIDI, and there's no options for send/receive, etc. The OSC button isn't there. What steps can I take to correct this? I'm hoping to get Bitwig and Supercollider playing together. Thanks for your time.
You need at least to have 1 MIDI input on your system, e.g. install a virtual or remote midi driver.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:32 am

da10us wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:23 am
moss wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:39 am
da10us wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm
My controller has 4 buttons and 1 fader. When I hook up this controller to Flexi I manage to use CC's to the different Flexi function slots. I don't want the fader (different CC) to use a function, instead I would like the fader CC to control expression on a selected midi track. So on the same controller some buttons/faders to Flexi functions and others just midi controls for devices/tracks.

I could add another generic MIDI Keyboard with the same midi in/ouputs, but that one would also record the buttons. Best would be that Flexi forward unassigned CC/note/etc. to the selected MIDI track as it was a Generic Keyboard. This doesn't seem the case at the moment, but maybe I'm wrong.
Ah, ok. Yes, that's currently not possible. Unmapped notes are forwarded but not the other MIDI types.
Any change on adding 'bypass' under the function slots? :ud:
I aded the option to have any CC as a function. This way you cannot only forward but also remap CCs! Will be in the next update.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:38 am

dadadada wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:39 pm
These are just screenshots from relevant bitwig parts, for the sage of completeness.
The full drum sequencer (see last image) is only fully visible (including the chosen notes and the moving "green activity indicator"), if I clicked on the electrokit clip (Track 4, Scene 1 on the attached image). Once I click on _any_ other clip the lower part stays similar and to upper part is black (no moving green light and so on). The latter does not happen if I click a non existing clip inside the launcher.
The problem is that you cannot pin the clip. If you click on a different clip (on a different track) it will be selected. So, I am afraid there is currently no solution for what you are trying to do.

User avatar
moss
KVRAF
1571 posts since 13 May, 2004

Re: DrivenByMoss - Bitwig extension for lots of controller devices (and more)

Post Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:49 am

dot.solenoid wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 pm
Due to the VSTI parameter naming like "Layer 2 Sample Attack volume" every button on the push 2 is now called "Layer2Sam"
You can already rename each parameter in Bitwig. Simply double click the name and enter a new one.
dot.solenoid wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:57 pm
Also, the default contrast difference in the selected device page is really hard to see, is almost unnoticeable in the picture that "l2 Sample" is selected. Without going too deep into the issue, we humans are terrible in detecting levels of brightness. Also, some of us are colourblind, this complicates design UI's. Possible options are: increase the difference between the dark & light grey, different (colourblind friendly) or inverted colours on the selected TAB. Consider contrasting dark and light colours.
You can change the colors in the settings und "Display Colors" of the Push 2 extension. Play around with "Background" and "Background Selected".

Return to “Controller Scripting”