Aly James Lab VSDSX 2.0

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VProm VSDSX SDSV Drums

As a synthwave lover, I've been a big fan of Aly James' VPROM vst, but never wanted to use Jbridge for his other stuff (all 32bit). So I've been desperately waiting for VSDSX 2.0 (Simmons drums emulation) to be updated to a 64bit version aaaaaand... it's finally here! :party: :tu:

Instabuy! (just waiting for the serial to be sent before any feedback :D )

Now waiting for his megadrive synth to follow the same path.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Nice, thanks. I’ve been waiting for this one as well. On vacation now but will have to update once I get back home.

I ordered the upgrade last night. Just waiting on the links. Glad to see this wasn't abandoned. VPROM (Linn Drum) and VSDSX (Simmons) are both must own plugins IMO. At least if you're doing anything with any kind of 80's vibe. Far better than what you'll get from samples. Also, VPROM loads Oberheim DMX EPROMs, so it covers that machine too. I'm very happy about VSDSX 2.0. The original is basically my "cheesy 80's tom fill" machine.

Since he started charging money for minor updates (VPROM 2.03 to 2.04) because 'piracy happened', I'm never buying any of his plugins ever again. Making your honest customers pay for loss of income because of piracy is just not done.

Also, he claims he's lost at least 50% of his income due to piracy (source: http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvprom_update.html). Does he really think that all these pirates would buy VPROM if they couldn't get it for free? The guy clearly doesn't know much about how to run a business.

I'd say shunning a solo developer for them asking for a 5 dollar donation to help them out of financial difficulty reflects worse on you than on Aly.

Upgrade price is kinda steep. 30 EUR?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

mcbpete wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 pm I'd say shunning a solo developer for them asking for a 5 dollar donation to help them out of financial difficulty reflects worse on you than on Aly.
It's not about the $5, it's about the principle. The guy is literally begging for money with piracy as an excuse. That doesn't work for me.
There are many solo developers whose products got pirated, but I don't see them begging for more money to their loyal customers.

Reefius wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:58 pm Since he started charging money for minor updates (VPROM 2.03 to 2.04) because 'piracy happened', I'm never buying any of his plugins ever again. Making your honest customers pay for loss of income because of piracy is just not done.

Also, he claims he's lost at least 50% of his income due to piracy (source: http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvprom_update.html). Does he really think that all these pirates would buy VPROM if they couldn't get it for free? The guy clearly doesn't know much about how to run a business.
FWIW it sounds like he's saying his income dropped by 50% when his plugins got pirated. So assuming I'm reading it correctly either he's lying (and don't really see any reason to believe that's the case) or the usual "most pirates wouldn't buy the plugins anyways" argument is completely irrelevant.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

I hate piracy...and openly condemn it.

However, for someone to say "Piracy happened. Aftermath is at least 50% less income" is a HUGE stretch. This is literally the same as saying that 50% of his buyers felt FORCED into purchasing his software before it was pirated and would not have, had they had access to a pirated copy. There is no other conclusion to draw since he claims he LITERALLY lost more than 50% of his income AFTER it was pirated. And that is absurd.

From what I have read, people who download illegitimate copies of software in general will wait till the software is pirated, and download it then, instead of purchasing a legitimate copy. This means they NEVER intended to purchase the product.

My gut would say sales dropped off after the initial fervor dropped for the product, and the remnant of sales come from those either just learning about the product (as I just did...though I passed on the purchase) or actually being able to afford/acquire a legitimate license.

I am not saying that he lost NO sales as a result of piracy. I just think his figures are ambitious to say the least.

Aloysius wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 pm Upgrade price is kinda steep. 30 EUR?
It's not cheap considering the original asking price, but I only paid 15 EUR last year and he's charging 45 EUR for a new version 2 license now now. In the meantime, I've used it a ton. So yeah, I'm not getting a discount as an early adopter, but it's still worth 45 EUR to me now so I don't feel like I'm being cheated or owed anything. In the end, I'm paying the same 45 EUR (15 EUR last year plus another 30 to upgrade) someone else would be paying today but I've had the product for months and months. I've certainly paid more for plugins I've used less than this.

Listening to the demos, it seems like the kick has been improved. I didn’t see anything mentioned about it but I didn’t find the kick very usable in V1 and was hoping it’d be better once updated. Since I can’t get into this until I’m home from vacation next week, can anybody with V2 comment on the kick and if it’s changed? I used to find it hard to get a tight and solid kick without it sounding too sweepy before. The current demos seem to sound more like how I’ve heard it on recordings. Thanks.

DMG68 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:23 pm Listening to the demos, it seems like the kick has been improved. I didn’t see anything mentioned about it but I didn’t find the kick very usable in V1 and was hoping it’d be better once updated. Since I can’t get into this until I’m home from vacation next week, can anybody with V2 comment on the kick and if it’s changed? I used to find it hard to get a tight and solid kick without it sounding too sweepy before. The current demos seem to sound more like how I’ve heard it on recordings. Thanks.
I can't get tight kick in V2. It seems the kick sweeps to 0 Hz, so it turns to tremolo at the end of decay phase. I'm not sure how it was in V1 (I mostly used snare and toms).
Toms, snares and clap are very good though.

Steve1974 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 pm I can't get tight kick in V2. It seems the kick sweeps to 0 Hz, so it turns to tremolo at the end of decay phase. I'm not sure how it was in V1 (I mostly used snare and toms).
Toms, snares and clap are very good though.
Thanks, some experimenting to do, I guess.

Reefius wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:57 pm
mcbpete wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:14 pm I'd say shunning a solo developer for them asking for a 5 dollar donation to help them out of financial difficulty reflects worse on you than on Aly.
It's not about the $5, it's about the principle. The guy is literally begging for money with piracy as an excuse. That doesn't work for me.
There are many solo developers whose products got pirated, but I don't see them begging for more money to their loyal customers.
I am not begging anything my man, VProm never got an update for years, the last one will certainly be a stable one for years, so asking $5 for an upgrade won't kill anybody especially for a product with an already low price for what you get and considering my pricing history..., on the other hand what happened last summer freaked me out and it was really 50% less believe it or not.
I am recovering from it and it is unlikely that future updates without major features or changes will cost anything.
So please don't start wining or saying on forums things that would make me look bad because in the end it doesn't work at all, people are judging by the quality of my work and what they get for the money spent.
like it or not I don't care, I am a self made man and say what I want to say :wink:

Return to “Instruments”