Melda 13 look

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

goldglob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:55 am midi_transmission....Just quickly (I don't mean to agree or disagree with points made):
In V13 the overall style can still be changed (carbonium, titanium etc) and you can still muck about with colours etc.
The reason the magnifying glass minus zoom is barely visible is that it's greyed out when you're already max zoomed out (click on the + zoom, then - zoom becomes available).
Hi goldglob, let me answer this.
Sure, the minus magnifying glass in the picture shows that they are disabled. But the almost melting with the background, that's the problem I see. Compare that to how it looked with the V12 theme I posted. They were clearly disabled but still well visible.

Trancit wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:33 am I tried the last rc and quite like it...

One request though: I find the EQ´s curve line still very thick which makes it look a bit clumsy compared to the now much better and more elegant looking thin lines of the analyzer... any chance to get a thinner EQ curve line

Same for the dark black color... is this changeable?

EQ.png
Yes, thinking the same. A lot of lines at least in V12 are very thick. So +1 for thin curves in general. But this was also in the past like this, therefore I don't want to mix it.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:10 pm
goldglob wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:55 am midi_transmission....Just quickly (I don't mean to agree or disagree with points made):
In V13 the overall style can still be changed (carbonium, titanium etc) and you can still muck about with colours etc.
The reason the magnifying glass minus zoom is barely visible is that it's greyed out when you're already max zoomed out (click on the + zoom, then - zoom becomes available).
Hi goldglob, let me answer this.
Sure, the minus magnifying glass in the picture shows that they are disabled. But the almost melting with the background, that's the problem I see. Compare that to how it looked with the V12 theme I posted. They were clearly disabled but still well visible.
I agree.

Let me add one thought to this discussion. As written, I bought melda plugins also because the one V12 skin which is used on most advertised pictures was the first melda look that was ok for me (this one https://www.meldaproduction.com/images/ ... 00.jpg?v=3 ). I always loved the melda approach to plugin design with all the small goodies otherwise.

I don't understand why the existing default skin is not just enhanced. Why a complete new approach for the look which changes seems random at least to me (sorry). It's just another radom skin, I don't see that it makes thing better in general. Some may like it, some may dislike it, but I see no direction were this is headed. The small enhancements could also be applied to the existing one.

For me the result is that the product I liked changed overnight to a product I don't like because of a skin that has some formal problems beside personal taste.

I would wish for a bit more continuity in the look in the future. And not trying to solve the gui related issues by just doing another skin and another skin.

My approach would be: Pick just 2 to 3 skins to cover different needs that can't be unified. Maybe a darker & a brighter one and develop and enhance them carefully over time. Do changes only when you're sure that this change will solve a problem.

And please understand that I don't write all this to rant. I write this because I honestly hope that melda will get past that 'nah I don't like their gui' comments that you can read a lot on the net. The plugins concepts are really awesome and I like it that they take advantage of their digital nature, like AGC, ABCDE switches and advanced metering.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:38 pm Let me add one thought to this discussion. As written, I bought melda plugins also because the one V12 skin which is used on most advertised pictures was the first melda look that was ok for me (this one https://www.meldaproduction.com/images/ ... 00.jpg?v=3 ). I always loved the melda approach to plugin design with all the small goodies otherwise.

I don't understand why the existing default skin is not just enhanced. Why a complete new approach for the look which changes seems random at least to me (sorry). It's just another radom skin, I don't see that it makes thing better in general. Some may like it, some may dislike it, but I see no direction were this is headed. The small enhancements could also be applied to the existing one.

For me the result is that the product I liked changed overnight to a product I don't like because of a skin that has some formal problems beside personal taste.

I would wish for a bit more continuity in the look in the future. And not trying to solve the gui related issues by just doing another skin and another skin.

My approach would be: Pick just 2 to 3 skins to cover different needs that can't be unified. Maybe a darker & a brighter one and develop and enhance them carefully over time. Do changes only when you're sure that this change will solve a problem.

And please understand that I don't write all this to rant. I write this because I honestly hope that melda will get past that 'nah I don't like their gui' comments that you can read a lot on the net. The plugins concepts are really awesome and I like it that they take advantage of their digital nature, like AGC, ABCDE switches and advanced metering.
I can understand that you don't like the default style now, but you can change it. The old style that you preferred is still there. It only takes about 10 sec to change the style and you can freely change the colors if they aren't to your liking. Just because the new style is the default doesn't mean you have to use it.

My criticism stays (as my admiration for melda does too), but fair point Chandlerhimself. When it's really like that and the other theme is still officially supported. My impression was that this default neon skins should be enforced in the future and that other styles are not recommend or must be hacked.
There's a new style (Neon), which is enforced as default style and everything is designed to work well with this style "out of the box". This includes everything from basic components to various graphs and analyzers. Previous style settings are ignored now. If you feel the need to get your style settings back, it is not recommended, but you can hack the engine by going to the user settings folder
https://www.meldaproduction.com/release ... version/13

After all the negative posts I thought I may hate the new look, I love it.

Very clean, great contrast etc.

Thank you very much :-)

Actually the contrast is a lot lower in the bright areas. I think at least the things in the brighter area should be tweaked.

To be constructive I added a list with some visual pain points that I have.

Examples:

Bright meter background vs. the bright surrounding area, too low contrast between these parts. You have generally a very low contrast in the bright areas and a very high contrast in dark areas. That's irritating.
viewtopic.php?p=7347237#p7347237

The white grid on bright background needs to be addressed somehow, such low contrast is irritating for the eye. Completely remove the fine grid and only use some important darker lines. Or make it just better visible in general. I think a darker grid could look better, I would try it.
download/file.php?id=21506

Front on the bright background has a too low contrast compared to the white on black font, look at the db scale.

Knobs. Color difference between the grey used on the knob and for the ring around it to show the value is too low. Make it the same color for consistency or use a real different color/grey tone.

Knob text. The bold white title (dry/wet) seems to sticks out a bit too much compared to the value (41,2%). I would try to balance this a bit. No 100% sure here.

Slider background (look at the HP84 one ). White font on bright grey, too low contrast. I would use a darker color for the slider foreground/background.

Disabled items barley visible. Such low contrast is irritating for the eye, have a look at the minus magnifying glass.

I would think about using a bit darker color tone for the bright background in general. I mean the area at the EQ graph. But especially the background used around the meters.
and
viewtopic.php?p=7347237#p7347237

Cheers

I also like the cleaner look of the Neon theme, but I understand midi_transmission! Yes, you might be able to change the colors, but in the end you cannot change the color of the very bright areas. E.g. the bright EQ area from midi_transmissions screenshot. It is very bright compared to the dark areas of the plugin. You cannot change the bright areas color, though. Or am I missing something? Maybe the contrast could be a bit less here indeed? Maybe I / we just have to get used to it, hehe? ;)

I also liked the sliders or buttons, but I totally got used to the new style, though. I do not miss the sliders or buttons anymore in most situations and I think it's quite good like it is now.

In the end I think it's a good decision from Meldaproduction to make the default look of their plugins more minimalistic. It's the future anyway. ;)
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

The new UI is great !!

but i don't like the Neon theme, too bright with bad contrast.

there is really a nice work on UI, but we need a darker theme with good contrast, i started to tweak colors the render is nicer than with UI 12, but i've never been good in design.
Last edited by drdriller on Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Totally unofficial: ;)
Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/samvP4g.png
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Uh, nice one! :)
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

The MDrummer mixer view in the Metro style is a bit too colourful, so to say.

urrgh, it gets worse with every update, sorry.
I own several Melda bundles but don't even bother installing them anymore sonce some years.
And the new knobs are even worse.

I would simply call upon Melda Production to keep the idea of user flexibility in the fore-front of decision making. :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

That will prolly keep things going smooth, Vojtech!

Return to “MeldaProduction”