VST GUI Scaling on Windows using 4k Monitor

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys
I have some problems with the VST GUI scaling in Windows. My scaling in windows is set to 150% at 4k.
With normal programs i can choose on the *.*.exe if the app uses the windows scaling or not.
Is it possible to do the same for vsts? Some vsts have a strange behavior.
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

don_looney wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:46 pm Hi guys
I have some problems with the VST GUI scaling in Windows. My scaling in windows is set to 150% at 4k.
With normal programs i can choose on the *.*.exe if the app uses the windows scaling or not.
Is it possible to do the same for vsts? Some vsts have a strange behavior.
Which Bitwig version are you on? Before 2.5 Bitwig was scaling every VST according to Windows scaling factor. In 2.5 you have to tick a dedicated checkbox in "plugins" tab in Preferences and then in right-hand browser if you right-click on a plugin you'll be able to choose if Bitwig scales it by itself or leaves it to the plugin.

This is actually the best of both worlds, because for plugins like U-He's or Arturia's you disable the scaling and set the plugin's GUI to whatever size you want (which makes them super sharp & detailed), whereas for older plugins like NI or Waves you leave it up to Bitwig to scale them (which makes them usable, although slightly blurry).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thanks antic for your response. Iam on Bitwig 2.4.3. waiting for the 3.0 beta to get on the upgrade plan again.
So i just have to wait.

THX
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

don_looney wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm Thanks antic for your response. Iam on Bitwig 2.4.3. waiting for the 3.0 beta to get on the upgrade plan again.
So i just have to wait.

THX
What are the issues you're experiencing and with which plugins? Because frankly it was working well for me before 2.5, just that I couldn't use higher-res assets in U-He or Arturia plugins.
Music tech enthusiast

Iam having problems with AudioDamage KombinatTri, but iam in contact with audio damage. Because it scales wrong. The window scales to 150% but not the actual gui. So you cannot use it.

Toneboosters Equalizer 4 - I use it at internal scaling of 160 % but when I save the project and reopen it every instance in my project is scaled to more than 240% which is my hole 4k monitor. I think windows uses the saved window size as 100% and then scales to 150% - which results in 240% by 160%.

But i have no problems with uhe plugins like diva,repro or bazille - avenger works fine too

Here is a picture from audio damage kombinat tri
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oh, I did have some issues with Audio Damage's plugins too. Windows' HiDPI implementation is such a mess, that all DAWs struggle with it :( Perhaps try filing a bug ticket with both AD and Bitwig?

I've no idea about the other plugin, never used it.
Music tech enthusiast

Thanks for the notice. Iam in contact with AudioDamage and Toneboosters. I will check it again in Bitwig 2.5.....but Iam waiting for the 3.0 beta to get on the upgrade train :) Cant wait :D

I'm using Windows 10 Magnifier.
Magnifier can temporarily zoom for plugin.
Shortcut is Windows Key and + Key.

This screenshot is Magnifier zooming 300% in 2560*1440 full screen.
magnifier_2560x1440.JPG
Settings
Magnifier_for_Plugins.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

Example,
Magnifier zooming 100%
example_100%.JPG
VST Mappings for Bitwig
--Bitwig 5/ Live10 Suite/ Maschine/ HP X360 8Core--

hi strovoknights.
thanks for the advice with magnifier, will give it a try.

Return to “Bitwig”