Which companies have user-friendly copy protection schemes ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here? GuDa Audio uses serials.
Good question, I think it's friendly simply if you find that it's easy to use and unproblematic, whatever the system.
Serials usually are simple and reliable.
Personally I use some installer type stuff too, eg. XLN Audio, Propellerheads, which I have found very easy, reliable and unproblematic. But mileage with these may vary !

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:06 pm
davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here?
The question of questions. It will differ from person to person. That's why such lists are so absolutely pointless.
I completely disagree that this is pointless. It's useful just even to know what you're letting yourself in for , whatever your opinion of the particular system in question. Information can never be a bad thing. This is just about having the information accessible.

davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here? GuDa Audio uses serials.
Ah, going to check it out now.

hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
davidguda wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:36 pm What is to be considered friendly here?
The question of questions. It will differ from person to person. That's why such lists are so absolutely pointless.
I completely disagree that this is pointless. It's useful just even to know what you're letting yourself in for , whatever your opinion of the particular system in question. Information can never be a bad thing. This is just about having the information accessible.
Well, it's hardly information, rather opinions stated.

Not to mention that there's already a gazillion of similar threads here. The copy protection is often stated in the KVR product description, by the way. And also on the manufacturers website.

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:36 pm
hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm
Well, it's hardly information, rather opinions stated.

Not to mention that there's already a gazillion of similar threads here. The copy protection is often stated in the KVR product description, by the way. And also on the manufacturers website.
Opinions come into it, as with everything. But there is certainly useful information here.

Worst for me is NI. Get a BSOD whenever I try and install anything through Native Access and support is non-existent. Not happy.

Couple of threads on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=284981&start=30

viewtopic.php?t=442379

viewtopic.php?t=495792

Not to mention the gazillion of other threads you find when you do a search: https://www.google.com/search?q=kvr+cop ... 20&bih=937

sjm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm Worst for me is NI. Get a BSOD whenever I try and install anything through Native Access and support is non-existent. Not happy.
See, that's the thing. It works fine for me, and i also consider it a nice way to install and activate my plugins.

You: Bad! Me: Good!

What's the point? :x

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:15 am I like iLok. Fast, consistent, no issues so far with 4 years use, peace of mind with licenses being separate from computer hardware (I've had issues with on-machine licenses causing lots of time to recover through the various companies), have a 2nd iLok for licenses with more than 1 activations as a backup from the main key. Saves on needing ZDT. It's the access to whole other range of great audio software that is the greatest benefit. :phones:
Yep, same here. Good tip about a 2nd iLok btw. :wink:

Copy protection with serials seems to be friendly, until you switch to another system. Especially when you have a lot of stuff. I've had to pay again for several plug-ins in the past, just because i got a new computer. And i've had to e-mail several other companies just to get stuff working on a new system.
No worries about that when you have an iLok and/or eLicenser. Saves a lot of hassle.
More BPM please

codec_spurt wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 amNative Instruments are kind of bad
Eh, NI's copy protection scheme is far from the worst if you ask me.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

sjm wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:50 pm Worst for me is NI. Get a BSOD whenever I try and install anything through Native Access and support is non-existent. Not happy.
ive never had bsod, but i did for a short time get failures when updating.
i went to "downloads" and found a couple of ni installers half dled, deleted these and smooth sailing.
cant remember the file extension but if eg your reaktor is failing, look for a reaktor file in the downloads folder.

BSOD tends to indicate hardware issue and NA the canary in the coalmine. In any case that's a pretty extreme outcome just from software installation.

xenophobic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 am Yes Oh God Yes I'm tired of plugin developers hiding their copy protection till its too late list away guys i'm taking notes here :)
Glad somebody else is finding this as useful as I am

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:51 pm Couple of threads on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=284981&start=30

viewtopic.php?t=442379

viewtopic.php?t=495792

Not to mention the gazillion of other threads you find when you do a search: https://www.google.com/search?q=kvr+cop ... 20&bih=937
I do know how to Google. But if you read the links you have posted, and take the time to read this thread, you would see there's very little crossover in any of them. Most of the companies listed here don't feature in any of them or they have a different subject.

If you think this thread is 'pointless' as you have stated, then please do not continue to post.
Last edited by hotmitts on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hotmitts wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:25 pm
xenophobic wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:49 am Yes Oh God Yes I'm tired of plugin developers hiding their copy protection till its too late list away guys i'm taking notes here :)
Glad somebody else is finding this as useful as I am
Yes I think it's good thing to point the ones that are problematic.
You mileage may vary but some are notorious for giving more problems that others.

For me Waves is the worst.
And suddenly all my Ilok plugins don't work for no apparent reason. I never had problems with Ilok before but I refrained from buying any besides Blackhole because I knew from other who reported having problems with Ilok that it could be having this problem also. I only have freebies.

So how is that for warning about problematic installation ?
It has high value to me.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Return to “Effects”