Texture by Devious Machines

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Texture

Trying the demo with melodic material...
Is there a way to get Texture to follow chord changes or at least root of chord?
Female patches sound nice, but they all are static note so far.
Also, any way to midi learn the controls/knobs?

pekbro wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:12 am So yeah, turn the mix to 100% wet then solo the sidechain and you should hear it. It might not
sound like much. Seemingly, the side chain is just the original input audio signal. There is
no classic sidechain that you can feed from another track. It's internal and essentially just a
separately filtered version of the incoming signal.

Of course, I say this without RTFM...
I get that the "sidechain" is just a filtered version of the input, but when I click the "Sidechain Listen" button (again, I'm talking about the headphones icon above the sidechain filter, not the solo button next to the gain knob), I get the unfiltered input, and no amount of tweaking the filter or the dry/wet mix changes this.

Anyway, speaking of sidechains, it would be neat to have a second input that could be used as the texture, like others mentioned earlier. This would basically make it the converse of a sidechained gate (in that the role of input and sidechain are reversed), but with the extra functionality that Texture provides. I don't know whether the plugin's existing granular algorithms would be suitable for pitch shifting incoming audio as well as samples stored in memory, but even if not, being able to modulate the cutoff and amplitude of a second "texture" input would still be useful.

Also, is there even a manual to read? I couldn't find one on their website or in any of the installation directories.

^ Hmm, works for me anyway. Maybe drop them a note at support.
*dunno about the manual.

So does it do synthesized noise as well or only samples? And when it says granular does it mean that it granularized samples or the samples are just granular sounding?

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:59 pm ^ Hmm, works for me anyway. Maybe drop them a note at support.
*dunno about the manual.
OK, seems like a legitimate bug. I'll see what support has to say. Buzz is a pretty niche as hosts go, and I wouldn't expect anyone to go out of their way to accommodate this rare use case, but maybe other people are running into the same issue.

Also noticed a couple other bugs related to the sidechain: turning on the sidechain sometimes breaks envelope modulation of pitch, colour and cutoff unless Filter Link is also enabled(wrong about this, I think); and whenever Sidechain Listen is enabled, the Master meter goes up to some crazy high level, like 160+ dB.
Last edited by cthonophonic on Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:13 am So does it do synthesized noise as well or only samples? And when it says granular does it mean that it granularized samples or the samples are just granular sounding?
It has several synthesized sounds (noises, sine tones, and some more complex waveforms that are probably single-cycle wavetables) in addition to the built-in sampled textures. Samples you load are granularized, and you have some control over the resynthesis parameters: grain size; grain density; the range and randomness of the window from which the grains are drawn. The built-in sampled textures don't have quite the same level of control, but it's a very good selection.

Also, is there even a manual to read? I couldn't find one on their website or in any of the installation directories.
Okay, a confession. I haven't uploaded the new manual for v1.5. I'll get it done tomorrow morning.

It'll replace this version:
https://www.deviousmachines.com/manuals ... Manual.pdf

Which covers all the v1.0 features.

Couldn't resist to grab it after check demo, need note was really surprised by zero cpu usage, that really strange, considering amount of included modules. I don't know how you did it lol, but it's good level.

What seemed strange a bit (since i made purchase at PB shop site), that the installer size has a bit different size compare with one from official page (i guess the demo installer it's the same as full ?). Version number the same.
No problem ofcourse, just theoretical interest.

In that mean, frankly to say was couple times annoyed a bit by this specific Pluginboutique nuance, when you don't get license to your official page account, appear some semi-legal feelings. But fortunately, for many other vendors there licenses can be duplicated properly to acc's.

Update notifications are also sketchy through PB sometimes too.

This thing tho..
As predicted, its a standard piece of kit for me now.
Very much feel like I am barely scratching the surface, especially with the update capabilities...
Absolute top shelf sound designer tool, with no compare. :party:
ImageImageImageImage

I'm trying to understand the value of this plugin for an Ableton Suite owner. Is it any different than me having, for example, one track in Ableton of noise that I send MIDI to from another track of, say, a kick drum, so that I get a kick+noise sound each time? And then modulating the noise track with Ableton's LFO or envelopes, adding Ableton's gate, and compressor? Or is there something more cohesive soundwise about using Texture? I'm not as concerned about workflow because the Ableton way is very quick for me.

If you're just using it to layer noise atop drums that are already MIDI triggered, your approach clearly works fine, and you don't need Texture for that. But Texture also functions as an envelope follower that can use a continuous sound source (like a drum loop, prerecorded track or realtime audio input) to modulate the amplitude, filter cutoff and synthesis parameters of the added texture. Of course, assuming Ableton has an envelope follower of its own that can be used to modulate plugin parameters (don't know whether this is the case), you could probably achieve similar things.

Texture's granular features seem like they would be harder to replicate just using MIDI triggers or envelope follower automation. This was where I found Texture rather unique. The engine is relatively simple, but high-quality. I set up some envelope followers in Buzz controlling the parameters of a BTDSys Pulsar resynthesis machine, and the results weren't as good as what I could achieve with Texture. YMMV

I found that plugin can be interesting as instant generator as well (ambient background\foley textures etc), just load sample and disable Envelope section hehe (then you can change it to granular engine, add modulation etc).

That approach especially well suited to Texture because it's a sampler with really zero cpu usage, independently from chosen engine, it's really cool. Though, i would not say that i impressed by his granular engine itself, frankly, (exactly thru compare with plugins that specially designed for granular synthesis), but more than the available capabilities almost not required here, in fact (for those task that i described).
It can be called found good balance between abilities and performance.
Very useful device.

yehboy1 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:16 am I'm not as concerned about workflow because the Ableton way is very quick for me.
Yea ymmv. If you are not doing a lot of this stuff, or not regularly needing all the features this thing has, most daws will do it in a pinch. Ableton and FL make it very easy, and as modular as you like, like you say.
Fwiw, Im using FL and doing a lot of this kind of stuff, but this thing saves me a quadzillion clicks, and tons of cpu cycles.
ImageImageImageImage

$59.00 again. https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4819-Texture. Still seems a bit pricey for Black Friday time, and other plugins will likely get my money.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

It's £46 from DM, but £46.95 at PB ...
I'm tempted BUT it's Black Friday and there are a lot of similar priced plugs I'm interested in. hmmm

Return to “Effects”