Studio One 4.1.4 - V - Reason 10.3 - |Performance Compared|

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually get worse performance with the Maximum setting. And I get dropouts with 130 instances while the Minimum setting runs fine... :shrug:

In Cubase the higher the setting the larger the "background" buffer as far as I know.

EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm Then again I really miss impact xt in Studio One, I'm hopeless.
I feel you. I used to miss Impact XT as well, until I bought an actual Akai MPC Live. :D :party: Now I just my MPC Live running the MPC Software as a VST plugin in Reason. I can't get inspired in Studio One or Reaper.
I don't have the desk for that. Of course you know that key to inspiration.

SPEND, SPEND, SPEND :lol:

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:27 pm Ran the test in Reason with hyperthreading also enabled today at 512 samples, which improved the number of instances up to about 54..
Reason doesn't perform as well with vsti's as some other daw that has been optimizing for years.. Fine.. Now to the real world: How often do you need over 54 instances of Hive? I don't. If it EVER happens, I can bounce stuff that doesn't need midi open.

Conclusion? Your test is waste of time (at least for me).

/end of fanboi rant :oops:
This and this only.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:02 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:27 pm Ran the test in Reason with hyperthreading also enabled today at 512 samples, which improved the number of instances up to about 54..
Reason doesn't perform as well with vsti's as some other daw that has been optimizing for years.. Fine.. Now to the real world: How often do you need over 54 instances of Hive? I don't. If it EVER happens, I can bounce stuff that doesn't need midi open.

Conclusion? Your test is waste of time (at least for me).

/end of fanboi rant :oops:
Well, you said "for me" which simply means it's an opinion. Bottom line is that discussions are a waste of time 90-some percent. But we are discussion/result oriented people so it's normal to have a test like this.

I do agree that I'd likely never use that many of something, although for my own reasons I do have a doodle that uses quite a few (25?) Antidotes. Sometimes it runs, sometimes it gives me the finger :lol:

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm I thought after 60 days you need to buy it.
Reaper? Sure - you're supposed to buy it - but the "demo" works 100% even after 60 days. You just get a nag screen.
I like reaper ok and feel that with that and my nektar I get enough control, but I still work more in Reason.

Then again I really miss impact xt in Studio One, I'm hopeless.
Just do what I do, and own 9 DAWs. (Seriously not suggesting this as a proper idea, but... yeah)

spacepluk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm I actually get worse performance with the Maximum setting. And I get dropouts with 130 instances while the Minimum setting runs fine... :shrug:

In Cubase the higher the setting the larger the "background" buffer as far as I know.
That's pretty weird, what audio interface are you using ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm Then again I really miss impact xt in Studio One, I'm hopeless.
I miss Groove Agent SE from Cubase. :( Best drum VSTi GUI ever.

chk071 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:01 am
Really? I looove Groove agent for its capabilities, but the gui irritates me (like a few other steinberg things do)

ShawnG wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:58 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm
EnochLight wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:48 pm
reggie1979 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm I thought after 60 days you need to buy it.
Reaper? Sure - you're supposed to buy it - but the "demo" works 100% even after 60 days. You just get a nag screen.
I like reaper ok and feel that with that and my nektar I get enough control, but I still work more in Reason.

Then again I really miss impact xt in Studio One, I'm hopeless.
Just do what I do, and own 9 DAWs. (Seriously not suggesting this as a proper idea, but... yeah)

I've done that. I owned reaper for a long time I just never upgraded past 4 (I think it was 4) and now they are nearing 6 it looks like. I'm being a cheapskate and not pulling the trigger on echobode until the demo is over :lol:

If I used reaper a lot, I'd plunk. Other than farting around I just don't really use it.

Guess i'm just a sucker for Steinberg's GUI's. :) Really like them.

ShawnG wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 am
Really? I looove Groove agent for its capabilities, but the gui irritates me (like a few other steinberg things do)
Maybe midi controlling ;) I find that to be the MOST irritating thing with Cubase. Mostly it's ace.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

It's fun to measure these things even though it's a completely unrealistic scenario. I also find that Reason's performance is very impressive taking into account the kind of routing it allows and that it's much harder (impossible?) to implement optimization tricks like in S1 and Cubase.

Just my 2c
It is. When the purpose is pure curiosity, and not simply to dump all over your former DAW...

Interesting that you are getting roughly similar instances in S1 as the OP claims, but way more from Reason than he, at more demanding settings than he claims to be running.

Also pretty surprising with the Cubase results, wouldn’t have thought it.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:28 am
ShawnG wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:10 am
Maybe midi controlling ;) I find that to be the MOST irritating thing with Cubase. Mostly it's ace.
My first “real” DAW was cubase 5 VST (which is not the same as Cubase 5 that came out 10 years ago, this was around 2000-2001 era). And Steinberg has come a Long, Long way in that time to having an interface that can be manipulated by a human being with feelings and independant thought. Any quibbles I have with their interfaces now, are very minor in comparison.

spacepluk wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm Ok, so I repeated the test this time without anything running in the background and using Reason 10.3, Studio One 4.1.4, and Cubase Pro 10.0.20.

Here are my results using a 512 sample buffer on a Razer Blade (late 2016 i7-6700HQ):

Reason 10.3 (hyperthreading on): ~100 instances
Studio One 4.1.4 (Minimum dropout): ~130 instances
Cubase Pro 10.0.20 (ASIO Guard high): ~170 instances

Beyond those numbers I started to hear dropouts in all of them.
Just a quick note that Cubase is only using the 512 sample buffer for live or real-time monitored tracks. For everything else during playback ASIO-Guard is probably running a 1024 or 2048 buffer (especially if set to High), so this puts the others at a disadvantage. Logic does this too, which is a great feature, but kind of promotes the idea that they’re somehow magically more efficient than everything else by a huge margin.

I only run at 64 buffer. I yam what I yam, and that is all that I yam!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”