Trouble using RMS compression to increase loudness of an instrument

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[/quote]
what you say here doesn't really make sense though, a db is a db, whether it's coming from the fader or the compressor.
[/quote]

I think theres a miscommunication going on here, im not talking about a dbfs meter or literally adding gain via compressor or gain knob or fader. im talking about perceived loudness man. the compressor would push down on my sound, i would dial in the same exact makeup gain, in turn making the perceived loudness higher than before.... the peaks would be the same... though the dbfs meter would read the same exact numbers.. This is what i meant by shaving a DB, i meant i could get a louder perceived sound without pumping up the peak meter reading... in turn, saving myself an extra amount of volume pressing into the master limiter way later down the road..

Do ya feel me?

If the sound is already a sausage then RMS or peak compression will give pretty similar results... What's your RMS window?

imrae wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:11 pm If the sound is already a sausage then RMS or peak compression will give pretty similar results... What's your RMS window?
Umm my span plugin has 2 rms numbers, the one on the left says -11.4 and the other one says -11.1, im assuming this is the window and not some short term/long term reading. i honestly dont know i usually just use an lufs meter :/

and also, yes the perceived loudness i gained was only like .5lufs cuz it was already pretty flat

SPAN should let you choose the averaging window in thr settings. But I was asking about the RMS window on the conpressor? This is essential to determine what we expect it to do.

For those who don't know what RMS compressors do, the compressor averages the signal intensity over a time window and uses that to determine the gain-reduction (GR) target depend on threshold, ratio etc.. The attack/release ballistics determine how rapidly the GR moves towards the target. So an RMS window of one sample is exactly equivalent to a simple peak compressor. A very long window of e.g. 1 second will act as a gentle "leveller" and not seem to respond at all to short-term dynamics like transients.

Return to “Production Techniques”