Pulsar 900 Series

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
900 Series Modular Synthesizer

WolfKay wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:56 am The trouble for me is that the preset management is extremely rudimentary.
It really slows down my workflow on this instrument, and prevents me from using it as much as I should.
Yes, this could be better but for me it is O.K.
I anyway mostly save anything as Logic AU patch these days.

Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pmthe saturation in P900 is way better for my taste and more musical as well
Yes it is!
Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pmBut if the developer of P900 would create some blocks i would buy them in a heartbeat.
But also the easy switch from mono/legato/4voices/8voices is great. Also the polyphonic saturation shines here.
Maybe this build still runs in 10 years? Why not....
OK, let's sign a petition to ask the developer to port his plug-in to Reaktor Blocks with front panel patching!
Half-joking here…

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 am The main issue was probably the restriction to Mac OS only. Not that modular soft synths seem to be very popular in general...
Not just Mac OS only... but AU only. So cannot use it in Bitwig on Mac...

Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm Maybe that was part because he also wanted to release it as iOS app and he also used metal for the GUI.
I mean there are a lot great synths but this just is MY sound and the workflow and GUI is much better to work with (and smooth like butter) for me as with any other modular. But most important for me is the sound here. Even with oversampling off it has something organic i do not feel with other synths/modulars. Maybe Reaktor but the saturation in P900 is way better for my taste and more musical as well. Also Reaktor uses much more cpu as well.
But if the developer of P900 would create some blocks i would buy them in a heartbeat.
But also the easy switch from mono/legato/4voices/8voices is great. Also the polyphonic saturation shines here.
Reaktor is a lot more sonically flexible... With the new Racks it is much easier too.

P900 does some sounds exceptionally well, but it does start after a while to have a particular character to it. I often don't want saturation for example.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:14 pm
Cinebient wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:02 pm Maybe that was part because he also wanted to release it as iOS app and he also used metal for the GUI.
I mean there are a lot great synths but this just is MY sound and the workflow and GUI is much better to work with (and smooth like butter) for me as with any other modular. But most important for me is the sound here. Even with oversampling off it has something organic i do not feel with other synths/modulars. Maybe Reaktor but the saturation in P900 is way better for my taste and more musical as well. Also Reaktor uses much more cpu as well.
But if the developer of P900 would create some blocks i would buy them in a heartbeat.
Reaktor is a lot more sonically flexible... With the new Racks it is much easier too.

P900 does some sounds exceptionally well, but it does start after a while to have a particular character to it. I often don't want saturation for example.
Of course P900 sounds good also without saturation (but i guess a bit is always included).
Reaktor is of course much more versatile in theory but i cannot even go as far as with P900 without the cpu gives up. So i cannot use it really as i would like. The GUI is totally not responsive enough for me and really sluggy. Might be on my end only too.
However, i personally can´t get such nice pads, strings and bass out of Reaktor. It could be that i just like the flavor of P900 more. Also with much less modules i can do much more in less time in my case. The sequencer(s) are really so fast and nice to work with. Reaktor has tons of tools but i gave up on using it beside some blocks here and there. No easy switch to polyphony and in general i do not like using it.
That does not mean anything for anyone else of course. Sonically they both are really good. For me way way better than VCV, Softube...and all the others.

pdxindy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 am The main issue was probably the restriction to Mac OS only. Not that modular soft synths seem to be very popular in general...
Not just Mac OS only... but AU only. So cannot use it in Bitwig on Mac...
Not just AU only, but it crashes some hosts. It's the only AU I have that won't run in Hosting AU.

Beside all the problems and bugs (yes, i also have still some) i just love it for slow evolving shimmering pads as well. There is something really i like also in the higher frequencies where most other synths fall off for me. The kind of thing people describe as analog.
It just has such a nice vibrant tone even with a very simple set-up in a minute like here (beside that there is no other synth comes even close for me if you want to make guitar, saxophone, trumpet and similar kind of synth sounds....maybe only some physical modeling tools).
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p900-galaxy-pad

A little live performance with a 3-Layer P900 (but you can do this also with one preset if you like).
Just playing live on my macbook computer keyboard as midi input. So all is coming from modulations inside the synth. But i work to edit the presets for live usage (velocity, aftertouch etc.).
This thing sounds just massive and alive to me (but soundcloud cripples the quality a lot here) even with a simple set-up....
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p900-3-layers

O.k. last one for now with a beat behind it.....
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/daaark

Cinebientastic!! :party: :phones:

I‘m still convinced that u-he should buy the code of Pulsar Modular P900 and take it as core of a Berlin School Modular Monster Synth. It would blow everything else out of the water!

martinjuenke wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:08 pm I‘m still convinced that u-he should buy the code of Pulsar Modular P900 and take it as core of a Berlin School Modular Monster Synth. It would blow everything else out of the water!
+1 It's a shame the code doesn't get more love. But then again, I guess it's complete and stable enough. Those poor windoze users though... For me is some kind of positive in the otherwise negative world of dealing with Apple as a platform for music. :dog: :phones:

Yes, but even the same code in others hand would not be the same maybe.
Apple could buy PulsarModular. I know some people sure even do not like the sound and prefer others but for me i doubt there will be any synth in the next 5-10 years which sounds so nice and organic and is so versatile as well and with such a fluid GUI (for me at least) to work with.
It is indeed what i had hoped for the Berlin Modular.
There must be something in the sound which directly connects to my brain....like certain analog hardware to others. :)
I wished this little module would have been included before he abandoned it.
Also P900 as FX would be my dream. I want this musical saturation and wonderful filters, reverb and delay on other sources :cry: https://www.facebook.com/pulsarmodular/ ... 872024056/

Now i read this whole thread again (yeah, i must be bored :wink: ) and the one in Gearslutz (where the developer was very active, but also not since months now...)
i´m even more amazed that one man did all this (mainly) within a year.
Now the following is of course just MY opinion and MY flavor maybe but for me this thing is such a giant wonderful sweetspot when i play with it and make connections.
The filters, saturation (also reverb especially), all the audio rate stuff is much better than even what i feel with all the other emulations like Repro, The Legend, Oberhausen, the Arturia synths and whatever i tested and own (and funny that almost all the famous filters are included in some form in P900). Even if i switch oversampling to 1X (off) instead of 2X, 4X or 8X it sounds still much better than anything else for me. I would say it just everything sounds very musical. So no apologize for bigger companies (dramatized).
Maybe the developer is a code genius and that he own some hardware and combined different elements of it while also adding own modules and ideas and just the right FX which fits well (which i feel also in the Moog apps and Repro f.e. while i find that other emulations make a bad choice of FX) plays a roll.
Yes, i´m a fanboy of this synth.
So dear developer of P900 if you read this i hope you consider to at least let it run on the next mac updates and/or give the code in good hands or release some modules for other modulars (but i guess this might just work within an own code, idea, environment).
Maybe Moog will do it one day (Model 15 is not there and i hoped they would make also plug-ins for mac/windows).
I will go on to spam this thread here and there with demos and of course still want to share a next bunch of presets (if someone is still interested).
The good thing is there might be not much people using this synth in the future and so i have a unique tool :)
Maybe in 40 years someone makes an emulation...or Behringer makes the hardware for less than the software :clown:
Fanboy post end! :D

pulsarmodular wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:44 pm Here's a bit of fun. I spent some time setting up a P900 patch that gets really close to a favourite preset on my Jupiter 8. Slow PWM.

https://soundcloud.com/stereog/pulsar-9 ... -jupiter-8
That’s really impressive.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”