any future for MacBooks in music production ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:36 pm Do anyone have any experience with Open Labs workstations? They are running PCs. Would like to know about stability of these but I guess it depends on what you install in addition to the well tested software already onboard.

pirates of the caribbean explained
Be a good start if they put the screen the right way up.

Coxy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:39 pm
IncarnateX wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:36 pm Do anyone have any experience with Open Labs workstations? They are running PCs. Would like to know about stability of these but I guess it depends on what you install in addition to the well tested software already onboard.

pirates of the caribbean explained
Be a good start if they put the screen the right way up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, it would be a good start, wouldn't it? :dog: This doesn't bode well for any future "support" from them. But if they're still using Windows XP, I wouldn't expect any support at all, frankly.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

IncarnateX wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 amLucky you, Warren; Ain't such a thing as a Proper Computer in my world, only different platforms piled with crashable crap of which 90-98% is completely irrelevant to me.
It's an interesting perspective because one of the best things we experienced when we moved from hardware to software on stage was the massive improvement in reliability, mostly due the the simplification of everything. When you only have basically two things on stage - a computer and a controller, there's not a lot that can go wrong. OTOH, when I used to have to load samples from SCSI drives, or floppy discs before that, there was always the possibility that they wouldn't work. Then there were dud cables and one time my roadie plugged in the wrong PSU and fried a Zip Drive I needed. On top of that, some of the hardware I've owned over the years was very crash-prone (Ensoniq stuff mostly).

For even more peace of mind, redundancy makes things even less worrisome. e.g. If my laptop falls over for some reason, I have a back-up on my little 8" Windows tablet. It's not very powerful so a lot of parts are pre-rendered but it's more back-up than I ever had in my hardware days, where the only real option was an audio cassette containing all the music for a set.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

DrGonzo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am How bad is this T2 situation?
What it does is somehow interrupt the audio flow when time is resynced by this "timed" daemon

which is IME a nightmare
I wasn't seeming to experience it before Mojave but more and more an occasional interruption I get (more horrorshow than what people been reporting so it could be something yet worse) looks like this is the culprit.
this emphasis on security they've moved strongly to is doing too much if you ask me

Some are saying turning off automatic time sync (incl automatic time zone) in sys preferences helps somewhat.

I already had Location Sync off which may figure into it.

The T2 issue seems really bad, so for live gigs I will have to use my current Macbook Pro as long as those issues are fixed...

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:30 pm The T2 issue seems really bad, so for live gigs I will have to use my current Macbook Pro as long as those issues are fixed...
I don’t think they are going to be fixed. It’s been 9 months now.

This is annoying because my current Mac is on its last legs but I can't buy one with a T2 chip. Do any current models not have it (or decent refurbished)?

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:19 pm This is annoying because my current Mac is on its last legs but I can't buy one with a T2 chip. Do any current models not have it (or decent refurbished)?
In that article linked above a current iMac model without T2 was mentioned.

Thanks - can't really justify an iMac though, don't have room for an extra screen

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:19 pm This is annoying because my current Mac is on its last legs but I can't buy one with a T2 chip. Do any current models not have it (or decent refurbished)?
You have to go back to a 2015 to get a MBP that has none of the T2, keyboard or flexgate flaws. It is unbelievably frustrating.

I first posted about the T2 audio problems with my 2018 MBP (returned) back in January (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=518470). I still haven't bought a new laptop 4 months later. Apple have lost the plot entirely but I still haven't found a Windows/Linux laptop under 3kg that has adequate cooling for use on my lap yet the fast single core performance I need (probably an impossible demand!).

So it seems Apple don't need that tiny share of the laptops-for-audio-market, too bad, I don't have a clue how to proceed...

Nope, it seems pro audio has been cast aside :(

The reports I‘ve read seem to indicate that the T2 chip bug is only relevant for setups with a USB 2.0 audio interface. The system is supposed to accidentally overload the USB with more information than the 2.0 connection can handle. But a USB3.0 or Thunderbolt audio interface should be fine.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”