Random and gibberish preset names

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the deal with having auto-generated preset names? These come off as rather unprofessional and looks like someone just hit the random button and saved the preset. Was there effort put into creating the presets or are they just random?

Only the name is randomly generated.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

If so, then the presets are designed with some aim in mind. In which case they should really be named to indicate what that aim is.

I, for one, am not going to go through presets with arbitrary names trying them out, just in case one provides the sound change that I am looking for.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am If so, then the presets are designed with some aim in mind. In which case they should really be named to indicate what that aim is.

I, for one, am not going to go through presets with arbitrary names trying them out, just in case one provides the sound change that I am looking for.
Haha, open MAutopanMB for example, load some presets, you'll see lots of bands moving, other stuff moving... Good luck finding a descriptive name for that :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Indeed - perhaps we should consider those such-named as intended for creative sound design.
Inspired by ...

Melda has the best preset management, but really lacks in speaking names sometimes. Would be a great help.

just today went through presets and was wondering how all these crazy combined names are being generated.

Random access to a dictionary?

I am not keen on them either, especially the obscene ones. At least in some cases, the preset folder names are meaningful.

The disadvantage is that it is difficult to find one with a particular effect. We may all flip through them while playing a given sound but I bet no-one does that more than once or twice. As a result, many will lay on disk, unused.

But vetting, naming and categorising presets would takes ages. Pick any one and try to give it a meaningful name yourself and you'll see what I mean. And, of course, there is little control over the names given to presets by other users.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm Random access to a dictionary?

I am not keen on them either, especially the obscene ones. At least in some cases, the preset folder names are meaningful.

The disadvantage is that it is difficult to find one with a particular effect. We may all flip through them while playing a given sound but I bet no-one does that more than once or twice. As a result, many will lay on disk, unused.

But vetting, naming and categorising presets would takes ages. Pick any one and try to give it a meaningful name yourself and you'll see what I mean. And, of course, there is little control over the names given to presets by other users.
don't think they are manually made. some type of randomness...just wondered how exactly...never seen any generator of this kind haha!

I think my all time favorite Melda generated preset name was "Saturday Menstruation" or something like that. :lol:

Might a good idea to remove the word menstruation from the word database if it's still in there btw...

pekbro wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm I think my all time favorite Melda generated preset name was "Saturday Menstruation" or something like that. :lol:

Might a good idea to remove the word menstruation from the word database if it's still in there btw...
:D :D Actually I love these things. Sometimes the preset names are so awesome that they make me click on them all the time :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

They're just words, don't let them offend you!...and much better than "Best Wob Bass for 168bpm HyperSynTrance #17". What does that mean anyway?

I'd like to see people preface their preset names with a 3 letter/ number set to ease the sorting...WRZ Best Wob Bass for 168bpm HyperSynTrance #16a

Im never going to be offended, I thought others might not like that is all. Tho I think I am the only one to ever mention that, and I did so only out of amusement. :tu:

The newly-released MCharmReverb is an example of a plug-in where more meaningful preset names would be useful.

It's an algorithmic reverb, not a comb filter. "Large space," "Parking garage," "Small room," "Vocal booth," "Short tail" and other descriptive names are possible. It would give some hint at what the preset creator was shooting at.

As it is, the user will have to go through each one and make notes.

It’s called Czech, people!

Return to “MeldaProduction”