What about MSEG modulator in Bitwig ?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder why they didn't made it already. That would take workflow to the next level and I believe it shouldn't be challenging task for devs.

It has been requested many times :D

Kinda hard to fit it in that small panel...

I think it should fit without a problem and would be very useful indeed.

escapednb wrote:I think it should fit without a problem and would be very useful indeed.
I'm not arguing against the idea... just the OP asked why there isn't one. I suggested that as a possible reason why.

Basically, there already is an MSEG... it is just limited to 4 nodes. But it should be easy to make an 8 stage version. Or make the 4 stage one able to have more nodes as set by the user.

Really, there is not much one could not do right now... the 4 nodes can be automated by other modulators. So you can make complex shapes that are effected by velocity or other parameters.

I think it would be useful to show some case that cannot be done currently.

pdxindy wrote:Kinda hard to fit it in that small panel...
Check how small it is in Sonic's Academy Ana synthesizers(g-env) and how great it works. I would actually prefer it small instead of fullscreen window.

Maykie wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Kinda hard to fit it in that small panel...
Check how small it is in Sonic's Academy Ana synthesizers(g-env) and how great it works. I would actually prefer it small instead of fullscreen window.
How many points can be added to it? And what sort of shapes do you make with it?

I ask because I think generally, Bitwig is aiming for more lower level modules that are then combined to create complex shapes.

For example, the current MSEG modulator, only has 4 points... However, each of their position, value and curve can also be modulated. Which allows for more dynamic and evolving modulations than a standard MSEG which usually cannot be modulated.

Not trying to discourage your suggestion... but I guess that pretty much anything you might use an MSEG with more points for can already be done with the current modulators.

You could use LFOtool for this. It got MIDI CC out. Maybe there are others. I have Polvyerse Gatekeeper with shitloads off (shape) presets. Sad it doesn't have MIDI CC out....

See:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

da10us wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:20 pm You could use LFOtool for this. It got MIDI CC out. Maybe there are others. I have Polvyerse Gatekeeper with shitloads off (shape) presets. Sad it doesn't have MIDI CC out....

See:
You can use Gatekeeper's CV out, and then use the audio rate modulator on any insert you want. so basically it can act as a global envelope.

Krooked wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 10:10 pm You can use Gatekeeper's CV out, and then use the audio rate modulator on any insert you want. so basically it can act as a global envelope.
Brilliant!! Many thanks!

Deep dive into using both LFOTool and Gatekeeper for MSEG modulation of anything in Bitwig. BTW, Gatekeeper is better, as the video explains.
https://youtu.be/SJGJ9wJkSg0

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Ableton Live has a free M4L plugin that almost does this, though that 'depth' knob makes it impossible to blend the effect in so it goes from 'no pumping' to 'fully pumping' like in LFOtool.

Scoox wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:59 pm Ableton Live has a free M4L plugin that almost does this, though that 'depth' knob makes it impossible to blend the effect in so it goes from 'no pumping' to 'fully pumping' like in LFOtool.

You can fix that by putting it in a rack and map Depth and Offset to a macro. Then in the mappning tab set Offset Min to 0% and Max to -100%. That's how I've done it.

Shame that Live's PDC sucks so hard though. One thing Bitwig got right.

I'll check that

Return to “Bitwig”