MModernCompressor Meter

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The makeover of v.13 got me thinking again about a longstanding request/suggestion.

Please make MModernCompressor into the best €50 compressor in the world of plug-ins by giving the user the ability to switch the main panel over to the compression display like on MCompressor:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h_Jn8T ... sp=sharing

That's the short pitch. Here's the longer one.

My two very favorite compressors are MCompressor (for ease of setup and visual feedback) and MModernCompressor (for the detector/sidechain sound and versatility).

Even though I prefer the sound and response of MModernCompressor (psycho-acoustic FTW), I often grab MCompressor because I can set it up in under a minute with that meter.

MModernCompressor doesn't seem to get much love in Meldaland despite how good I think it sounds. I just checked the Preset Exchange and MModernCompressor has 13 presets while MCompressor has 36. MCompressor is part of the mighty Free Bundle, but you have to register to use the Exchange. What does MCompressor have that MModern doesn't? It has the meter (and the custom shape, but that's another story).

I bought MModernCompressor (am I the only one to buy it outside a bundle?) a couple of years ago thinking that it was a feature upgraded version of MCompressor, but it seems like it's not, it's maybe more of a small version of MDynamics.

The dynamics analysis display on MModernCompressor is unique, and useful, but once the user has done the analysis, it has no use in monitoring what the plug-in is doing. It just sits there, static. That big panel is just going to waste, taking up space.

I think there's a place in the Meldaproduction line for a €50 compressor, but at this point, I wouldn't recommend MModernCompressor over registering the Free Bundle and using MCompressor. If it had the meter, heck yeah, in a second. If it had the meter and the custom shape, it would become a not-so-secret weapon, a real steal, and sit just right between MCompressor and the over $100 processors.
Last edited by Starship Krupa on Fri May 10, 2019 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h_Jn8T ... sp=sharing

(can't get the danged embedded image to work, but it's a mockup)

I'm afraid that's really not planned, for ugly simple reason - no dev time, there are just way too many more important things, than programming a transfer curve graph I'm afraid... life isn't perfect... You are actually right, MModernCompressor is more like a small version of MDynamics, with one important thing - the dynamics analysis. Unfortunately it didn't catch that well and so now it is just maintained... And the flagship stuff is MDynamics and MTurboComp.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Slight hijack:
I do not fully understand how to use the dynamic analysis.

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/PAHJnFj.png

Have a look at the left-hand screenshot. I ran a loop though MMC and Analysed the audio. Then I moved the Dynamic Level to the right. About 50% of the audio falls below -34dB, about 10% is above -12 dB and the rest is in between. The Dynamic Range is 22 dB

Q1: Why is the range selected by moving the Dynamic level named the Dynamic Range?

If I move the Dynamic Level a bit to the left, the Dynamic Range increases to 32 dB (-44 to -12 dB).

Q2: So, what does that Dynamic Range value actually tell me?

I then clicked [Auto compression]. The Threshold is set to the bottom of the Dynamic Range (-34 dB) and the Ratio to 1.83 (this is the Dynamic Range / Requested Dynamic Range, 22 / 12 = ~1.83). The compression is then applied as normal to all audio above the Threshold.

The right-hand screenshot shows the output from the first MMC, Analyzed in another instance. There you can see that the overall audio distribution of the audio has decreased.

Q3: Why has the distribution of the audio below the Threshold changed?

Just for devilment, I put the MMC parameter values into MDynamics and ran the audio through both. Oddly, the MDynamics audio output was slightly more compressed:

Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/3odiIeT.png

Q4: any thoughts?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

MeldaProduction wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 pm Unfortunately it didn't catch that well and so now it is just maintained... And the flagship stuff is MDynamics and MTurboComp.
I suspected it wasn't a good seller. I'm the only person I've ever seen on this forum say much about it other than "you should buy MTurboComp or MDynamics instead."

As much as I like it, I admit that I never use its special unique features (the analyzer or the automatic compressor setting wizard) except to try it every once in a while to make sure I still don't find it useful.

That is a big reason that I had some small hope for my feature suggestion, as I think it might be more interesting as "MCompressor Deluxe" than "MDynamics missing a lot of stuff." For people like me who were/are heavy users of MCompressor because we discovered it in the Free Bundle.

I'll tell you why I bought it: a mixing engineer friend of mine came over to give me a lesson in making lead vocals "pop and float," and he requested a compressor plug-in with comprehensive controls and good metering, and when I pulled up MCompressor, he thought it fit the bill perfectly. By the time he was done, I had finally "got" the compressor thing, which was not an easy thing to get.

I looked on Meldaproduction's site and there was only one compressor under $100, and I saw that you had the Madness Sale, so I waited and bought the $50 compressor for $25.

I just think a good solid compressor with the display from MCompressor and the fancy detectors for $50 ($25 on sale!) would be a good thing to have in the lineup. MModern as it is doesn't quite satisfy for someone who wants a workhorse Melda compressor but doesn't have a budget for MTurboCompLE.

I know it's not as sexy as the newer stuff that's a whole new concept, which is why I brought it up now, when Meldaproduction is attending to matters such as the compact GUI.

Maybe even a whole new compressor in the 50 Euro price point that's not called MModern? My wish is that it have all the features of MCompressor (display and custom shape) but add the detectors and EQ of MModernCompressor. Call it MCompressorPlus or MCompressorDeluxe or MSuperCompressor or MUltraCompressor or MCompressorPro?

I really don't understand the graph in MModern Compressor. What does the x-axis represent?
How about the white line? What does it indicate? This graph seems different than most graphs that we commonly see.
I haven't been able to find a dedicated tutorial on this one, and the manual didn't clear it up for me.
But as usual, I'm intrigued.

DarkStar wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 12:08 pm Just for devilment, I put the MMC parameter values into MDynamics and ran the audio through both. Oddly, the MDynamics audio output was slightly more compressed:
Did you also use the same detector settings, in regard to psycho-acoustic et al?

I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't "get" the analyzer.

Right after I first bought MMC, I really wanted to have a go at it, and posted on this forum. Vojtech and another user gave me some in-depth replies, which I saved, but I still didn't grasp how I could apply it to making better compression decisions.

The way I approach setting up a compressor is that for a given source, I start with settings that I know have worked for me in the past, and then I adjust by eye and ear using whatever metering is available in the plug-in. MMC has the same powerful waveform display that all the Melda dynamic processors do, but it's hidden, not visible by default. I only learned about it from someone on the forum. It's awesome, but the realtime feedback that MCompressor's "dancing line" gives me is just the best, especially for rhythmic EDM and similar stuff where I like to have the signal bouncing right across the knee.

There's nothing like that display for me for finding a compressor's "tickle point," as I call it, the point where the peaks are dancing right across the knee and the compressor is simulating the ear's natural compression, adding complexity and interest, all those things that a "modern" or digital compressor is so good at. Just a hint of pump, I guess. I know I've nailed it when my ears start to twitch.

I can kind of find that point by watching the gain reduction meter or setting the other meter to track the input, detector, and output signals, but it's way easier if I just have a meter like MCompressor's. Why is it only on the freebie?

As for MMC's analyzer, it seems oriented toward answering the question "by what percentage do you want to reduce the dynamic range of this track?" and that's not a question that I ever ask. Maybe I should? Does it come up in broadcasting or voice work?

I found the explanation of how MModerncompressor works, and what the graphs mean here: www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... n&start=15
I get the gist a bit more now, and sort of see how it can be used for decision making.
Having said that, I think that all the other compressors let you accomplish the same things,
without delving in to dynamic range,in the exact way, that MModerncompressor does it.
I'm pretty sure that if you're familiar with gain staging, gating, and mixing in general, you're
all set with any Melda compressor for all of your needs.
* The adjustable threshold/level graph in MCompressor is gold...
because you can turn up softer levels AND compress louder levels.
Last edited by sirmonkey on Mon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

After reading Vojtechs statement about mmoderncompressor I’m really disappointed. People bought this plugin because of the automatic features, but if it doesn’t work that great, it feels like a Bluff package. Vojtech should invest time in make it work or stop selling it, cause where is added value towards mcompressor?
For me „intelligent“ (KI) compressor would be part of the mixing revolution.

Hah. It seems that I understood some of it back in 2017
;)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

To me, it seems like MModerncompressor was developed with a certain something in mind, but later advancements exceeded it. I still think that the value of even the free MCompressor (in the free bundle) far exceeds the price you may have paid for MModerncompressor. I have it as part of the Mastering Bundle, so maybe that's easy for me to say. But trust me, you do have your money's worth, one way or the other.
Really, there are very good reasons to be satisfied: I'm very confident the MCompressor will make you happy. You can control your dynamics in very particular ways with it with the custom shape graph. Let me try to show you that in the next post...

As I said back then, the graph in MModernCompressor is really useful for setting the threshold. I really wish we could get this style of graph (histogram) in the other dynamic plugins. I think I will make a proper feature request for this.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

+1...please do, having that graph/information available in the other dynamic processors would be very useful.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

In the graph below of MCompressor, check out how you can gate quiet levels, AND turn up levels below the compression threshold, and of course, attenuate above the threshold. Note: X-axis=input level, Y axis= resulting level (99% chance you get that, but still, there are always newcomers) The black line is a custom shape I picked.
At levels where the black line is below the diagonal white line (lower left corner of the graph), the level is decreased (gating).
Where the black line is above the white line, the level is increased. These are "quiet-ish" to medium levels, let's call them.
At -24db in this example, the level is untouched. And above -24db, the levels are again attenuated, or compressed.
This gives you very, very flexible control of dynamics/dynamic range. And it's actually more intuitive than MModerncompressor, in my opinion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by sirmonkey on Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

See how you can control the dynamics (and thus, dynamic range) in very particular ways? You can even just barely catch peaks at one level, while letting even louder ones through! Just draw the graph, as needed. Also, MCompressor does have the gain reduction meter, which gives you important visual information.

* As far as paid plugins, I would probably go for MDynamicsMB before MModerncompressor.
On a tight budget?
I would try to save $5.00 or $10.00 a week, and wait for it to be on the weekly "Eternal Madness" sale.
It's totally worth it if you can swing it. But in the mean time, MCompressor is still very powerful and versatile. :phones:

Return to “MeldaProduction”