The Grid: Tips and Tricks

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

x.iso wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:06 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:39 pm
x.iso wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 am One thing I would like is for the LFO to have a one-shot mode. The ADSR cannot go very slow.

Steps could use a one shot mode as well...
If you set LFO rate to hold and modulate it's phase, then you can make it kinda one-shot, but at this point when you have to make a one-shot phase generator, would you really need LFO anymore? Well, for additional modulation I guess.
That is not a one shot... it still keeps going and repeats.
If you look closely, the shape repeats because there are 2 consecutive steps in Gates, then goes off just once at 1 separated step. But I get what you mean, you need gate timed to the length of the Phase. There is a Gate length module, but it operates in seconds instead of steps. This is especially frustrating since Clock module have frequency instead of either sync or time, you technically can set up a Phase pulse of certain length and Gate that only gets out one pulse at a given trigger, but it's a royal pain with this inconsistency of timing value types
The Gates will cycle and endlessly repeat. Sure, you can make a long time between repeats but it still repeats. Anyway, I did something similar for my use... it would still be handy to have a one-shot mode on the LFO.

These complex modulations are all fun, but you can't beat doing it in automation when things get complicated. You can make the modulation more expressive and seeing it happening in the track can make it easier to fine tune.

mclstr wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:41 pm These complex modulations are all fun, but you can't beat doing it in automation when things get complicated. You can make the modulation more expressive and seeing it happening in the track can make it easier to fine tune.
There is a value/pleasure in automation... but it is not something you can play in realtime...

hey nobody mentioned to me that almost all the standard modulator in Grid are also can be per-voice based (maybe just the buttons, side-chain ones are the exceptions, even the CC is per-voice based)
and can modulate Grid modules, auch :D

and don't press the alt button above them BWS gonna quite instantly ...
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 6:01 pm hey nobody mentioned to me that almost all the standard modulator in Grid are also can be per-voice based (maybe just the buttons, side-chain ones are the exceptions, even the CC is per-voice based)
and can modulate Grid modules, auch :D

and don't press the alt button above them BWS gonna quite instantly ...
I did mention somewhere in one of those threads that Polynom can now be used in Per-voice mode and apparently a bunch of other modulators as well, I think it was mentioned in changelog briefly. It is a sweet update and one I was just wishing to come as I was waiting for beta.

pdxindy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 am One thing I would like is for the LFO to have a one-shot mode
Even better if we could decide for how many cycles it should loop

Just realised that Spectrometer got multiple input support, not just 2 like scope.
So this in windowed mode is a handy tool to tune EQ's on tracks and see the results. I think I saw similar feature in other DAW (don't remember where, Renoise maybe?), well now it's here. Just sent feedback about making color layers transparent or mixing in a way that they can be seen through.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Description is seen at the picture. First Step is important!
Modulation never more than 100.PNG
Description is seen at the picture. First Step is important!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This is a new one with a little other behavior. In the first one ModDepth is always compressed. In the new one ModDepth is compressed if Para and ModDepth added and this value is higher than 100%.

Is there a way to get Pitch, Gate, Velocity out of The Grid? I was all excited about trying to build a sequencer...

I sure as hell can't find it if it's in there, or a way to do it using external modulators or such.
https://www.reverbnation.com/toddsilva
Ryzen 9 5950x with 64G, i7 5820K with 32G DDR4, networked using AudioGridder, Bitwig, NI, U-he, and Arturia soft synths to name a few
Eurorack system https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/432465

sagetone wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:57 am Is there a way to get Pitch, Gate, Velocity out of The Grid? I was all excited about trying to build a sequencer...

I sure as hell can't find it if it's in there, or a way to do it using external modulators or such.
I'm excited for this as well!
Although, from what others have said here, it won't be in this release.

sagetone wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:57 am Is there a way to get Pitch, Gate, Velocity out of The Grid? I was all excited about trying to build a sequencer...

I guess I've forgot to mention it in this topic. It is possible to do using Replacer device. For single note you could just send triggers directly to audio out (it will generate sharp square gate waves), for more you can employ DC offset device and modulate it from Grid, also putting Main note chain and any additional note chains into Instrument Layer under Grid FX chain. You would want to cut off sound after Replacer, so easiest way I found is to just drop HW FX device with no inputs or outputs selected (by default) in the Generator chain of the Replacer, or if you want multi-note sequencing, then place that device in the Note Layer FX chain.
For generated notes you just attach modulator and apply it to Note value of the Replacer, same method for Velocity.
Also you need to set up custom Transport module in the Grid and make sure to uncheck option for free-running when transport is stopped. See arrows in the screenshot for other things, like cutting off triggers on transport stop (otherwise if you stop on held note, it will go on forever).

Example preset in attachment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckQFd2J-I6o
I would modulate a DC Offset inside the Grid, Audio Rates modulator can see it and they can drive other Macros from any container device which can be assigned to anywhere inside the container
Last edited by xbitz on Fri May 17, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:49 am I would modulate a DC Offset inside the Grid, Audio Rates modulator can see it and they can drive other Macros from any container device which can be assigned to anywhere inside the container
I don't really get it how is it any simpler for note generation and midi parameters sending.
EDIT: or perhaps you mean for blocking audio output from all the DC-offset clickers?

here's 2 channel more complex preset example

Return to “Bitwig”