One Synth Challenge #123: The Qyooo By Full Bucket Music (TheNeverScene Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The qyooo

I'm having a real hard time programming this synth, the ABCD pad is both its unique feature and curse :D Threw away my ambient test since I wasn't happy with it at all, see if I can get something more inspiring out of this beast.

Panorama doesn't seem to work? I'm hard-panning sounds in the filter and they stay in the center. Or am I missing something?

More bugs: synced LFO speed doesn't change if I change tempo in the DAW. Reloading the plugin doesn't help.

I think I'll sit this one out, since I have difficulty finding sounds I like and I'm bumping into bugs when I think I'm starting to get somewhere... see you next month :)

I too started out down a more ambient style route, but found that I could not get the sounds I wanted to hear. So, I have changed tack completely and gone for an interesting merger of two quite diverse styles, but of the same era … the track will be called "Charleston Meets Hot Club" …

Still not getting the piano sound I want. Once I start to get a tail onto the sound it goes all organ on me! The decay/sustain phase seems to make the sound odd. Anyone managed anything like an acoustic piano, or something for me to start from? Would be grateful to see if your starting point is like mine or not!

dB

ilmai wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 pm Panorama doesn't seem to work? I'm hard-panning sounds in the filter and they stay in the center. Or am I missing something?
Without seeing the patch you are using I cannot tell you what is going on... It used to work the last time I fiddled with it.

Cheers Björn

Full Bucket wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:53 am Without seeing the patch you are using I cannot tell you what is going on... It used to work the last time I fiddled with it.
Actually could it be about having filters run in series? I had panning on the first filter in the series, maybe the later filters override panning instead of modifying it?

doctorbob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 pm.... Anyone managed anything like an acoustic piano, or something for me to start from? Would be grateful to see if your starting point is like mine or not!
dB
hi, I have tried this, here is something like electric piano, maybe you can start with this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ilmai wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 am Actually could it be about having filters run in series? I had panning on the first filter in the series, maybe the later filters override panning instead of modifying it?
Yes, makes perfect sense. The filters are "mono components", so panning applies only for filters at the end of the signal chain. This is also stated (a bit hidden, I have to confess) in the manual on page 14:
  • "Filter 1: Stereo panorama (not applicable for Semi-Parallel or Serial filter arrangements)"
  • "Filter 2: Stereo panorama (not applicable for filter arrangements Semi-Parallel4, Semi-Parallel5 and Serial)"
Cheers, Björn

Full Bucket wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:02 am Yes, makes perfect sense. The filters are "mono components", so panning applies only for filters at the end of the signal chain. This is also stated (a bit hidden, I have to confess) in the manual on page 14:
  • "Filter 1: Stereo panorama (not applicable for Semi-Parallel or Serial filter arrangements)"
  • "Filter 2: Stereo panorama (not applicable for filter arrangements Semi-Parallel4, Semi-Parallel5 and Serial)"
Ah, missed that bit in the manual. Could be more clear about that in the UI maybe, disable controls that don't have an effect or something?

basa333 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:29 am
doctorbob wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 pm.... Anyone managed anything like an acoustic piano, or something for me to start from? Would be grateful to see if your starting point is like mine or not!
dB
hi, I have tried this, here is something like electric piano, maybe you can start with this.
Thanks … I'll have a look. From what other have said I will probably need 3 layers for a reasonable piano, and since I already have 3 instances filtered by note for the different parts of a keyboard, that means maybe 9 layers … easy enough to do, just got to get each layer just right …

dB

well, I planed only "approximate" sound, something like this, without layering. with layering it's a musically cosmos :-). qyooo is imho very universal and lovely sounding, but the construction of presets makes this synth.... difficult. but, generally, after founding some presets, I like qyooo and will use it. maybe I learn it (in long future :-)).

Thanks @basa333 - I do have a reasonable piano (didn't want Rhodes type sound which is easy), so I need to refine what I have. It's the sustain and long decay part which is the issue (and for others!), whereby the sound leans more towards an organ, especially with long chords.

Cheers

dB

good luck in piano sound! a big challenge, very true. cheers basa

Man, I haven't checked into this thread since the beginning. Was gonna mention how incredibly Qyooo really is, once you get into it, haha. I've done a bunch of piano like sounds that are neat or the very opposite of neat, but quite amazing, considering. I've also done a whole bunch of curious brass and reed type sounds and really fun drums, I find.
But right now I was goofing around with the filter presets and made this totally current (hate) voice box sound that is just completely authentic, hahaha... anyway, wowsa! Thou must not underestimate the Qyooo!!! 8-)

As for Rhodes type, it's pretty incredible to use the ABCD matrix to just clank in a resonance for the typical rhodes attack! Pretty cool!

Anyway, I will have a track for this one for sure!!! :hyper:

Oh, should probably back this up with a little demo:
https://soundcloud.com/taronium/demoqyoooty/s-WbVcX
Even tossed one piano in as demo. It's all just single instance, no layering of sounds, though, I did split the piano in upper and lower keys, but yeah... FUN! :D

Return to “Instruments”