Hive 2.0 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 pm Uhe deserve every ounce of respect for this update.
So many new features and things to explore, some of the new presets really showcase the new possibilities.
The new function generators open new possibilities :)
Fail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp? Please No and Why?
Are we running out of memory? or is Hives interface philosophy actually fighting against it?
I would hardly call that a "fail", especially with everything else that has been added to Hive.

32 steps would be cool, but if I am in desperate need of a long sequenced line I would use my DAW anyway.

Urs wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:02 pmArpSeq.jpg
:lol:

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:19 pm
Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 pm Uhe deserve every ounce of respect for this update.
So many new features and things to explore, some of the new presets really showcase the new possibilities.
The new function generators open new possibilities :)
Fail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp? Please No and Why?
Are we running out of memory? or is Hives interface philosophy actually fighting against it?
I would hardly call that a "fail", especially with everything else that has been added to Hive.

32 steps would be cool, but if I am in desperate need of a long sequenced line I would use my DAW anyway.
I just get annoyed pissed off with very silly limitations.
16 steps is before Sylenth ...sorry big thumbs down on that.
No one can convince me that any Synth released in 2019 should ever limit its default Arp to just 16 steps.
But we have a sequencer :)

An arp isn't a sequencer.

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:34 pm An arp isn't a sequencer.
I never said it was Straw-man.

"Fail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp?"

Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 pm "Fail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp?"
Yes sorry I shouldn't have ever said that.
But I won't take it back. :D

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 pm
Examigan wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:41 pm "Fail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp?"
Yes sorry I shouldn't have ever said that.
But I won't take it back. :D
No worries. :) It would be cool to have 32 steps..but there's so much more in Hive 2 that I didn't even think of that at all.

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 pmFail: Still only 16 steps in the Arp? Please No and Why?
Yes, why? Why would you even need a sequencer in the plugin when the thing the plugin plugs into is a sequencer? Don't get me wrong, the first presets I go to with any new synth are the ARP and SEQ patches but that's mostly because they are a good way to hear what the instrument has to offer, not because I am too lazy to come up with my own riffs. If I end up using any of those patches, I always turn the instrument's sequencer off and play them from the big sequencer in Cubase.

I'd also point out that the new modulation stuff allows you to create super-long, evolving, generative sequences without having to use the sequencer at all. You can even quantise the values to notes/chords. It is way more flexible and powerful than a step sequencer.
Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pmI just get annoyed pissed off with very silly limitations.
Then you can understand how limited thinking like yours might piss other people off.
No one can convince me that any Synth released in 2019 should ever limit its default Arp to just 16 steps.
An arp has no limitation on the number of steps but, obviously, Urs's little cartoon didn't sink into your (presumably) tiny brain.
But we have a sequencer :)
Yes, as I explained above, it's the thing we load our plugins into. Honestly, on-board sequencers are nothing more than great marketing for factory presets. We end-users shouldn't need them at all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I wasn't a huge fan of Hive 1, to be honest. I got it cause I needed a general purpose low-CPU synth to make my go-to. But I felt a little uninspired.

Hive 2 is not the same for me. It is probably largely in my imagination but the sound is sharper, it feels more like a real professional tool to me that I'm proud to use. You can mock the idea that tools should look good and "feel" go to use, I can't always explain it. Using Hive 2 is enjoyable and I find it to be something I'm proud to put on my tracks. Whereas I always kind of felt a little bit depressed adding Hive 1.

I'm glad to own this synth, I think it has become a classic now.

It's in your imagination, the sound engine did not change at all.

Calandria wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:28 pmI just get annoyed pissed off with very silly limitations.
In most cases, 8 steps are enough. ;)

If you want more variation, retrigger your sequences.....

Rastkovic wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:15 am
In most cases, 8 steps are enough. ;)

If you want more variation, retrigger your sequences.....
And automate the Steps parameter via MIDI!
Always Read the Manual!

Or use ratchets to make up to 32 steps.

Or use the f@cking sequencer you loaded the f#cking plugin into, FFS!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”