MSF Online Preset Exchange—Discuss

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a test I hope someone will check out and reply to me about, here:

I was playing around with layering devices and GPresets in MSF and MPS, with each loaded as an FX module, when it occurred to me that if I sent what I was doing to the Exchange it would no doubt include the device presets for any device loaded into the MSF instance. Indeed, why wouldn't it?

!

So, I chose a device I was planning to upload anyway, but loaded it into an FX-grid instance of MSF, like so:

… and submitted that instead.

The submission's called "RezzoRandoString #1 in FX Module". Please check it out, anyone interested, see if it's got the presets (again, why wouldn't it?) and is also easy to save as a device for loading up in the usual way. Thanks!

And for extra credit, please someone upload some device with presets of your own this way, so I can check out working with it, without wondering if the presets in my test are only showing up because they're already on my system (seems unlikely), or if some other unforeseen issue appears.

Thanks again, in advance:)

Hmmph! Despite no replies to my last post here, still I persist:

I just uploaded my latest discovery to the Exchange, called Scratcher to MGran. It's a doorway into some quite interesting (I think) sampling options already available in MSF, via the MDrummer-based modules. I chose the Scratcher, but the Sampler works as well. (AFAIKTell, the Scratcher does the same thing when the curve is a straight line as when Reset, but also offers other unique features.) And of course the FX I chose could have been anything, but the MGranMB has lots of interesting presets already that work great when mangling samples.

Here's how I have it set up, with the MGran controls popped up, along with its Preset browser:

Don't forget to explore the Custom source, though, where you can access your own samples and loops:

…and be sure to use the Custom Sample Path, and Favorites options for finding your samples, etc.

EDIT: I just tried this upload as it appears in the Exchange Folder, and for some reason it loads with the Arp on and the Sample Source set to Global. I suggest turning the Arp OFF (at first at least), and returning the Source to Factory before exploring Custom.

Hardly any of the presets from Online Exchange have any Preset Information. Let us know who to bug/thank at a minimum!

yellowmix wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:32 am Hardly any of the presets from Online Exchange have any Preset Information. Let us know who to bug/thank at a minimum!
As observed at the start of this thread, the Exchange does NOT capture/include preset info from Devices and that is very unlikely to change no matter who we bug.

And of course Global presets don't HAVE their own presets, so, actually NONE of the files in the MSF Exchange have presets, except (AFAIK) the one I uploaded that was contained inside MSF loaded as an FX module. Instead, they ARE presets. Just like all the EXCHANGE files for any of the modules and/or Melda plugins. They ARE presets, and don't CONTAIN presets. Getting around this is the point of my post about enclosing MSF Devices inside an FX module. Did you try the upload referenced there?

The only other way I know of to share device presets is by zipping the files and attaching them in KVR posts or in any other forum that allows attachments.

Hi David. I will check in some time. Just came back from holidays but will not be right away in studio again :)

Another submission, inspired by a Chandler video on multi-tap delays. Called MultiTap Rhythm Explorer.

It uses the Drum Sampler, so you'll need to have downloaded the 2018 MDrummer sample collection, or use the Custom setting to access your own samples. Or pop in any sort of osc with a snappy envelope…

I've included an Arp set-up that I think works well for automatic MIDI input.

Here's the Delay and other FX tab. The Delay has a small folder of rhythmic presets I designed for this purpose:

And here's the Gen tab, with optional enhancers:

2 other new subs, sounding really good to me: Pauls Distortion, and Filtration Mechanics, each with many modules to hack; thanks!

And now 10 more very sophisticated offerings, from "TT", fascinating studies each—Thank you!

Not quite ready to give up on this apparently not interesting to anybody else thread, but getting pretty close…

So, last ditch effort: herewith another report on an Exchange posting just made. It's called "TBZ Factory loaded in FX Grid" because it's another example of a Device loaded into an instance of MSF that's itself loaded into the FX grid, in an effort to package the Device Presets that come with this post, which is also a Device, not a Global Preset. The device is the "TBZ Factory".

EDIT: Well, this FX Grid work-around turns out to not work after all, so forget all that. The device and D Presets for it are zipped up in an attachment to the last post on this page, below. Sorry!

And here are the Device notes:

Built on the Main Template for its very useful FX selection, this is a variation on some ideas in Chandlerguitar's Physical Modeling video #4, designed espeically for use with the built-in Arp in MSF, or with any other Arp or Seq, so it partly focuses on short to short-ish sounds with lots of controls for adding variety when they are triggered with random or repeated patterns.
It uses all 4 corners of the Modal Filter's Structure parameter, so changing these would be well worth exploring, and it includes presets expressly for exploring such structures.
Since the envelope for these sounds comes from the Drum Synth's length control, and the Modal Filter's Resonance level, the Main Template's full Envelop controls are not included nor needed, except for the Tremolo rate which offers lots of interesting textures, and this is included in the Tinger Tab, along with the EZ Convolver, which is used here more as a tone and filtering device than as a reverb or ambience tool, though it does some of that, too. Short lengths obviously are more percussive, while longer lengths offer bowed and sustained textures, and more scope for the Tremolos (there's one in the Effects tab as well) to work on.
The Color controls target a Bandpass Filter set to respond to velocity.
The semi and cents Pitch knobs are mainly there for external modulation in a DAW, but the cents are also modulatable internally with the Vibrato Depth control, as well as being velocity sensitive.
Arpeggiator controls allow easy speed and note-length adjustments from the easy screen, to match widely varied envelope lengths. The arp can be as useful as a phrase and loop designer as a test-note trigger when tweaking parameters.

I also pasted the code for it over in a thread on that video (which is also there) from Chandler, here:
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=523935&p=7468963#p7468963

…which doesn't include the D Presets either…:(
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Can’t wait to check these out! Thank you for sharing 👍

GusGranite wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:38 am Can’t wait to check these out! Thank you for sharing 👍
Let me know if you have any trouble accessing the Device Presets!

Sorry, my include the D presets trick's not working, so use the attachments (last post this page) instead!
Last edited by David on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nice work David...BUT
Your work (and MSF itself) is far beyond me at this point. I am taking baby steps and trying to fully grasp each module's functions/ limitations/ differences to 'the norm'. And doing so while working 6 12 hour shifts/ week.
Due to my focus/time/approach, I do not have a full grasp of what the Preset and Device differences are as they stand.
I am able to copy and paste your code but the Device Presets are not showing up in any place that I would call expected. (even trying 'Download presets' wherever possible and conducting searches from each level that I can find)
Sorry if this wasn't much help, but I had to give feedback and support because you seem to have more time to explore and experiment and SHARE, so I had to give some feedback and support to keep you from killing a source of information!
Thanks!

^^^
Thanks for the reply, werzel!

I really appreciate your feedback here, all the more considering your schedule—so, whenever you get a chance, of course, let me know if this helps?:)

The Device Presets should be in the browser high-lit in this screenshot (that's my hope, anyway!):

Also, you should be able to download this, and all the other stuff folks have shared via the Exchange for MSF Presets, which maybe will work better than pasting code…?
I don't know, as you're the only one so far responding to my request for feedback. Anyway, you should definitely be checking out the Exchange files if you haven't yet! Start with the top browser, accessed with the button circled in red below, then in the browser that opens, just click on the Download Presets button circled in blue-green below. After a short wait, you'll get a folder added called ONLINE EXCHANGE filled with MANY user-submitted presets, including this one… Good luck, and hope you get a break soon:)

The Device Presets from your first screenshot (reply post) does NOT contain any presets at all. I had tried that one previously and also tried downloading presets to see if that was the solution. (no!)
From the Main Preset menu, downloading to the Exchange has worked fine in the past and continues to do so. Your TBZ can be found there but loading it from that point does not change the lack of Device Presets.
Would submitting the presets at that point (using the +Add button within the Device Presets menu from the first screenshot's Preset Menu) achieve your desired result?
With all of this 'Inception-like approach' I think I need to find a screen capture program!

Hmm, too bad, but many thanks! Seems that work-around trick doesn't work after all. Which is all the more reason to keep this thread alive for anyone who wants to submit Device Presets; weird that this should be SO cumbersome, no?

Here's the Presets file zipped up with the device (see the first post in this thread for where to put these).

Once you've got the Device itself (the .minstrument file) saved to the location mentioned, which you may have to do as a separate step using the Export Device button from Edit view, you should be able to drag the .presets file to the same place. So long as both files have exactly the same name, you won't have to export or import to see the presets when that device is loaded. Of course, you could just drag both the files from the zip there, and skip saving device-exporting the Exchange or code-pasted Preset.

No doubt there's some advantages to all this Preset Preset Preset Preset …complexity, but I haven't stumbled over any yet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “MeldaProduction”