Cakewalk by Bandlab gets ARA 2 support

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Blaster wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:30 pm I love that Cakewalk is free, but I don't really like the workflow with all the ancient Windows menu stuff going on there. Hopefully they will improve the GUI there.
Personally, I think too much is made of cluttered menus. Cubase is cluttered, Reaper is cluttered, but they are powerful DAWs. Sonar is less cluttered than either of those two, and after using it for a few months I found it very easy to use and navigate. I think that in a 30 year old DAW it is too hard and too expensive in man hours to recode all that stuff.

Ok. Well, whatever his motives, finally people have a good free host. :) Anything else which was available before didn't really cut it.

dellboy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:54 pm
Blaster wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:30 pm I love that Cakewalk is free, but I don't really like the workflow with all the ancient Windows menu stuff going on there. Hopefully they will improve the GUI there.
Personally, I think too much is made of cluttered menus. Cubase is cluttered, Reaper is cluttered, but they are powerful DAWs. Sonar is less cluttered than either of those two, and after using it for a few months I found it very easy to use and navigate. I think that in a 30 year old DAW it is too hard and too expensive in man hours to recode all that stuff.
There seems to be a great misunderstanding - Sonar's Skylight interface is as cluttered or un-cluttered as you want it (that's Skylight's main point basically). You have (easy) access to extensive control over what and what is not currently shown on the screen and setting up and switching between different screensets could not be easier.

For this reason the menus are barely required or in the way.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

chk071 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:25 pm So what's the deal with Cakewalk by Bandlab? Can you buy some addons, or features which enhance the basic, free version?
The "basic, free version" is not cut down or limited in any way. In fact, you can think of it as exactly like the previous version, Cakewalk's flagship Sonar, only without the extra bundled VSTs.

Bottom line -- no, there are no "addons" or "feature enhancements" (unless you mean adding your own VSTs, which of course is up to the user).

jens wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 am There seems to be a great misunderstanding - Sonar's Skylight interface is as cluttered or un-cluttered as you want it (that's Skylight's main point basically). You have (easy) access to extensive control over what and what is not currently shown on the screen and setting up and switching between different screensets could not be easier.

For this reason the menus are barely required or in the way.
Yes. It is very flexible.

They should at least charge for support.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”