Great discontinued plugins...and alternatives?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 am
Michael L wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 am
jethrobull wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 amI still have Alchemy and still works great. As for alternatives, probably a lot
What are the alternatives to Alchemy?
Many people consider it to be unique....
Exactly this. It was quite unique at the time. Spectral synthesis, wav import and the soundbanks made it what it was /is.
At the time it was, but now its not that unique anymore. But it had amazing presets wich i think played a role so that people think its still is a very unique. Its great no doubt. But its only nostalgia.
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:34 amI still have Alchemy and still works great. As for alternatives, probably a lot
At the time it was, but now its not that unique anymore.
OK, so what other synths duplicate Alchemy? Some list a similar set of features but I don't hear any that enable the same range and quality of sound.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:11 am
OK, so what other synths duplicate Alchemy? Some list a similar set of features but I don't hear any that enable the same range and quality of sound.
You havent finished quoting me, read till the end, there you will find the answer to your question :)

But maybe first the question at all was unescesery, because i didnt said there are alternatives as alternatives to dublicate, i dont think there is one where you can make exact 1:1 duplicate (as with any digital synth probably that involves more complexity) :)

But you really have choices to make such amazing sounds :)

Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am
You havent finished quoting me, read till the end, there you will find the answer to your question :)
OK I will quote the rest:
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 amExactly this. It was quite unique at the time. Spectral synthesis, wav import and the soundbanks made it what it was /is.
But it had amazing presets wich i think played a role so that people think its still is a very unique. Its great no doubt. But its only nostalgia.
So you think it's no longer unique, but people like me believe its still unique because the presets were amazing for that time, but nowadays that's actually no longer true??? So I am being seduced by sentiment into believing something that is musically untrue? Its an interesting idea. I don't know how to look back at myself that way.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 amBut maybe first the question at all was unescesery, because i didnt said there are alternatives as alternatives to dublicate, i dont think there is one where you can make exact 1:1 duplicate (as with any digital synth probably that involves more complexity) :)But you really have choices to make such amazing sounds :)
OK, so what are the specific synth choices that enable one to make such amazing sounds? I am personally just curious, because I have listened and I don't hear any others. I think there are so many variables that uniqueness is actually the norm.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:57 am
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 am
OK I will quote the rest:
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 amExactly this. It was quite unique at the time. Spectral synthesis, wav import and the soundbanks made it what it was /is.
But it had amazing presets wich i think played a role so that people think its still is a very unique. Its great no doubt. But its only nostalgia.
So you think it's no longer unique, but people like me believe its still unique because the presets were amazing for that time, but nowadays that's actually no longer true??? So I am being seduced by sentiment into believing something that is musically untrue? Its an interesting idea. I don't know how to look back at myself that way.
Elektronisch wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:34 amBut maybe first the question at all was unescesery, because i didnt said there are alternatives as alternatives to dublicate, i dont think there is one where you can make exact 1:1 duplicate (as with any digital synth probably that involves more complexity) :)But you really have choices to make such amazing sounds :)
OK, so what are the specific synth choices that enable one to make such amazing sounds? I am personally just curious, because I have listened and I don't hear any others. I think there are so many variables that uniqueness is actually the norm.
Tell me whats so unique about it and extra ordinary as a synth alone (no sample content) to something like Omnisphere 2, Kontakt 6, Serum, Absynth, Zebra 2, Hive 2, Synthmaster 2, Harmor and many more complex synths.....Sure you can say it has granular synthesis because not every synth has that but so what? its like every sound has to be granular. And dont lie yourself you cant make from scratch same amazing sounding patches for your songs without Alchemy. Think, do some critical thinking.

just my 2 cents.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 5:01 pm No issues with hgf plugins here (in reaper or bitwig)
well...thats good for you. i dont think its daw related...on my system several hgf plugs crash on load with synthedit error msgs. this has been a known issue for years:

viewtopic.php?t=409894&start=45

i really wish someone would update these things...they really have a unique sound to them.
ImageImageImage

Squareheads NORA. Nothing resembles it, no alternatives. My past posts on KVR may indicate that I carry a torch for this plug. That I am neurotically attached. That I lie naked in a dark concrete room crying out for it. Some, or all, of this is true. NORA was sent by God and taken by the Devil. Life has lost its shine.

Yes it still works but I feel the Fear.

The one I really mis is Oatmeal. Although it's still working as a bridged 32bit plugin, it would have been at the top of the game if development had continued. It would be great to have at least a 64bit version now.

Although many commercial plugins are now at least on par and several surpass it immensely, in the freeware realm there's nothing available like it. My current substitute is Surge. It's also very deep and capable but doesn't have harmonics editing or draw-able waveforms. It does have the option to add your own wavetables though, that Oatmeal didn't have.

I still have oatmeal installed (with the Lumina skin, beautiful) because it does have some presets I have yet to recreate on another synth.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

jeffb01 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 am I used to like the Rapture and Dimension Pro (especially Rapture). They were like brothers, but Rapture was a cool synth and Dim Pro was more of a rompler. Then one mac update, it stopped working. I don't recall all the details. It looks like it's not available at all anymore. hmmm.

edit: it looks like it's still available as Rapture Pro from Cakewalk.
I know I'll get flamed for this but I got Kontakt to replace Dimension Pro and I find myself still missing Dimension Pro. I loved the layering and ADSRs.

well, I miss Z3ta+2. I bought it way back in the day, and when Cakewalk changed to a new shop system they transferred all my orders over properly, except that one. I didn't realize this, as I was still using it on my machine for several years, and then when I got a new PC is when I realized that the synth was not on my account. I sent them the email receipt from the original purchase, and they said they didn't recognize it, and then they went belly up. No Z3ta+2 for me anymore. they did transfer the few soundbanks I bought for it, so I can still authorize them, lol. not the greatest synth in the world, but i liked the controls, and arpeggiator, and It was fairly easy for me, not a synth wizard, to program some nice sounds.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:24 am
VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:56 am Personally i miss Albino from Linplug/Rob Papen.
That was the one I thought of immediately as well.
They should update and re-release as Albino 2.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:59 pm Terratec Komplexer. One of the best sounding soft synths.
Ohh... that was a cool one. I remember loading up my old Micro Q sounds (in bloody Sysex format!) in Komplexer and it actually worked! Not perfectly but good enough.

/C
ULTRAWASP wasp deluxe sounds for OMNISPHERE
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Winstontaneous wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm VAZ Modular...I've tried pretty much every software modular on the market, and still haven't found one I like as much. Not a plugin, but I wish AudioMulch was actively updated, too.
Crazy. Just this last week, I was both messing around in AudioMulch (and wishing Ross would update it) and trying to remember the name of VAZ Modular. That was some serious brainwave-sync, brother.

crimsonwarlock wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 pm The one I really mis is Oatmeal. Although it's still working as a bridged 32bit plugin, it would have been at the top of the game if development had continued. It would be great to have at least a 64bit version now.

Although many commercial plugins are now at least on par and several surpass it immensely, in the freeware realm there's nothing available like it. My current substitute is Surge. It's also very deep and capable but doesn't have harmonics editing or draw-able waveforms. It does have the option to add your own wavetables though, that Oatmeal didn't have.

I still have oatmeal installed (with the Lumina skin, beautiful) because it does have some presets I have yet to recreate on another synth.
What's the problem at all using it bridged? It doesn't have huge libraries, so it would not take advantage significantly of going to 64 native... even more because you're on REAPER and it is able to bridge wonderfully?

Just trying to understand...

- Mario

mabian wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:20 pm What's the problem at all using it bridged? It doesn't have huge libraries, so it would not take advantage significantly of going to 64 native... even more because you're on REAPER and it is able to bridge wonderfully?

Just trying to understand...
I don't have a problem.... NOW.... as should be clear from what I wrote. But somewhere in the (not so far) future, 32bit plugins will be something from the past, and with that bridge support will disappear as the DAW devs will use their resources elsewhere. There will be a point in time where supporting 32bit plugins simply doesn't add up anymore. Plugins becoming available in 64bit makes them a lot more future proof.

Oatmeal is a wonderful synthesizer that somewhere in the future will no longer be usable. In the commercial realm the same goes for something like Albino. Yes, you can still use it.... for now. No guaranties for how long that will last.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”