Hive 2.0

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

enCiphered wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm Thanks for taking the time to reply. This would be a killer feature for the sound designers among us.
I've made a few presets for individual slots/assignments I know I'd like to reuse: like Pressure to Filter as one, Pressure to Volume as another. But I'd still end up adjusting the depth on a per-patch basis. Also, anything more complicated may be dependent on other modules. For instance, you can use FG1 Still modulating FG2 to create a delayed FG2 Envelope on release. But you can't just save a modslot preset for that because it's entirely dependent on the setup of the modules above it. So I think individual modslot presets make more sense overall.

What I wouldn't mind, cause I'm lazy, is individual effect slot presets. The FX tab is almost the opposite of the Mod Matrix presets in that you can only save the entire chain currently. I wouldn't mind saving a patch or three for just the reverb, that could be combined with other individual effect presets rather than the whole chain.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm I’m probably going to do a demo of Hive 2 today, but I thought I’d ask users about what they feel are its differentiators from the other big software wavetable synths like Zebra, Serum, Dune 3, Pigments, etc.
It's simpler than any of them to use, but surprisingly flexible while at it.

Well, most of that thread has evolved from before Hive 1.2 was released, then went on after it was released, caught up heat when Hive 2 was announced and finally got relatively tame once Hive 2 came out.

Howard wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:10 pm Killer feature? I'm not convinced. That would be like bundling oscillator, filter and LFO settings together as "multi-panel presets". Doesn't make sense IMHO.
Well, you are talking for everyone out there it seems which is not selfish at all..
Believe me, this isn´t even something big to demand or implement as it is nothing else than another option to save and load specific settings. The same you can do with single modmatrix slots already, but this time for a complete modulation chain.
And while it might not be my job to convince anyone here, it IS a huge time saver having the ability to save and load all the settings at once whenever we need them, instead of tweaking every single parameter again all the time.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:09 pm
enCiphered wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:24 pm Thanks for taking the time to reply. This would be a killer feature for the sound designers among us.
I've made a few presets for individual slots/assignments I know I'd like to reuse: like Pressure to Filter as one, Pressure to Volume as another. But I'd still end up adjusting the depth on a per-patch basis. Also, anything more complicated may be dependent on other modules. For instance, you can use FG1 Still modulating FG2 to create a delayed FG2 Envelope on release. But you can't just save a modslot preset for that because it's entirely dependent on the setup of the modules above it. So I think individual modslot presets make more sense overall.

What I wouldn't mind, cause I'm lazy, is individual effect slot presets. The FX tab is almost the opposite of the Mod Matrix presets in that you can only save the entire chain currently. I wouldn't mind saving a patch or three for just the reverb, that could be combined with other individual effect presets rather than the whole chain.
Thanks, this is a good idea and the only workaround available it seems.

3rd and final video on Hive 2 Modulation!... :)
https://youtu.be/EjnPXwyA0MI

enCiphered wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:37 pmThe same you can do with single modmatrix slots already, but this time for a complete modulation chain.
Putting aside that the phrase "modulation chain" doesn't make sense, as they work in parallel, I don't get why anyone would want to save/load 6 or even 12 mod units at once. Could you give me an example?

(BTW Sorry about any grumps from me this evening - I've got toothache).

I'm not the one asking, but the use-case scenario I can think of is this: I have a Roli Rise and I want to make an MPE patch. Whenever I do, I generally want some consistency. So I may want to start off with a template-ish preset where I've got...

1. Aftertouch controlling volume
2. Ctrl A controlling the filter cutoff
3. Ctrl B to control LFO Depth of Filter Modulation
4. FG2 Env being triggered by FG1 Still (not in the matrix) but then in the matrix: FG2 envelope modulating the reverb mix via velocity.

But even then, I could just save an INIT patch with that setup as another workaround. Or create individual mod matrix presets.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:34 pm I’m probably going to do a demo of Hive 2 today, but I thought I’d ask users about what they feel are its differentiators from the other big software wavetable synths like Zebra, Serum, Dune 3, Pigments, etc.
I wrote something long to answer your question (two full pages just poured out, somehow :hihi: ), but rather than posting that, I though I'd spare everyone's eyes with something short instead. So, I'll simply post my conclusion:

IMO, for the majority of electronic musicians (for whom something as complex as Zebra/Reaktor/etc may be overkill/too complicated/etc, OR if they want to guarantee they get into different territory), Hive may be the best value synth on the market. It sounds great, and it has a broad sonic palette. It is easy and fast to use. It does not lack for power, especially if you learn to utilize its deceptively powerful modulation capabilities to the fullest. And, IMO, it overtly outclasses Serum (which I still enjoy using, anyway :lol: , particularly when needing sharp, clear, aggressive foreground sounds).

@zerocrossing
I would add :

- wavetable script: ultra smooth wavetable interpolation. you can use it as a classic Wt oscillator but when you use it, you forgot about the wt concept, it's more a user customizable oscillator.

- sample and hold, with input and trigger plus a quantizer : generative music.

- function generator with nice options....

- sources modulation: slew, scale, comp....

In conclusion: a lot of "little things", under the hood, make Hive2 pretty unique compare to others wavetable synths.
Best
YY

Whywhy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:34 am @zerocrossing
I would add:
—<snip>--
sources modulation: slew, scale, comp....
—<snip>—
one thing, those aren’t forms of modulation, as i understand it. they are Modifiers of the modulation that is output by the source(s) which modify depth/value range. and but yes they are Awesome to have onboard..withinboard..init

Thanks kids. I’ll try to get a demo on later today. I was shooting for yesterday, but things went kerfluy.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:32 pmkerfluy
:lol: :lol:

snigelx wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:16 pm
Whywhy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:34 am @zerocrossing
I would add:
—<snip>--
sources modulation: slew, scale, comp....
—<snip>—
one thing, those aren’t forms of modulation, as i understand it. they are Modifiers of the modulation that is output by the source(s) which modify depth/value range. and but yes they are Awesome to have onboard..withinboard..init
Right !
Best
YY

Return to “u-he”