Slate All Access

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like I stated, I have the reasons why it's kosher for me. If someone doesn't like it, cool. But I see this "divide" like "analog vs digital" or "mac vs PC" and it doesn't seem rational to me considering what we know.

Don't want it? Awesome. Don't get it, but at least "try" understand why those of us who like it do.

Just the messenger, no need to shoot............

Subscription models are really a terrible example for the future (unless if it is rent to own), while people keep accepting these methods, future will be very dark indeed...

The user will be dependent of companies and the product we pay for will be not ours anymore, all is about subscriptions... is the new deal... that's really bad.

I'm not saying with this that all companies tend to do this, but some has done this and is really bad, is unacceptable.

I can't agree. My number speak for themselves...........

In the end, it's fine that we don't. One person thinks one way, the other does not. It's SOFTWARE, you can either use it or don't. It's not anything to get overly excited about.............

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 am It's SOFTWARE, you can either use it or don't. It's not anything to get overly excited about.............
Well that "software" might do more and things that hardware conterpart will never achieve if not in almost ludicrous situations.

That's why even the synth I buy will have a bigger value than any piece of hardware, no matter what it is, if I get a moog or other "very analog" synth, I would sell it and would get the software all time and some mastering and effects bundle because the possibilities are always bigger.

So is not about what price is being sold, even from 50 to 300, always will have a bigger value for me. But I respect your point of view, we just think different.

Agreed, and that is fine. It's not a big.

Thought it was interesting when I first saw it. Interesting in the sense of the partnerships mostly. I think it's really attractive to new people wanting to learn stuff and can follow along with all the plugins being used. Outside of that not crazy about the subscription model.

JunSev wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 am Subscription models are really a terrible example for the future (unless if it is rent to own), while people keep accepting these methods, future will be very dark indeed...
+1
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

JunSev wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:39 am Subscription models are really a terrible example for the future (unless if it is rent to own), while people keep accepting these methods, future will be very dark indeed...

The user will be dependent of companies and the product we pay for will be not ours anymore, all is about subscriptions... is the new deal... that's really bad.

I'm not saying with this that all companies tend to do this, but some has done this and is really bad, is unacceptable.
I can agree in that the increasing trend with subscriptions is a bit worrying. If the only way to get access to a plug-in is by renting it year after year - even up until a point when one start to pay more then what it would have cost to buy it.

That's no fun.

However the possibility to rent a plug-in for a limited time is perfectly fine. It's no different from renting a synth, or any gear, for the time of a production.

Subscriptions as a way of installment is also ok. IMO it would be nicer if customers where offered it as an alternative rather then as the only option.

And so, I wouldn't rule out subscriptions in general. It comes down to how it's set up.

reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am I'd just like to understand why people are against them so much. Financially, they make great sense.

Even on sale, you can't get much for 150 bones. With this you get everything and if you added it up 10 years (which surely there will be better options then) it's only 1500 bucks, which is a small price to pay.......IF you use them. I use them regularly so it's worth it here.

To each their own, but the prejudice of hate against subs seems so irrational to me.
The problem with this is that you presume I want or need all that stuff. There's usually couple of plugins I would even care about from any developer. Adding more useless bloat to subscription does not raise its value.

And that's a problem in general with subscription stuff. In the long term you have wasted your money and got nothing.
No signature here!

The good subs (including slate afaik, and Roland, cakewalk when they were going, etc) do have some rent-to-own features... in some ways, you can look at slate as eg ‘buy VBC, get access to the other plugins for a year for (almost?) free.’, I know we all get them in the marketplace :) but at normal even sale prices that isn’t far off. As long as they stay that way...

The companies that offer rent to own got it right, I suggest looking into that, if money will be important to you in the future.

One issue for me is that I have many old projects that I for various reason revisit, and i like fact that I always have the plugins I used at the time. This would not be the case if I ended the subscription. I even keep older versions of current plugins for this reason. It has saves the days countless times already.

ictools wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:25 pm The companies that offer rent to own got it right, I suggest looking into that, if money will be important to you in the future.
+1
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

robotmonkey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:31 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:28 am I'd just like to understand why people are against them so much. Financially, they make great sense.

Even on sale, you can't get much for 150 bones. With this you get everything and if you added it up 10 years (which surely there will be better options then) it's only 1500 bucks, which is a small price to pay.......IF you use them. I use them regularly so it's worth it here.

To each their own, but the prejudice of hate against subs seems so irrational to me.
The problem with this is that you presume I want or need all that stuff. There's usually couple of plugins I would even care about from any developer. Adding more useless bloat to subscription does not raise its value.

And that's a problem in general with subscription stuff. In the long term you have wasted your money and got nothing.
I'm not presuming anything :shrug: I'm just saying that it's a good deal for those who want it :)

The Kilohearts stuff is mostly a bunch of stuff I don't need or want after a play. They are nice but most of it is redundant for me (but I have Reason with a bunch of that kinda stuff so.....)

The synth sounds lovely. But I already have lovely synths :shrug:

Not complaining, just saying that it feels more like "shit added on because we can" than something really useful (like the gates in VMR)

Return to “Effects”