Advice on direction of synths

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the past I primarily used Synth1 because it was free and had a great number of presets. I figured as I got back into music making I'd invest in a more quality synth vst.

I researched the usual such as massive, serum, omnisphere, et al. I assumed that these paid products would have much better quality sounding presets. But the more and more I researched I was coming to the conclusion that the cost (and high recommendations) seemed to be more for the many options in making or tweaking sounds, and not necessarily in more robust quality presets.

At this point making sounds and tweaking sounds is not my thing. I've now figured I want a synth with a good number of quality presets for Pop and Alternative music type stuff. Should I just stick with gathering a great number of presets for Synth1, or do the paid synth VSTs have better quality presets and I should go with one of those?

On the secondhand market you can find an unregistered AnalogLab Lite for about $8-$9. Then Arturia will offer you an upgrade to the full version of AnalogLab for around $28. Once you download the free sounds from their community, it has about 7500+ presets. All for less than $40.

Editing is limited to minor tweaks without jumping into their full boat collection though. Sounds like it will fit your bill though.

I’ve never owned Nexus but, that is basically a preset monster. Air Instrument’s Xpand 2 is actually pretty good, and can sometimes be found for a dollar. It’s definitely worth a dollar and has a ridiculous amount of presets too. Think of Xpand 2 as Nexus Lite. I think Initial Audio’s Sektor is only $15 on one site or another. The Synthmasters can occasionally be had for cheap too. They are tweakable, but come with a ton of presets too. I think the best thing is to check the Bargains thread (Sell & Buy Forum) about once a week (Fridays are best) for stuff that goes on sale, and then do a little homework

Synth1 is not the best synth to use BUT it is a good synth engine for what it does - which is fairly broad. If you can do all you need with it then don't stress yourself over buying anything else.

https://youtu.be/YHwAK1b6zFY

The money you save you can put towards a Record Producer or Sound Designer.

:-)

Sylenth via rent to own, 9.99/month abd you'll have endless supplies of presets..

If you're looking for the FM sort of pop sounds, get a DX7 emulation (like the free Dexed), and track down the dexed-cart or DX7 "all the web" preset archives. Tens of thousands of presets...

Also, for that matter, there's a Synth1 pack (think the links are available at the bottom of this article: https://www.techno-addicts.com/uncatego ... -1-presets) with similar preset magnitude, if you just want to use the synth you know and expand it with thousands of presets instead.

That being said, I would also echo the Analog Lab recommendation. Tons of great presets playing on some phenomenal-sounding synth engines...

thanks all. Learned alot from this. It wasn't necessarily the cost I was concerned about as I was all ready to get Massive, Serum, or Nexus (though Kontakt or Omnisphere at over 400 seemed like too much for a synth noob) but whether what I was paying for was any better than some free VSTs when it came to quality of presets. I did very much like the DX7 sound idea and got Dexed and that has over 1000 presents off the bat that i've found to have quite a few good ones I like.

If you search for quality presets with low cpu usage, you can also check Rob Papen Blue2 or Predator2. These have so many presets, that almost no 3rd party presets can be found.
My other suggestions: Zebra2, Hive2, Synthmaster2, Imposcar2 , Sylenth1.

Hello there,

Maybe not what your looking for in terms of the kind of music you want to be making but this is one of my favourite FREE synths EVER. I use this all the time, some great presets too.

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-noisemaker

Rob

Check out Surge : https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio
Lots of patches and a wide spectra of sounds.

Saffran wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:22 pm Check out Surge : https://www.kvraudio.com/product/surge-by-vember-audio
Lots of patches and a wide spectra of sounds.
Yep. Definitely check out Surge. Thousands of presets. For direct use, tweaking or inspiration.

It's a very versatile synth. Currently the most versatile polyphonic synth in the free domain. Great and versatile oscillators (including samples/wavetables). E. g Waveshaping, AM, sync and FM options. Loads of modulation options. All this gives it many sound design options. There is not much it can really not do.

It used to be paid, but is now free and in the hands of an active open-source development community.
https://surge-synthesizer.github.io

Tip: check out the actual added value for your goals BEFORE spending money on commercial synths (or presets).

That said: commercial synths like Omnisphere, Serum, Fathom Pro, Spire, Loom can all bring a lot of added value. Some because of their general quality and versatility, some because they are very good at something specific. And most well known and/or popular synth come with many factory and free and commercial presets.

So...do your research and choose wisely...

And maybe spent some time on how to program/tweak your own synths/sounds. In the end this will save you time and money. Some backgrond knowledge will point you to the direction of what synth/tool/feature/technique to use/look for, to get your sounds just right for you.

At least check out:

Simon Cann - How to make a noise
viewtopic.php?t=76293

I recently downloaded Tunefish and was pleasantly surprised.
(Another free one.)
And also Fathom mono is free, and the upgrade to polyphonic is very inexpensive ($32?)

It's not about the number of default presets, it's about sound quality / uniqueness / character of the synth and also how enjoyable it is to play with, and how many possibilities you have. Take Serum for example, endless wavetable possibilities, some shortcuts etc, a lot of filters, but it could be more enjoyable to play with, have more functions, a better workflow, etc. And some synths have special default wavetables that could sound better to you, but less possibilities. Some have better built-in effects, a better engine, or have different functions, a different workflow. Omnisphere is more about the amount of samples that comes with it, and it comes at a price.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”