New wavetable synth - Sektor by Initial Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sektor

I recently had to contact Initial Audio support with an installation issue on another of their products, and they were extremely quick, even over a weekend, in getting back to me and getting the issue resolved. That definitely makes me much more positively inclined towards dropping $15 on what by most accounts is, at a minimum, a sold synth. (I'm still confused about the MPE situation, but don't use MPE myself and don't know enough to really have an opinion on that issue.)

Hm, how much wavetable synth do I own :
I I I I I I I
I think I skip this promo.

Thanks for letting us know, valuable information.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

dune_rave wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm Hm, how much wavetable synth do I own :
I I I I I I I
How many of those synths also have a sample oscillator? Just looking at it as a "wavetable synth" makes no sense to me. You buy a synth for the sounds it makes, not for how it makes its sounds, and Sektor makes some very nice sounds.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:56 pm
dune_rave wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm Hm, how much wavetable synth do I own :
I I I I I I I
How many of those synths also have a sample oscillator? Just looking at it as a "wavetable synth" makes no sense to me. You buy a synth for the sounds it makes, not for how it makes its sounds, and Sektor makes some very nice sounds.
two of them have samples, so i won't change my mind :)

BONES wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 am
yellowmix wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:15 amAnother thing I want to add. Going through the patches, there were several impressive ones. But then I realized the bulk of the sound was coming from the sample oscillator. I haven't listened to the demos but I'd be wary of judging the synth that way since it could be a sample-based patch. If it's got an acoustic instrument sound like orchestral strings, brass, or piano, it's likely sampled.
Why is that a problem? It sounds like a grand idea to me, like what Equator does.
Didn't say it was a problem, that it was something to be aware of when evaluating for sound design purposes. If you're looking to make similar patches you'd need to record samples of said instrument, secure intellectual property rights, etc.. Much different than synthesizing it from scratch.

What? Why? It does come with those sample included, no need to sample anything yourself. And even if you did, why would you need to get any clearances?
dune_rave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:33 amtwo of them have samples, so i won't change my mind :)
That's the way, pick the largely unimportant point and completely ignore the more important one. That's the way to learn and grow.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:47 am What? Why? It does come with those sample included, no need to sample anything yourself. And even if you did, why would you need to get any clearances?
The samples were more or less naked, I demoed it ages ago so maybe things are different, but getting different flavors of an instrument or similar instruments (e.g., violin is included but you want a viola) would require acquiring samples somehow, as opposed to tweaking some synth parameters. Whether you record it yourself or license it from some other legal entity, I don't think I need to explain that further.

If you want a viola, and here's something you probably haven't thought of before, you use a different synth. Your point only makes sense in a world where Sektor is the only synth you have. Nobody needs every instrument in ther arsenal to be capable of every sound imaginable. Sektor is a good synth with a solid sound and it definitely has it's uses. That it's quick and easy to work with makes it something I reach for first, rather than after I've exhausted all my other possibilities.

You do not have to license anything you sample from an instrument. If you did, everything you recorded and released would require clearances for every single sound you used.
Last edited by BONES on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

I realized there can be one damn reason for me to get this synth:
If this includes a wavetable editor, then I can create my wavetables from scratch, and I can -if i want it - export the wavetable to use with other synths.
None of my other wavetable synths have an editor.
But I'm afraid this thing don't have such thing. I will see it in the manual soon...

Very similar to Serum. Great price on sale if you don't have something similar already. Quite nice interface and workflow. Pretty harsh sound, clips very easily - not impressed by the presets at all but they might just not be my cup of tea. Wondering if anyone else is using this in Renoise? It seems to have a lot of display issues/glitches. Promising synth though, definitely capable, but doing nothing to stand out from the crowd at all.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:13 am Your point only makes sense in a world where Sektor is the only synth you have.
Again, I was informing people of what the synth is capable of. I don't know their life, and neither do you.
You do not have to license anything you sample from an instrument. If you did, everything you recorded and released would require clearances for every single sound you used.
I did not say you have to license something you record. Read what I wrote. Record it yourself OR license it. I feel odd having to explain basic English language structure here. What are you trying to do?

No, this is what you said - "you'd need to record samples of said instrument, secure intellectual property rights, etc. There is no "or" in there.
yellowmix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 amAgain, I was informing people of what the synth is capable of. I don't know their life, and neither do you.
I don't need to know people, I just need to know that pretty much every DAW anyone can get their hands on comes with at least one instrument for them to use. OTOH, your comment makes the assumption that people would prefer to program sounds from scratch, rather than use samples, which is pretty much doing exactly what you are attempting to imply I was doing.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:44 pm No, this is what you said - "you'd need to record samples of said instrument, secure intellectual property rights, etc. There is no "or" in there.
Right, there's no explicit "or", it's a list that ends with an "etc." because I don't know how anyone is going to go about getting those samples, if they're going to construct their own cello or whatever. Your response indicated a misinterpretation so I clarified the explicit "or" in the next message, which you ignored for some reason. If you want to continue nitpicking past, clarified sentence structure in a casual conversation I'm not really interested.
BONES wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:44 pm
yellowmix wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 amAgain, I was informing people of what the synth is capable of. I don't know their life, and neither do you.
I don't need to know people, I just need to know that pretty much every DAW anyone can get their hands on comes with at least one instrument for them to use. OTOH, your comment makes the assumption that people would prefer to program sounds from scratch, rather than use samples, which is pretty much doing exactly what you are attempting to imply I was doing.
Okay, so we're back to square one. There is an informative comment that does not apply to you, does not harm you, does not harm anyone, yet you are taking umbrage at it for some reason.

You need to learn how to express yourself correctly. When you use a comma in that context, it is in place of "and", not "or" unless you specify it by using "or" between the last two items in the list. It's one of those conventions that's not up for debate.

Return to “Instruments”