Unfiltered audio Triad

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thelizard wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:32 pm Triad 1.0.1 Public Beta is here.

In this build:
-Right-clicking the "Add Modulator" or "Add Effects" button will now bring up a menu instead of adding a default.
This doesn't work for me, it still behaves like in v1.0 where the widener is added by default (cubase 10 win).

Wide mode would be awesome!

Feature request:
Another thing I´d like in a future update is more visualization on some of the modules, like the LFO:s and the compressor.

The GR meter on the compressors is tiny, t would at least be great with a read-out (tool tip?) or a slightly wider meter.

I noticed that the 3-band versions doesn't have a post slot, is this to preserve the height in the GUI?
It would be a great addition though. I would personally prefer the post slot was moved to the right if we get a wider version though (say under the mix/out gain section).

Looking forward to the next build

I trialed this for about 3 minutes, then I decided to sell byome and opt out of triad too. Im sure its great sounding but personally do feel that the ui is a bit too hard to get into. I may have to bite the bullet and get into multipass instead but will probably try the bluecat route first so i can use my existing fx. Im a major fan of SpecOps that one is staying in my plugin folder, but i havent found myself reaching for byome since i got it.

I trialed for 3 minutes and knew I had to have this. Even though I’m somewhat bewildered by the choice to have the GUI run from left to right. Terrible idea! Sideways scrolling sucks at the best of times.

The ability to collapse effect units only adds to the chaos because that also constantly reshuffles the other units left or right so you don’t get any motor memory for it either.

Wouldn’t it be much more logical and intuitive to have the effect chains run from top to bottom? That way it matches up with the frequency window above it as well. You’d be able to have much more effect units visible in full size. Collapsing them would get less confusing. You could just scroll up and down with mousewheel or touch.

To my mind it seems just a really odd (read: bad) design. Especially because with the frequency analyzer/splitter at the top, the top down logic is already pretty much there. It would allow for a much cleaner, much less cluttered design with a better overview and much less frustrating to navigate.

If you take the width of the spectrum analyzer for this, you’d have plenty of room on the sides to even add things like toolbars for direct access to effect modules (on the left) and modulators (on the right). They’re already color coded, so with some clever icons for each you could make that super readable. Show the same icon on the modules when they’re collapsed and even a patch with 50 collapsed modules would be navigable. And you wouldn’t have to navigate a right click menu to add new ones.

This would also open up much more possibilities to work on multiple units at once. Now you can only swap chains from low to mid to high and back. With a top down grid you could essentially make it like a spreadsheet and move any number of units anywhere.

I really don’t see any reason why this sidescrolling setup is better? Even if you add a resizable GUI, it’s always gonna look cluttered, uneven and somewhat illogical.

Edit: it’s really just GUI, love the effect itself!

How about the ability to have both?

You mean up/down or left/right? Great, options are always good.

So you'd rather have the modules go from top to down with vertical scrolling, compared to horizontal scrolling? Do you also shoot video on your cellphone in portrait mode on your cellphone? :hihi:

Monitors are wider than they are tall. Therefore, it makes a lot more sense for the GUI to go from left to right as it currently does. It makes better use of the dimensions of the screen than a vertical implementation would. When the widescreen mode finally gets added (hopefully soon), I think there will be a lot less scrolling too, which I agree, is not fun.

I dunno, that's just my take. I'd much rather have a wide-mode and maybe even an additional ultra-wide mode (screen resolution here is 2560x1080 so plenty wide) over a vertical mode. Would make much better use of the space and result in less scrolling with more visible at once IMO.

I think the advantage for vertical scrolling top/down is you can intuitively use your mouse wheel to do that.
For horizontally scrolling I always need to grab the scroll bar. That's one of the things which make it cumbersome.
There are some quite effective implementations of that available (Reason Rack, Arturia Modular, Voltage Modular etc.)

Yes, I'd hope they make the horizontal width setting customizable. Youlean has a very good implementation of that, and he also uses JUCE. So it's possible, even on VST2.

lwj wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:06 amWouldn’t it be much more logical and intuitive to have the effect chains run from top to bottom? That way it matches up with the frequency window above it as well.
Exactly. Kilohearts Multipass does this so well. The GUI was why I sold Triad (and BYOME before). Each time I think, "I'll give the GUI another try" I'm disappointed.

What might be cool, and I don't know if this is possible, is if scroll wheel commands could be converted by the plugin to horizontal scrolling. But then again, some people love using scroll wheel to modify parameters and may not like it.

But again, I'm much more interested in seeing how much usability improves via a widescreen (and hopefully ultra-wide) mode. It may negate, or certainly mitigate the need for much of the scrolling in the first place, which is the better solution. Why deal with a band-aid (make it vertical because horizontal scrolling sucks) when you can solve the root cause problem (eliminate the need to scroll horizontally entirely).

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:05 pm But then again, some people love using scroll wheel to modify parameters and may not like it.
Oh crap, that's me.. so maybe make it some button + mouse wheel scrolls the entire pane. Or just work when you're hovering the scrollbar, that last one would work for horizontal scroll as well.

Or the fx can pop out like The Mask heart in movie

The left-to right modulation section at the bottom is consistent with other Unfiltered Audio plugins. I think that really drives the whole design.

Win7x64
Bitwig 2.5
i5 2400
20gb Ram
onboard grafics
Triad panel open
The average bored guy

Like with all UA plugs there's a lot of features and settings, but it's not very musically designed. A plugin like Echobode is meticulously crafted to offer tons of variation with very few controls. Triad is like a nightmare when it comes to UX. Just hurts to navigate it and so many unnecessary parameters. I'm sure lots of people love having loads of control and options, but it's not for me.

fceramic wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm Like with all UA plugs there's a lot of features and settings, but it's not very musically designed. A plugin like Echobode is meticulously crafted to offer tons of variation with very few controls. Triad is like a nightmare when it comes to UX. Just hurts to navigate it and so many unnecessary parameters. I'm sure lots of people love having loads of control and options, but it's not for me.
Respectfully, I don't think comparing Echobode vs Tiad is fair, although the overall point is understood. Echobode *is* as described, and its great to have great sound / few control tools like that in the arsenal.

That said, BYOME / Triad are both modular beasts. The inherent complexity / extra parameters come with the territory.

Return to “Effects”