discoDSP Synths

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reefius wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 am They're not huge sample libraries. Synths usually are only a few MB in size and I don't think there are thousands of downloads a day on his site.
Links to the demo's are freely available so there is no reason (except pure greed) not to provide free download links in the customer area.
You can read the "reason" over there in his censored forum: He said that he installed it because of "countless cases of abuse and taking advantage of this system." :roll:

Must be a super cloud thingy with never seen before protecion against abuse. Now that makes sense. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

So a customer re-downloading the plugins he paid for is abuse? Does his hosting run on a 64k modem or so? :lol:

All the bashing aside, is it just me or Discovery Pro sounds mediocre at best? There are softsynths that sound 10x better than that. I personally don’t think it will have a place in the softsynth world in 2020. May be just forget about the updates and move on?

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 pm What i just don't get about this thing is the cloud subscription thing. Not that i know much about this stuff... but... are the costs for download servers that high?
There's webspace with 50 GB of storage and a download "flatrate" that costs less than 3€ per month. So I don't think that the costs for downloads are the real problem.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Yeah, i guessed so.

mladi wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:59 am You can read the "reason" over there in his censored forum: He said that he installed it because of "countless cases of abuse and taking advantage of this system." :roll:
To be fair and as a customer of most of the discoDSP plugins I can totally see how the system can be used for abuse .... however, the fix is to change the ridiculously insecure method that pretty much anyone could get hold of customers registered plugins, rather than employ this costly (both financially and reputation-wise) cloud back-end. Just employ a normal AES encrypted username/password system to get to the user area, stick the files in an .htaccess protected folder and bam all fine and rosy again :tu:
Last edited by mcbpete on Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

its nothing to do with storage space or bandwidth, if it was, they wouldn't be offering free dl of old free banks for one of their synths

viewtopic.php?p=7439922

its a scam, as business is very poor

Have Discovery and with the current sale crossgrading to Pro including a years worth of it's updates for £22 seems reasonable. Then again I didn't cry when Thorn went to PA, or when Bambi was shot when I was a little boy.

Discovery for £29 or Pro for £55 hardly comes across as any form of scam to new buyers surely?

Would using email, dropbox or .torrent files to share installers really save developers much?

Personally I think there needs to be a "buy a beer" button on dev's and artist's profiles somewhere for when fans are feeling good about their work and have a few quid to spare.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

@whannel I think the issue is more nuanced. It's not so much the cloud service cost. For people like me who bought some disco products late last year (nov 2018 to be exact), I now can not download them without paying for this cloud service. This is poor on disco's part. Further, none of us were informed about this cloud service coming in and so didn't know to go download before it does. I have all my discoDSP emails and none of them metion this. This is also poor on disco's part.

For new users, no problem - the polcies are the polices and you know what you are getting into and can make a decision using knowledge.

Existing customers were not given any consideration. Many purchased for the first time late last year when he was running deep discount sales. But again no word of this cloud service. In fact I recall seeing "updates for a year" were included in the price (time to check the wayback machine).

So we are just warning each other that what you get now with discoDSP is subject to radical change without notice. Go in knowing this. This is a dramatic change from what it was before and hence the drama as we all assimilate the new normal. :phones:

whannel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 pmDiscovery for £29 or Pro for £55 hardly comes across as any form of scam to new buyers surely?
The scam is existing customers having to buy a further subscription to access already bought software. Do you see any other software devs doing that?
He's also deleting any posts on his DSP forum that he doesn't agree with. Very very tacky business approach.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

whannel wrote: Have Discovery and with the current sale crossgrading to Pro including a years worth of it's updates for £22 seems reasonable.
Are you sure? Not that it's of any interest anymore for me but maybe for others.
Tim @ discoDS wrote:When someone buys a license, our main reseller FastSpring delivers the download links which are working for a few days. We recommend Cloud if you need extended access to installers and updates for 1 year too (for all the purchased products).
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

whannel wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:55 pm Have Discovery and with the current sale crossgrading to Pro including a years worth of it's updates for £22 seems reasonable. Then again I didn't cry when Thorn went to PA, or when Bambi was shot when I was a little boy.

Discovery for £29 or Pro for £55 hardly comes across as any form of scam to new buyers surely?

Would using email, dropbox or .torrent files to share installers really save developers much?

Personally I think there needs to be a "buy a beer" button on dev's and artist's profiles somewhere for when fans are feeling good about their work and have a few quid to spare.
And maybe you need some pills to activate your brain cells before talking nonsense and trying to justify what can't be justified.

With all respect.

@Blackwinny This is not ripostelaique. Stick to the rules of this forum.

29.JPG
Only other devs I've seen do it were PA when DS moved there, which is semi-similar to this although paying for his new host rather than a new partner's fees/hosting.

Certainly not something anyone would expect from big time developers, but as many have suggested things must be getting tight and the company needs to make some cash for further development.

As highlighted though it's pretty unfair if you've only just bought it, never saved the installer and can't access it now - you would have hoped they could make an exception by contacting them.

I've seen other dev's attacked here for deleting posts on their own websites where they are trying to sell their own products before. Make your own website and attack from it, see who cares, see how much you have to spend to even draw people there.

It might've been nicer to have a fee per synth rather than a one size fits all, but like he suggests take the upgrades only once every few years, if you even need them after trying their free demo.

I've mixed up my conversion rates on the crossgrade, it's £26. His site says €29 plus (I'm assuming that means including) 1 year Cloud then the only option for me is PayPal rather than FastSpring for this choice.

His perceived attitude may have offended some but he was probably raging given what's been written here and fear of losing business. I'm not bothered about strangers personality, just their end product's quality.

How much is a NordLead, hoping no dev ever replaces my Nova2 for so little but for others to have it's fun I wouldn't mind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

You know, the more I think about what George has done with this cloud service in regard to existing customers, the more I'm thinking this has to be flat out illegal.

If it were me, I'd be suing for not providing the product I paid for based on the purchase conditions at the time I purchased it.

This is so wrong I don't understand how anybody can justify and defend it.

Return to “Instruments”