PLEASE fix Scala tuning!!!

Official support for: kv331audio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Gorgeous synth, have enjoyed it for years, but the Scala microtuning feature is useless when loading any tuning that has more or less than 12 notes. So Bohlen Pierce for example can't work. Quarter tone tuning can't work.

Please either fix the .scl file interpretation or switch to the same .tun implementation everyone else uses. Thank you!

How should we fix it? Any guidelines?
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

If a tuning repeats at every N semitones other than 12 how do you want it to behave?
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:56 pm If a tuning repeats at every N semitones other than 12 how do you want it to behave?
Remember, for tunings like this, the "semitones", the intervals, are a different size, wider or narrower than standard tuning.

Take quarter tone tuning for example. Ideally, middle C (approximately 261.63 Hz) should sit on middle C (MIDI 60), and the octave would be two octaves up (MIDI 84) instead of one octave up. Each MIDI interval would produce a note with a narrower distance from its neighbours, a half of a semitone.

The same thing should happen with, say, 7 tone equal temperament. Starting at middle C (MIDI 60), the octave would fall on the "G" key (MIDI 67) on the keyboard. Each MIDI interval would produce a note with a "wider" distance from its neighbours than a standard semitone.

For a tuning like Bohlen Pierce, which doesn't have repeating octaves, it should work similarly... just without repeating octaves. :)

Ideally, there should be a facility to set the absolute frequency of the tonal centre in Hz, and maybe some ability to set the tonal centre to a different key than MIDI 60 - lower, or higher.

As it is now, Synthmaster plays crazy pitches when using non 12 tone scales because it starts counting at the bottom of the MIDI map (as far as I can tell) and ends up who knows where by the time it counts up to MIDI 60.

If this is all too weird, maybe drop .scl entirely and use Mark Henning's .tun format, for which you can find free source code here. The strength of the .tun format is that it specifies the pitch of each MIDI note so you don't have to think about how to set policy, so to speak.

Thanks for paying attention to the issue of microtuning!

edit: changed a couple of dumb miswordings for clarification...

Any thoughts on this? I'd like to pick up the Synthmaster 1 crossgrade while it's on sale, but I want to know that microtuning fixes will be addressed...

Ficciones wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:55 pm Any thoughts on this? I'd like to pick up the Synthmaster 1 crossgrade while it's on sale, but I want to know that microtuning fixes will be addressed...
Hi there,

I finally added keyboard mapping file support to SM1. Keyboard mapping files (kbm) are really a must for scales to set the root note and set which notes of the scale are mapped on the MIDI keyboard. This update will be available in our next beta build (end of this week).

Also added drag-n-drop scale import support, so you can import multiple files or even folders.
Works at KV331 Audio

Thank you!!! I've never worked with .kbm files before but there's a first time for everything. 🙃

Prepare for some big improvements regarding scales/microtuning features in SynthMaster One:
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 22.33.56.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 22.34.07.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-18 at 23.04.32.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Works at KV331 Audio

I bought the crossgrade to Synthmaster One, unfortunately I can't download the development version you linked in the instruments forum - it just keeps giving me the login screen again, with no error message. Would like to try the new microtuning features! I just bought today, so maybe reg data needs time to percolate across...

Great that you added KBM and drag and dropping of Scala files! What is the version number that has the updates? I'm a registered user, but the user area on your website does not say what date they were updated (date unknown).

SCL files working great in Synthmaster One! Thanks!

Great to see our customers happy :hug:
Works at KV331 Audio

Return to “KV331 Audio”