If you buy a tape vst today.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

+1 on IK's new emus
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

IKM is using a combination of convolution + algorithm? So I expect a high CPU footprint. So in some parts comparable to Acustica Audio ("Taupe" was after my tests horrible).

Oh that is good to know. I'm guessing they probably have some latency? One thing I really like about the Softube is that it doesn't seem to add a noticeable latency (well I haven't noticed it yet anyway). Seems pretty cpu-light as well. I think it is winning me over.

A question to anyone who has it - is there any way of scaling up the GUI (resizing so it's legible with my old man eyes) ??

moshimoshi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 pm... the Softube is that it doesn't seem to add a noticeable latency (well I haven't noticed it yet anyway). ...
Softube Tape has only 4 Samples (@44.1kHz SR) latency.
moshimoshi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 pmSeems pretty cpu-light as well.
Just made a test on my machine (Mac Mini Late 2012 - 4-core 2.3Ghz i7): 32 mono tracks with Softube Tape inserted occupy approx. 25% on 3 cores / 6 threads in my Logic DAW.
moshimoshi wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:56 pmA question to anyone who has it - is there any way of scaling up the GUI (resizing so it's legible with my old man eyes) ??
No. At least not the plugin GUI itself here on my Mac with Logic DAW.
Last edited by Etienne1973 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

escalona wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 am
bmanic wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:03 pm IK Multimedia Tape bundle. By far the best tape emulation I've heard to this day. Yes, including Acustica Audio Taupe which I also like a lot but it can't do proper crunched tape due to the technology limitations. It can go quite far considering the tech but not far enough.

It's worth noting though that Taupe is a massive package with an amazing EQ and a decent compressor included as well!
but... but... it is IK Multimedia!!!

I mean, it has the word "Multimedia" in it!! Like back in the older days of Netscape Navigator!!
:lol: 8) :hihi:
:lol: I remember a point in time when my business card read, “Multimedia Designer.” :oops: To be honest, I can’t currently think of a better description for what I did at that job, but yet... somehow embarrassing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I use Virsyn’s VTAPE, but to be honest, I don’t really use it for anything but the delay and flanger effects. I guess I worked for a long time trying to make a mix that didn’t seem like it was going to take when it was, so now I’m cool with not having a tape like sound, though I do like it as an effect when unnaturally pushed on a single track.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I can't read the subject line without wondering if it will come out to the woods to play.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Happy enough with Softube's Tape that I'm not looking for any more tape emulations.

I'm a GASless weirdo though.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:35 pm I can't read the subject line without wondering if it will come out to the woods to play.
Hehe.

Slate VTM is still a very good all-rounder as tape on groups or on the master bus. CPU usage is highly optimized and it's no problem to run some instances on current systems (that's the big difference to plugins like "Taupe").
Surely there are even better sounding tape emulations but on the other hand they have high latencies and are extremely CPU hungry.
(from IKM I read that some users have with one instance 20-25% CPU usage at idle :o )

As someone who's been into home recording since the early '80's, the advent of tape emulation plugs is something that has always made me chuckle. Those of us of a certain age have spent most of our formative years trying to figure out how to eliminate hiss and other artifacts inherent in the analog recording process. Now not only have noise-inducement plugs been invented, but the quality of that noise is now coveted and sold at a premium. Don't get me wrong, I own (and use) my fair share of these things, but the irony is not lost on me.

Obviously, I'm an old(er) guy, so if you'll excuse me, I now have to go and chase school children off my lawn, feed the pigeons, and rant about the government...

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm ...
Those of us of a certain age have spent most of our formative years trying to figure out how to eliminate hiss and other artifacts inherent in the analog recording process. Now not only have noise-inducement plugs been invented, but the quality of that noise is now coveted and sold at a premium.
With the digitalization everybody thought that you should be happy with the almost "perfect" sound. But soon many people noticed that the "not perfect" sound of the past was more pleasant. Now for years everyone tries to make the "perfect" sound "not perfect" again :hihi:

My favorite sounding Tape plugins are still AirWindows, IronOxide5 and ToTape5.
Also Hornet's Tape vst I can't believe hasn't been mentioned as it's hands down one of the best especially considering the grouping function and auto gain.

I’d buy tape all over again.. in fact I did, I have 2 licenses. Are there better sounding ones? Who knows? Probably. But this performs really well, as in -1% CPU. It’s very easy to use. Just give it some overdrive and use the amount knob to fine tune. I use all 3 modes. The only annoyance is having the open the window pane to get to the gain controls.

Not sure why people talk about warmth with tape? I associate that with tubes and transformers. For a great overall ‘warmer’ that works with everything, definitely give Kazrog True Iron a go. Must have.

Got IK Tape... and sold it almost immediately because of the insane CPU usage on one of my computers.

I for one stick to Softube Tape, Satin and Goodhertz Wow Ctrl depending on what I need. I've tried almost each and every native options and these are the ones I prefer. Do they sound like tape in an indistinguishable way ? I have sincerely no clue? Are they useful when mixing ? Most definitely !

Lately, Tape's B model is the most used of the bunch, it has a certain set and forget quality which I highly value when producing.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

4damind wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm
BERFAB wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:44 pm ...
Those of us of a certain age have spent most of our formative years trying to figure out how to eliminate hiss and other artifacts inherent in the analog recording process. Now not only have noise-inducement plugs been invented, but the quality of that noise is now coveted and sold at a premium.
With the digitalization everybody thought that you should be happy with the almost "perfect" sound. But soon many people noticed that the "not perfect" sound of the past was more pleasant. Now for years everyone tries to make the "perfect" sound "not perfect" again :hihi:
https://youtu.be/hxPsXPCR5MU

Return to “Effects”